Whisky

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#81 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'd still try the Adnams (if it's not too expensive), just out of curiosity.

It's available now at £44.  I'd have thought they'd have pitched it nearer £30.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#82 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

I'm not a whisky connoisseur by any means but one of my clients gave me a bottle of 21 year old Isle of Jura recently. Is it worth drinking or is it a donate to a raffle job ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#83 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

I'm not a whisky connoisseur by any means but one of my clients gave me a bottle of 21 year old Isle of Jura recently. Is it worth drinking or is it a donate to a raffle job ?

Is it this?

Be a very generous raffle prize.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#84 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

Is it this?

Be a very generous raffle prize.

Yes. Crikey, didn't realise it was that expensive, thought it was just a run of the mill whisky. Might have to sample it later now, just out of curiosity you understand.

#85 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

It's available now at £44.  I'd have thought they'd have pitched it nearer £30.

I know someone who tried it, his esteemed view was that you'd be better buying a bottle of Bells and mixing it with something like meths.  In fact, you'd be better buying a bottle of Bells and beating yourself with it.  He said it had a bit of promise but was at least 3, and most likely 5-10 years, away from being what you'd consider drinkable if you're a proper whisky man.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#86 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

I know someone who tried it, his esteemed view was that you'd be better buying a bottle of Bells and mixing it with something like meths.  In fact, you'd be better buying a bottle of Bells and beating yourself with it.  He said it had a bit of promise but was at least 3, and most likely 5-10 years, away from being what you'd consider drinkable if you're a proper whisky man.

As UB40 said "food for thought"...doe's that apply to wine.

#87 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,594 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Benromach, the first time I've tried it. Very pale, very interesting.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#88 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Mum got me a glenlivet 18 year old for Xmas

Great memories of sharing with my dad.

Lovely drink and special times

#89 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

A bottle of Midleton Very Rare very gratefully received for Christmas.

This is my fourth bottle, and I have yet to take them up on their offer of a guided tasting tour. I might try to give that a go this year.

#90 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

To continue the Christmas present theme. My son got me a bottle of Lagavulin.

Never had it before. I like it very much. 

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#91 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

A bottle of Midleton Very Rare very gratefully received for Christmas.

This is my fourth bottle, and I have yet to take them up on their offer of a guided tasting tour. I might try to give that a go this year.

Good stuff, the Midleton VR.

If you visit the distillery, a meal at the nearby Ballymaloe should be worth consideration. Good sea fishing from Ballycotton, which is c10 miles from Midleton if that's your thing.

#92 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

Well I tried the Jura but it was probably wasted on me. The best thing I can say about it is that at least it didn't feel like I'd swallowed molten lava like most whisky does.

#93 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

Easily my favourite.
I had a couple of bottles of whisky given me, a bottle of Jura "Superstition" it's described as "lightly peated" and with notes of caramel. I found it a bit sweet, I was also given a bottle of Black Grouse, now I find ordinary Grouse a bit sweet for my taste but the Black Grouse was really nice. If you like peaty malts it's worthwhile trying as it's not that expensive.
I also stumbled across this
http://www.masterofm...es/islay-storm/
Again this looks to be reasonable price..
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#94 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Well I tried the Jura but it was probably wasted on me. The best thing I can say about it is that at least it didn't feel like I'd swallowed molten lava like most whisky does.

I have never enjoyed a Jura myself, despite being assured that I should.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#95 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,594 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Good stuff, Lagavulin. Bit extreme for some tastes, but if you enjoy your Islay malts, lovely.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#96 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,594 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

Aberlour A'Bunadh - Batch 42 (I'm pretty sure it's No.42, but I'd have to check). A cask-strength Speyside, finished in Oloroso barrels. Deep, dark, fabulous and (slightly) discounted at Waitrose.

A more detailed description and review.

Edited by Futtocks, 13 January 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#97 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

I quite like (Spanish) brandy but can't take to whisky!  A friend has become a recent convert (and bore) of single malts and keeps trying to convert me.

I do try it now and again to see if my palate has changed, but I usually look like I'm in the finals of the Grassmere Gurning Competition when I taste it!

It all tastes 'peaty' to me.  That is, as if it has been taken from an Irish bog - and by bog, I don't mean a swamp!!

#98 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,594 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

I quite like (Spanish) brandy but can't take to whisky!  A friend has become a recent convert (and bore) of single malts and keeps trying to convert me.

I do try it now and again to see if my palate has changed, but I usually look like I'm in the finals of the Grassmere Gurning Competition when I taste it!

It all tastes 'peaty' to me.  That is, as if it has been taken from an Irish bog - and by bog, I don't mean a swamp!!

He may just be a fan of Islay malts, which are peaty - some being extremely peaty. Lighter mainland whiskies might be more to your taste.

#99 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

never been a whiskey lover as i always seem to end up with a massive headache before i even get home. dont mind the odd jack d or 3. always love the honey rums(ron miel) from gran canaria when on holidays, but i had a bottle of georgia moonshine peach mash bought for christmas by my wife off drinkfinder and it were spot on,some type a corn whiskey that even came in a masons jar. i sure slept like a polar bear over the new year that for sure. been wanting to try a few moonshines so if anyone can recomend anywere over here that will be fine,many thanks,and happy new year.

#100 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,594 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

Now rum - there's a thing. Never liked it 'til fairly recently, finding it harsh and almost metallic. Then I tried a few different ones and absolutely fell for Angostura 1919 rum. Like drinking a glass of sunshine!

A little research revealed that most run is made and bottled pretty quickly, but a bit of ageing can make for a much nicer drink. They don't tend to be aged as long as whisky, but the 8 years for Angostura 1919 certainly have an effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users