TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

La Vuelta

Tour of Spain 2013

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,833 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

Interesting to note that Sky have selected Richie Porte to ride in the USA Pro Challenge and will miss La Vuelta. Everyone thought he would be rewarded for his efforts in the Tour de France by leading the team in Spain.

Chris Froome is also going to the US race so maybe Bradley Wiggins has pulled rank and will lead the team in Spain. He seems to be going well in the Eneco Tour.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#2 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

One for Uran before he leaves Team Sky?

Fides invicta triumphat

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,872 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Question: if 'Vuelta' is Spanish for 'return', what was the first race round Spain called? :P 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thought it was always the plan for Wiggins to target the Vuelta this year after the TdF went belly up for him. He wants all 3 Grand Tours now doesn't he? Vuelta this year and Giro next.

LUNEW.jpg

#5 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

Thought it was always the plan for Wiggins to target the Vuelta this year after the TdF went belly up for him. He wants all 3 Grand Tours now doesn't he? Vuelta this year and Giro next.

Wiggins is way off his target weight for a grand tour after bulking up for the Worlds Time Trial in September. TBH I don't know whether Wiggins has another grand tour win in him. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#6 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Wiggins is way off his target weight for a grand tour after bulking up for the Worlds Time Trial in September. TBH I don't know whether Wiggins has another grand tour win in him.

Last years tour was perfect for him. I doubt he'll be that lucky again. Lot of contrasting news pieces about him. Some saying he doesnt want the pressure of grand tours and now seemingly accepting role of domestique. If he wants to stick with.the classics then.great but if he wants to win grand tours he'll have to leave sky.

#7 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

He's won umpteen Olympic medals, the TDF, and met Sam Tomkins. I think now would be a good time to hang up his cleats.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#8 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

He's only 33 and in his prime as a road cyclist. Cadel Evans won the TDF at 35 and Jens Voight is still a pro cyclist at 41.
Fides invicta triumphat

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,872 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Cadel Evans won the TDF at 35 and Jens Voight is still a pro cyclist at 41.

Yes, but have they met Sam Tomkins eh? Eh? Answer me that!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,833 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Fernando Alonso has saved the Eusaltel Euskadi cycling team from being wound up. Great news, though they will no longer be an exclusively-Basque set-up.

Hopefully, they'll have a different team livery as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ycling/23936407

Edited by Wolford6, 03 September 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#11 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

He's only 33 and in his prime as a road cyclist. Cadel Evans won the TDF at 35 and Jens Voight is still a pro cyclist at 41.

Chris Horner is currently leading the Vuelta at almost 42 years of age.

Today's press conference is going to be very tedious for him I would imagine.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,872 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

This TV film might be to the taste of people on this thread. Not sure where you can get hold of it, mind.

#13 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,833 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Terrific victory for Chris Horner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users