TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Whisky

• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#21 Jackie Slytroosers

Jackie Slytroosers
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

My wife bought me two bottles of Laphroaig for my birthday, the cask strength version at 57.2% (this year's 005 batch) :)  One gets opened tonight!

I treat myself to a bottle of the Laphroaig 18 year old every time I get the first payment in from a new customer or a brand new contract.

My mum sent me a bottle of Talisker and one of my friends bought me a nice Bowmore, decent stuff but not quite Laphroaig.  I have a standing instruction with good friends and family I know are likely to send presents "whisky, must say Islay on it somewhere".

Nothing is like Laphroaig - beautiful stuff.  My favourite.

#22 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Bunnahabhain (spl) is a fave as it is much easier drinking than the others....

My friend's wife can't pronounce it but loves it, she calls it "Bunny Heaven" :P

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

I had some Japanese whisky* a year or so ago. It was okay, but a little bland. Mind you, it was their bottom of the range blend, and some of their whiskies are very well thought of.

*I think it was Yamazaki, but can't remember definitely.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Anyone tried Big Peat? A vatted whisky containing Ardbeg, Bowmore, Caol Ila and Port Ellen sounds very interesting.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

My favourite Islay whisky is Caol Ila, but I found out recently (confirming the suspicions of my tastebuds) that they also supply Sainsbury's own brand Islay single malt, which is only about £20. Ker-chinggg!

I went to Sainsburys today and got a bottle of their own brand Islay on your recommendation. I am now sat here enjoying a generous measure so wanted to say thank you, it's rather nice.

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

I went to Sainsburys today and got a bottle of their own brand Islay on your recommendation. I am now sat here enjoying a generous measure so wanted to say thank you, it's rather nice.

Especially at that price! :) 

I've just bought a bottle of Bowmore, with a bourbon cask finish, and very nice it is too.

#27 tomdooley

tomdooley
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Try the POT STILL pub on hope street glasgow if you want a large selection of whisky.

I like the JURA whiskies from Orkney.

But for a west of scotland weejy WHITE AND MCKAY is the daily tipple.

#28 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Try the POT STILL pub on hope street glasgow if you want a large selection of whisky.

I like the JURA whiskies from Orkney.

But for a west of scotland weejy WHITE AND MCKAY is the daily tipple.

WHITE AND MCKAY?

Hang down your head Tom Dooley.

#29 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

WHITE AND MCKAY?

Hang down your head Tom Dooley.

Could be worse, my in-laws brought me back a bottle of "whisky" from Canada once as they thought I might like it.  It was in a plastic bottle.  I still have it somewhere in one of my cupboards, I'll dig it out and put a picture of it up.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Could be worse, my in-laws brought me back a bottle of "whisky" from Canada once as they thought I might like it.  It was in a plastic bottle.  I still have it somewhere in one of my cupboards, I'll dig it out and put a picture of it up.

Slightly off-topic, but one Christmas, we found ourselves without anything to flame the pudding and it was late on Christmas Eve. We eventually found a shop that was open and returned in triumph...

...looking at it the next morning, the label read "Brandy flavoured Drink". Oh dear. It barely ignited, and went out almost immediately.

So, the next year, we used home-brewed Albanian raki we'd had from a relative of a friend of ours out there. This had the opposite problem, in that it was rather difficult to stop it once lit.

#31 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

It was an attempt at humour.... :bad:

Edited by longboard, 28 August 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#32 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Got told this many a year ago about the spelling of Whisky and Whiskey , that if the country has an E in its spelling its spelt with an E , i've looked it up and it appears to be right............

#33 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Classy. Did it come with a brown paper bag?

Really enjoying the Sainsburys Islay own brand stuff.

#34 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

Whilst I like my malts mainly Speysides to be fair, but venture over to Oban, Talisker (was there last week) and the like on a frequent basis, I just don't get the Laphroaig thing, think I'd rather gargle TCP, same taste after all.........!!!

This place is worth a browse in person if your ever in the area, great little shop!

#35 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

Got told this many a year ago about the spelling of Whisky and Whiskey , that if the country has an E in its spelling its spelt with an E , i've looked it up and it appears to be right............

Americans call theirs whiskey
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#36 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Both English and Welsh whisky is spelt without the E
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#37 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

I almost always take my Whisky with an E.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#38 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Both English and Welsh whisky is spelt without the E

Having looked this up i did'nt realised how many countries made Whiskies ............

#39 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

Gordon and McPhail sell a range of cask strength whiskies. Their website is interesting too.
For anyone that hasn't tried cask strength they really do give a big whisky hit.

I went to their shop in Elgin a few years back - astonishing range of little-known single malts, including ludicrously expensive bottles (£1,000-plus!) and bottles filled from casks bought off long-closed distilleries. For whisky enthusiasts it's a bit of a thrill. At the time I couldn't afford to splash out too much, but picked up a couple of reasonably priced bottles from obscure distilleries.

There's also an excellent whisky shop in Bakewell, of all places. They often have good offers on little-known brands. I think the place is called the Wee Dram.

*Edit: Yep, I'm right: The Wee Dram, Bakewell: http://www.weedram.co.uk *

Edited by West Country Eagle, 29 August 2013 - 09:53 AM.

Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#40 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

*Edit: Yep, I'm right: The Wee Dram, Bakewell: http://www.weedram.co.uk *

Just been having a look on there....I could end up spending a lot of money indulging myself with a few bottles, only problem is deciding which ones.

I remember being away on a work trip at a conference in San Moritz and a restaurant we went to had over 200 different whiskys to choose from. It really was a matter of pointing at a bottle and saying I'll try that one next. Brilliant trip, rubbish conference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users