Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oxford RL 'Academy' taking Coventry Bears place in NCL3 in 2014?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

The Harry Jepson can be moved if the leagues that feed it want to run longer.

But they would all have to agree. At what forum would that be discussed?

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#42 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

But they would all have to agree. At what forum would that be discussed?

Regional Men's Leagues Management Group would be most appropriate.

#43 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

Staines want to move out of the entry league and have asked to go in the premier league

#44 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Not sure how I feel about that one. On one hand, they're the best team based on player quality in the Entry League. They destroyed Weald and Elmbridge and beat Skolars A en route to the London Cup final. On the other, they barely scheduled a league game and then flaked on the playoffs.

I've suggested before that what's needed is a parallel division to the SERL which is a fully-fixtured 6 team division. Who those teams are, I don't know. If Staines, SL and Enfield are eager for fully fixtured, you need three other teams to take up the challenge.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#45 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

Staines want to move out of the entry league and have asked to go in the premier league

Surely the next step up for Staines would be from the London & South East Entry League to the South East League, then if they can manage that, into the London Premiership.

According to the London RL website, they only played 3 games this season.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#46 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Apparently some teams wouldnt play them as they were to strong.

They did play four cup games as well beating two premier teams.

#47 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

If Staines went into South East Regional then away days would be:
Southhampton
Portsmouth
Brighton
Gillingham (Medway)
Tunbridge Wells (Weald)
Guildford

Almost as bad as yours this year Exiled Townie?

I echo BBFAZ suggestion of a London Regional League, these four are a shoe in:

Newham/Mudchute Dockers
Beckenham Bears
Staines Titans
Thames Ditton (Esher) Tigers

Plus 2 from:

Enfield
South London
SW London A
Hammersmith A

Have a six team comp (10 rounds) which leaves weeks to reschedule if needed?

Teams could still enter Entry League when not playing in London Regional League?

Edited by London Drifter, 18 September 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#48 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

I think 5 team divisions with three (or more) weeks to enter into a Merit league arrangement would work quite well.  So you'd have South East Regional and London Regional, get a couple of days out in the big smoke/in the sticks with inter-conference play and have an inter-conference playoff to have a second tier grand final champion.

#49 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

I've suggested before that what's needed is a parallel division to the SERL which is a fully-fixtured 6 team division.

Surely the next step up for Staines would be from the London & South East Entry League to the South East League,

If Staines went into South East Regional then away days would be:
Southhampton
Portsmouth
Brighton
Gillingham (Medway)
Tunbridge Wells (Weald)
Guildford

Almost as bad as yours this year Exiled Townie?

I echo BBFAZ suggestion of a London Regional League, these four are a shoe in:

Newham/Mudchute Dockers
Beckenham Bears
Staines Titans
Thames Ditton (Esher) Tigers

Plus 2 from:

Enfield
South London
SW London A
Hammersmith A

Have a six team comp (10 rounds) which leaves weeks to reschedule if needed?

Teams could still enter Entry League when not playing in London Regional League?

Sorry BBFaz & London Drifter I misunderstood what you were saying.  Yes, it would be a good idea to have separate London and SEast regional leagues.  If we can see that, surely someone in a higher position in the RFL can as well. 

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.

#50 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

The other idea somebody suggested before (I don't claim it as original work) is for two smaller divisions in the SE Regional League, maybe a "Metropolitan" division and a "Provincial" division.  Have teams like Weald, Sussex, Guildford, Southampton and Portsmouth in the provincial division and five London(ish) teams in another group.  Have a bit of crossover between the divisions to fill the season out and a joint playoff.

From what I've had said to me, the problem is clubs themselves looking to commit to a full season.  How many of the A teams are readily available week-in, week-out?  How many of the standalone clubs?

#51 BearPie

BearPie
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Coventry bears arnt even in the top five of NCL three and in their current capacity just aint good enough to play in the pro ranks.
Lets see how they fare next season but I can see another RFL pipe dream coming crashing down.

Only just seen this. As has been mentioned, the playing side has minimal bearing on how the team look in C1.

What is more important at this stage in that respect is the player pathway to feed a C1 team, which we have in place, in addition to a strong plan for a team structure for C1.

I'm more than happy to talk you through the many reasons why we are ready to step up. No pipe dreams at Coventry Bears, just credible sustainable growth with new and innovative ways of developing a Rugby League club.

#52 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Only just seen this. As has been mentioned, the playing side has minimal bearing on how the team look in C1.

What is more important at this stage in that respect is the player pathway to feed a C1 team, which we have in place, in addition to a strong plan for a team structure for C1.

I'm more than happy to talk you through the many reasons why we are ready to step up. No pipe dreams at Coventry Bears, just credible sustainable growth with new and innovative ways of developing a Rugby League club.

Are you going to step up to Championship 1 next years, as originally planned, or in 2015 as hinted at in Rugby League World?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#53 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

I was mearly questioning the wisdom of the rfl.

If you have a business plan to enter C1 good luck n all the best.

Personally I think your club would benefit more long term from staying on the NCL learning curve for the next couple of seasons at least rather than going too big too soon.

#54 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Does anybody know for sure if Barking and Dagenham are done?  Paddy posted a cryptic tweet, "So long and thanks for all the fish", and their Pitchero is now down.  Given they had a meeting on Monday to either fold the club or see somebody come forward to take over the running of it, does this mean the end?

#55 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Does anybody know for sure if Barking and Dagenham are done?  Paddy posted a cryptic tweet, "So long and thanks for all the fish", and their Pitchero is now down.  Given they had a meeting on Monday to either fold the club or see somebody come forward to take over the running of it, does this mean the end

This was on their facebook a couple of days ago -

"Today at the EGM, with no additional assistance or volunteers present from members, the local community or the RFL, the motion to dissolve the club was carried by 9 votes to 1. We wish anyone associated with us previously all the very best in anything they decide to do in the future."

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Barking-Dagenham-Bulldogs-RLFC/178856625539029

Edited by Exiled Townie, 03 October 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#56 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

######.  Another one bites the dust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users