Whisky

I've consoled myself by buying a discounted bottle of unfiltered Nadurra cask Glenlivet.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've got to go to LA in a couple of weeks so will be checking out duty free for something nice.

I can't remember where but there are a couple of states that it's far cheaper to buy lots of booze on the way in and "red channel" it through customs with the extra duty rather than buy it in stores in the state.  I can't remember whether it's California or NY.  (That may be a sign of one or more of the following:  Too many work trips abroad, too much booze, or premature senility)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I can't remember where but there are a couple of states that it's far cheaper to buy lots of booze on the way in and "red channel" it through customs with the extra duty rather than buy it in stores in the state.  I can't remember whether it's California or NY.  (That may be a sign of one or more of the following:  Too many work trips abroad, too much booze, or premature senility)

I'm only there for a couple of days on business so won't be getting through too many bottles in that time. May just have a look at Heathrow duty free for a bottle of something nice for over Christmas.

I remember driving up the interstate somewhere in New England and seeing a sign saying Liquor Store next exit. I stopped to have a look and it really was very cheap booze. The bottles of single malt were cheaper there than when I visited the distilleries in Scotland. 

You're right about Amazon, and it's also good for presentation boxes as presents. I bought my mum a bottle of Penderyn (Welsh whisky) on Amazon which came with two rather attractive glasses.

I remember trying some of that a long long time ago and if memory serves me right it was rather nice.

I went to Sainsburys a few days ago to try and get another bottle of that Islay single malt recommended on here and they had sold out and I was told they will not be getting anymore. Very disappointed.

Penderyn is absolutely gorgeous.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

There's a hefty markup on everything on that site!  Strangely enough, Amazon is becoming one of the better places to buy decent whisky at a good price and if you're one of those with Amazon Prime it becomes even better as your next day delivery is already covered for a good amount of the whisky on sale.

I get all my Laphroaig direct from the distillery, cuts out the reseller cost and they also give me an annual birthday 10% off voucher that I use to stock up my whisky cupboard.

Very inneresting, Laphroaig is one of my favourites.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Interesting...

Talking of non-Scottish whisky, I tried a Japanese one (Yamazaki) a while ago. Pleasant, but a little bland. I believe that, if you spend a bit more, some of their single malts are very good indeed.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

With the Jocks looking for independence it's probably wise that we start trying to produce a few decent whiskys locally rather than having to import them.

At a recent works do I was given a bottle of Bushmills by a client. I am not a big fan of Irish whisky and this really hasn't done much to change that opinion, it's alright but bland and really not very memorable.

With the Jocks looking for independence it's probably wise that we start trying to produce a few decent whiskys locally rather than having to import them.

At a recent works do I was given a bottle of Bushmills by a client. I am not a big fan of Irish whisky and this really hasn't done much to change that opinion, it's alright but bland and really not very memorable.

I used to drink Jameson's.  I can't remember now if I actually liked it or if I was just being a smug student.  I definitely remember not liking Bushmills.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I used to drink Jameson's.  I can't remember now if I actually liked it or if I was just being a smug student.  I definitely remember not liking Bushmills.

The client is Irish so I suspect they felt they should give me something 'local' plus the label on the bottle was branded with their logo so I suspect they had  a few cases of this stuff to dish out.

I do not have good memories of Jameson's. A mate and me polished off a bottle of that before a big night out one new year's eve in Nottingham. I ended up dragging him home through the snow and I was not a well person the next day.....possibly food poisoning....  :ph34r:

Making whisky is all about the quality of the water. Suffolk water is awful, it's like drinking diluted chalk

I'd still try the Adnams (if it's not too expensive), just out of curiosity.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'd still try the Adnams (if it's not too expensive), just out of curiosity.

3 years in a barrel is probably going to be more like meths rather than a developed whisky. I'll wait until they do at least 8 year old whisky.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 years in a barrel is probably going to be more like meths rather than a developed whisky. I'll wait until they do at least 8 year old whisky.

I can't see Adnams risking their reputation with something undrinkable, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

In the end I bought a bottle of Bowmore 100 Degrees Proof after trying a dram at the airport. It has a nice kick to it.

it's a good drop is bowmore

I've been to the distillery it's really interesting

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

In the end I bought a bottle of Bowmore 100 Degrees Proof after trying a dram at the airport. It has a nice kick to it.

The trick to those airport whisky shops is to have just the right level of whisky snobbery knowledge.  For example, simply being able to pronounce Bunnahabhain (Boon-a-haaven) properly is usually enough to get them to give you a dram or two of the better stuff that they keep hidden from the plebs who couldn't tell an Islay from a Speyside malt.

The mother-in-law brought back a bottle of this from her trip to Arran:

14yo_Bottle_3_0.png?itok=ho34_TNF

It was a beauty.....real taste of Christmas about it

My Mum's recently bought a bottle of Arran malt - not the exact same one as that, but also very nice.

Ralph Waldo Emerson