Photo
- - - - -

Oxford RL 'Academy' taking Coventry Bears place in NCL3 in 2014?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Tier 1 is SuperLeague

Tier 2 is the Championship and Championship 1

Tier 3 is NCL and Southern Conference

Tier 4 is the rest of us!

Cheers, why deviate from the system used in every other sport? Surely the point of tiers is to identify equivalent competitions in different geographical areas! Championship 1 is obviously not equivalent to the Championship
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#22 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

Cheers, why deviate from the system used in every other sport? Surely the point of tiers is to identify equivalent competitions in different geographical areas! Championship 1 is obviously not equivalent to the Championship

Isn't it to do with levels of professionalism?

Tier 1 - Super League
High standards, full time professiona;

Tier 2 - Champs/champs 1
Higher standards than amateur comps, part time players

Tier 3 - NCL/SCL etc
Standards-driven amateur competitions for clite amateur clubs. No ban on payments to players. Dual reg allowed in CLS and maybe NCL in future (or maybe not - up to the clubs in the comp to decide)

Tier 4 - Social Game
I.E everything else, not standards driven. Amateur/no payments.

The "tiered" structure basically means that, in theory, a club could start at the bottom and make it all the way up to SL. OK, it's not going to happen any time soon, but that's the theory.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#23 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

My club is in Tier 4 - is there any reason why we shouldn't / can't pay players if we wanted to?
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,385 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

My club is in Tier 4 - is there any reason why we shouldn't / can't pay players if we wanted to?

You'll lose the 'A' in ARLFC.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#25 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

You'll lose the 'A' in ARLFC.

We don't have it

#26 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

finding the coin

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#27 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

finding the coin

Well obviously, and the other complications that arise from paying some and not others, loyalty etc. But I don't think there are any rules that prohibit this, at least if it's not a BARLA affiliated league.

#28 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

Any idea of the line up for CLS next year? What are the rumours?

Valley Cougars will be in it

#29 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

Any idea of the line up for CLS next year? What are the rumours?

Valley Cougars will be in it

Speaking to a committee member from one of the clubs, and rumour control has it that two clubs 'might' be leaving (both due to travel costs).  Several clubs interested in joining, possibly one from west country,  but nothing definite until they apply by end of August.

#30 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I see St Albans are dropping down to the London Premiership next season after a difficult year this year.

#31 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Any word on who will make way in the London Premier or will it go ahead as a seven-team conference?

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#32 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

I have heard that the plan is to make it an 8 team league like it used to be, 14 fixtures home & away.

#33 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Rumour control has it that there are several teams joining the London Premiership next season.  St Albans from the NCL South and at least two might be making the step up, which I think gives 9 teams with 16 rounds plus the London Cup competition.  However, I can't see anything being confirmed until the new year.

#34 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

If this is true then it's great news (finally) but many development areas still seem averse to push beyond 14 rounds.

#35 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

I see St Albans are dropping down to the London Premiership next season after a difficult year this year.

Its on our website now so I can confirm we will be applying to go back to the London Prem in 2014.  This season was horrific for us, we lost our coach/development officer and five senior players and did not get one new recruit.  We also suffered from a terrible run of injuries, so much so that we never played the same squad in any two games.  However, for the first time, all our players are local boys - not one Antipodean - (except for one lad from Widnes) which is great for the development of the club.  So we decided to regroup in the London Prem and build up our team again.

Rumour control has it that there are several teams joining the London Premiership next season.  St Albans from the NCL South and at least two might be making the step up, which I think gives 9 teams with 16 rounds plus the London Cup competition.  However, I can't see anything being confirmed until the new year.

I have also heard the rumour that there are several more clubs trying to get into the London Prem for next season, maybe another three or four clubs, (including us) are interested in joining.  If true, and it is a big if, I wonder if the powers that be would let a 9/10 team prem league go ahead?  But I also have been told that nothing will be decided/announced until after the World Cup.

Edited by Exiled Townie, 16 September 2013 - 08:30 PM.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#36 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

The problem right now is season length.  If you want a bigger league, you need to start earlier.  To get the Harry Jepson Trophy played, the Grand Final can’t really move from where it was this year on the third Saturday in August.  This season was 16 weeks long including the 9’s.  Four reserved weekends for the cup, one weekend for the nines and ten games fitting snugly in the remaining 11 weeks.    Hemel played two games before the 9’s but if you want a 14 week season and the cup and the 9s, everybody has to start in the last weekend of March with no rest weekends between.

Looking at the teams involved in the leagues right now, you have to wonder which ones are looking to move up.

London Premier

Last season:  Eastern Rhinos, Elmbridge Eagles, Hammersmith Hills Hoists, Hemel Stags A, London Skolars A, SWL Chargers

Applied/potential: St Albans Centurions

SE Regional

Last season: Medway Dragons, Portsmouth Navy Seahawks, Southampton Spitfires, Guildford Giants, Sussex Merlins, Weald Warriors

For completeness, the London Entry League

Last season: Barking & Dagenham Bulldogs, Beckenham Bears, Greenwich Admirals, Hammersmith Hill Hoists A, Mudchute Uncles, Newham Dockers, South West London Chargers A, Southend Spartans, St Albans Centurions A, Staines Titans, Thames Ditton Tigers, Weald Warriors A.

Unlikely to return: Barking and Dagenham (maybe - EGM to dissolve club at end of the month) Greenwich (folded midseason after playing one game), Mudchute (rumour mill suggests they’ll merge with Newham).

Applied/potential: South London RL, Enfield Enforcers

This would create a 2014 Entry League, unless there are major changes, of:

Barking & Dagenham Bulldogs (maybe), Beckenham Bears, Enfield Enforcers, Hammersmith Hill Hoists A, Newham Dockers, South London RL, South West London Chargers A, Southend Spartans, St Albans Centurions A, Staines Titans, Thames Ditton Tigers, Weald Warriors A.

And anybody else who turned up...

#37 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

Rock and a hard place really.  The one thing you hear  at clubs and forums is 'We need to make our season longer to compete with union'.  So what would happen if all six clubs from the London Prem stay in, St Albans joins them, and, say, two more clubs want to step up and they are good, well run clubs.  That would give you a nine team league, with sixteen rounds.  Add to that the nines and the cup comp and that give you a 21 week season.  Could we /should we run a 21 week season?

#38 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

If we're running 21 weeks and after the terrible weather we had last season, we might as well play in winter!

#39 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

If anyone thinks a London League will go longer than 14/15 'regular season' weeks then they are dreaming.

You can't start earlier due to Rugby Union finals taking place & you can't go longer (passed Challenge Cup Weekend) due to Harry Jepson etc.

You could run a 8 team comp max (14 rounds, a 9 team comp is the same as a 10 team comp) and maybe squeeze a cup competition before the regular season for the clubs that have enough players. With 50% of the cup games walk overs you would argue should it continue in the same format anyway?

9's could be played on a bank holiday weekend mid season?

#40 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

If anyone thinks a London League will go longer than 14/15 'regular season' weeks then they are dreaming.

You can't start earlier due to Rugby Union finals taking place & you can't go longer (passed Challenge Cup Weekend) due to Harry Jepson etc.

You could run a 8 team comp max (14 rounds, a 9 team comp is the same as a 10 team comp) and maybe squeeze a cup competition before the regular season for the clubs that have enough players. With 50% of the cup games walk overs you would argue should it continue in the same format anyway?

9's could be played on a bank holiday weekend mid season?

The Harry Jepson can be moved if the leagues that feed it want to run longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users