The Beast at the World Cup?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

With the 2013 World Cup only months away, our former hero Alex Walmsley make the England set-up? I'm biased obviously, but for me he's been one of the standout players in this seasons SL and deserves a squad place on merit. Many fans and pundits are touting him for a call-up. If Adrian Morley wins selection and Alex doesn't, then it'll be an absolute travesty. What do you think people?

Posted Image

#2 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

I think its too early for Alex, he needs a season playing some competitive internationals in the Knights squad and also training with the full squad, he's good so dont get me wrong but theres really nothing to gain by throwing him in at the deep end too early, theres been the odd occasion in Super League games this season where he's looked a little lost for a short spell which i suspect is because he isn't quite up to the full fitness levels Super League demands.

It would benefit him to be with the squad during the World Cup just to get used to the International set up but i think give him another good pre season training at full tilt then next year he'll be ready big style.

Oh and sack McBanana, that'll do everyone the world of good.

#3 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

I heard hes playing for Scotland in the world cup ????

#4 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

I think its too early for Alex, he needs a season playing some competitive internationals in the Knights squad and also training with the full squad, he's good so dont get me wrong but theres really nothing to gain by throwing him in at the deep end too early, theres been the odd occasion in Super League games this season where he's looked a little lost for a short spell which i suspect is because he isn't quite up to the full fitness levels Super League demands.

It would benefit him to be with the squad during the World Cup just to get used to the International set up but i think give him another good pre season training at full tilt then next year he'll be ready big style.

Oh and sack McBanana, that'll do everyone the world of good.

Maybe it is a year too early for him, Gary. It'd certainly be a meteroic rise for him if he won selection. Scotland? I guess it's a possibility if he has Scottish roots and wasn't in the England reckoning. It'd be great to see him playing, either way. For that matter, are there any of our current squad who are in the reckoning? Byron Smith has caps for Wales but is unlikely to feature I guess. Anyone else? Gareth Moore for Scotland?

Edited by TheTerminator, 14 August 2013 - 08:59 AM.

Posted Image

#5 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

How is Walmsley's brother coming along? He doesn't get much mention in the match reports.

Edited by frank, 14 August 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#6 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

How is Walmsley's brother coming along? He doesn't get much mention in the match reports.

He hasn't played in a wee while. Started the season off without really breaking any pots, then had a really good three or four game spell where he looked like the new Gorden Tallis. His form then took a downturn and he's not been seen in recent matches. Rumoured to be off to Fev, which seems a strange move from their point of view.

Posted Image

#7 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Maybe it is a year too early for him, Gary. It'd certainly be a meteroic rise for him if he won selection. Scotland? I guess it's a possibility if he has Scottish roots and wasn't in the England reckoning. It'd be great to see him playing, either way. For that matter, are there any of our current squad who are in the reckoning? Byron Smith has caps for Wales but is unlikely to feature I guess. Anyone else? Gareth Moore for Scotland?

gareth moore over danny brough? Steve mccormack ain't that daft

#8 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

gareth moore over danny brough? Steve mccormack ain't that daft

Obviously not, Mr Cup. He might be in with a chance of making the squad, though.

Posted Image

#9 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

Obviously not, Mr Cup. He might be in with a chance of making the squad, though.

he might if they stay with the scotland lads from past few years and not the nrl lads expecting to a game due there grandads cat being scottish

#10 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

So who's the England props then? Who has done the damage this year?
Burgess, Graham, for me. But who else?
Hill? Big Eorl? There's quite a lot to choose from IMO and I don't think Walmsley would be out of his depth. As much as I've enjoyed the efforts of (the likes of) Peacock and Morley in the past, I wouldn't be happy seeing them get a place this time round.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#11 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

So who's the England props then? Who has done the damage this year?
Burgess, Graham, for me. But who else?
Hill? Big Eorl? There's quite a lot to choose from IMO and I don't think Walmsley would be out of his depth. As much as I've enjoyed the efforts of (the likes of) Peacock and Morley in the past, I wouldn't be happy seeing them get a place this time round.

Hill has gone downhill from his initial impact in Super League without a doubt, teams look for him early on in a game and dish him some treatment which leaves him thinking twice about the next time he drives the ball in, Eorl!!!!!!! wouldnt give him a starting spot, possibly not even a spot on the bench, Carvell, now theres a guy who gets better with age.

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

Kyle Amor would be in there for me, he's been outstanding whenever I've seen Wakefield play this season. Regardless, we may as well not bother even taking part of McNamara plays Sinfield at stand-off, as expected. The weird obsession with picking forwards at stand-off began when Phil Clarke was chosen there against Australia for the first Test in 1994. Admittedly, it proved a tactical masterstroke in that instance, but it hasn't worked since and won't in the future. Shoe-horning Sinfield into the side simply on the basis that he's a lynchpin at Leeds is pure folly.

Edited by TheTerminator, 15 August 2013 - 09:00 AM.

Posted Image

#13 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

In which position does the mercurial Sinfield play mat Leeds?

It`s difficult to say who will be in as McNamara as his favourites. Peacock has retired from the international game so he`s out.. I think there is a strong possiblity Sam Burgess will play in the back row and Tom Burgess in the front row. I think Hill, Mossop, Crabtree, Graham and maybe Morley will be selected for the squad. I hope Walmsey is selected as I think Morley is well passed it and even Peacock`s form is superior to his. Ferres may have an outside chance but I think Carvell will miss out.

Back rowers, I would say S.Burgess, Westwood, Ellis, Farrell, O`Loughlin. Harrison, Tickle and Jones-Buchanan in the hunt.

Hookers is an interesting one, although he will probably go for tried and tested Roby and one other from a list of a few. I like Lunt and/or Burrow, he`ll probably go for McIlorum.

Halves- Sinfield, Chase and Smith as it looks like Myler is out and Widdop is definitely out. Our weakest positions by far. I quite like Robinson.

Three quarters (wing)- Charnley, Hall and Jones-Bishop, think Lineham will miss out unfortunately. Centres- Reed, Watkins, Hardaker.

Full back- Don`t think I need to say really.

Don`t think we are a million miles away really. The obvious problem is the halves and this obsession with the Sinfield/Chase partnership.

Edited by vitocorleone, 15 August 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#14 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

unfortunately the kangaroos could pick two teams that would beat this England squad/team....  :( 

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#15 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Wouldnt have JJB in a Leeds team let alone an England side, very poor and looks too much like the asian fella on the tills/trolleys at Tescos for my liking

#16 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

In which position does the mercurial Sinfield play mat Leeds?

It`s difficult to say who will be in as McNamara as his favourites. Peacock has retired from the international game so he`s out.. I think there is a strong possiblity Sam Burgess will play in the back row and Tom Burgess in the front row. I think Hill, Mossop, Crabtree, Graham and maybe Morley will be selected for the squad. I hope Walmsey is selected as I think Morley is well passed it and even Peacock`s form is superior to his. Ferres may have an outside chance but I think Carvell will miss out.

Back rowers, I would say S.Burgess, Westwood, Ellis, Farrell, O`Loughlin. Harrison, Tickle and Jones-Buchanan in the hunt.

Hookers is an interesting one, although he will probably go for tried and tested Roby and one other from a list of a few. I like Lunt and/or Burrow, he`ll probably go for McIlorum.

Halves- Sinfield, Chase and Smith as it looks like Myler is out and Widdop is definitely out. Our weakest positions by far. I quite like Robinson.

Three quarters (wing)- Charnley, Hall and Jones-Bishop, think Lineham will miss out unfortunately. Centres- Reed, Watkins, Hardaker.

Full back- Don`t think I need to say really.

Don`t think we are a million miles away really. The obvious problem is the halves and this obsession with the Sinfield/Chase partnership.

Interesting suggestions there. I agree about Lineham. He has the physical presence our backs need, and it's also in the backs where we have been out gunned. The halves are the key though. Is Widdop definitely out? I know he was badly injured but I thought he might have had a chance to be fit. The madness of it is that Mc Namara would not have picked him despite the fact he was an outstanding player in the NRL. I just do not understand the need to play Sinfield at stand off though. Not quick enough, though I would have him in somewhere, maybe hooker or Loose. Brough should have been in in my opinion, and McNamara should have been building bridges with him a long while ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users