Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oxford RL 'Academy' taking Coventry Bears place in NCL3 in 2014?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

"Cavaliers plan to field a joint side with Oxford RL at Conference tier three level, while keeping another team in the West of England League."

http://www.oxfordmai...ammered/?ref=nt

Anyone know anything else about it?

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#2 RichardJ

RichardJ
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

I would expect it is more likely that Oxford would be applying for a place in NCL South rather than NCL3

#3 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

I would expect it is more likely that Oxford would be applying for a place in NCL South rather than NCL3

That's what I though, but that's not how it reads.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#4 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

Not that surprising, though they're going to need a lot of players if they're going to run two sides. The Cavs have struggled at times to field one side this season (though they have fulfilled all their fixtures). It does make some sense, though, as in the long term Oxford RL need reserves/a bigger squad. This year their fringe players had nowhere to go (though I hear some made an appearance/appearances for another Conference League South club)
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#5 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

Also, two other things that point to Conference League South:

1. Dual reg - allowed in CLS but not NCL3
2. NCL sides get a nosebleed travelling to Coventry, so Oxford would definitely be too far.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#6 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Any idea of the line up for CLS next year? What are the rumours?

#7 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Do they fulfil the criteria and have the NCL clubs voted them in ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#8 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Any idea of the line up for CLS next year? What are the rumours?

As WCE says above re dual reg, so it prob means Conf League South

This is what I wrote a few days ago on another thread -

Teams who want to play in National South next season - including the current  or  any new ones - have to register their interest with the RFL before 31st August, so you might hear who's doing what after that date.  Depends on who you speak to as to what is happening in Nat South, I've heard that one team is definitely considering dropping out, but have also been told two teams are considering joining, but its all just rumour until its announced, I just hope that it will be done quickly as it effects a lot of clubs who need to know about next season. 

Edited by Jasper, 14 August 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#9 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

Do they fulfil the criteria and have the NCL clubs voted them in ?

From what I've seen the criteria in CLS aren't as strict as they are for NCL.

#10 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

From what I've seen the criteria in CLS aren't as strict as they are for NCL.

But next year the criteria for CLS are a lot stricter than this year

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#11 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

Coventry bears arnt even in the top five of NCL three and in their current capacity just aint good enough to play in the pro ranks.
Lets see how they fare next season but I can see another RFL pipe dream coming crashing down.

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

The last three sides to join CC1 did okay why do you think that Cov would be an exception to this?

#13 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

The last three sides to join CC1 did okay why do you think that Cov would be an exception to this?

Maybe they aren't northern enough.

rldfsignature.jpg

#14 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

Coventry bears arnt even in the top five of NCL three and in their current capacity just aint good enough to play in the pro ranks.
Lets see how they fare next season but I can see another RFL pipe dream coming crashing down.

Have you had a look at their business plan, spoken to them about player recruitment for  next year or considered at all that they are stronger than University of Gloucester All Golds were this time last year, or Oxford?

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#15 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

As the 2 leagues operate under different rules regarding players, don't allow P&R, etc, does it matter where Coventry finish?

If only we had a fully joined up league system... it could almost be a pyramid... I bet no other sport does it...

Edited by Bedford Roughyed, 19 August 2013 - 08:24 PM.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#16 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

As the 2 leagues operate under different rules regarding players, don't allow P&R, etc, does it matter where Coventry finish?

If only we had a fully joined up league system... it could almost be a pyramid... I bet no oOther sport does it...

If Cov had gone into that league knowing they had to finish top 2 to get promotion they may have approached the season differently. The league was a step up to help them prepare for championship 1 next year
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#17 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

If only we had a fully joined up league system... it could almost be a pyramid... I bet no other sport does it...

Which other sport has it's third tier better run than it's tier 1 & 2.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#18 RLRatings

RLRatings
  • Players
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'll go for, erm, hurling?

www.rugbyleagueratings.com - proving that Featherstone were bound to beat Cas, since 2011.

#19 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

Is Championship 1 run significantly better than the championship?

#20 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Is Championship 1 run significantly better than the championship?

Tier 1 is SuperLeague

Tier 2 is the Championship and Championship 1

Tier 3 is NCL and Southern Conference

Tier 4 is the rest of us!
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users