Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

if you were young and unemployed today

figures out again

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

figures out today show un employment slightly down but the number of young people out of work risen yet again, I think if I was say 19-20ish and couldn't get a foot on the ladder I would be wondering why and most likely looking for some one or some thing  to blame, is it the banks fault? is it because british industry has gone to the dogs? is it because the country is awash with cheap foreign labour? is it because youths expect more for less these days? why is a british young persons employment prospects looking gloomier than ever before in 2013 Britain?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

figures out today show un employment slightly down but the number of young people out of work risen yet again, I think if I was say 19-20ish and couldn't get a foot on the ladder I would be wondering why and most likely looking for some one or some thing  to blame, is it the banks fault? is it because british industry has gone to the dogs? is it because the country is awash with cheap foreign labour? is it because youths expect more for less these days? why is a british young persons employment prospects looking gloomier than ever before in 2013 Britain?

I would dare to say it's probably a bit of everything. 

The company I work for has taken on about 20 apprentices in about 5 years.  (We are a national multi-million company).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

The 2 young people I've just seen walking round Sainsbury's wondering "how much that ###### cost" are probably not typical, however, there's a certain number of young people who are basically unemployable. Entirely through their own actions/appearance/etc. There was a couple of interviews on a radio station this morning where starting at the bottom was somehow beneath them, their degree being a waste of money if it meant them working at Tesco stacking shelves.

We advertised for 2 positions a couple of years ago, 1 a more senior position, the other was for a school leaver to come in and do the crappy lab jobs. We ended up with 2 forty/fifty somethings, I think 1 under 20 applied for a position.

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,605 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Part of the problem is that young people aren't being properly prepared for the working environment. The schools allow them to present and perform work to an inadequate standard.

I have had numerous schoolkids (sixth form and college) work part-time for me. Their competence at spelling and grammar is atrocious.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,694 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

It seems that a large proportion of an entire generation does not have the work ethic of previous generations. We all know that the only way to become successful in life (however that may be defined) is through hard work, failing and learning from your mistakes. A lot of young people want the benefits of success without the hard work.

I must also point out that the majority of young people I work with are nothing like I have described and I'm assuming we are taking about unemployable young people.
Fides invicta triumphat

#6 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Can't help but think if I was unemployed and in my late teens/early 20's and be on my bike so to speak, might as well make use of the EU, most of it no more than a budget air ticket or long but cheap coach ride away.

#7 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Part of the problem is that young people aren't being properly prepared for the working environment. The schools allow them to present and perform work to an inadequate standard.

I have had numerous schoolkids (sixth form and college) work part-time for me. Their competence at spelling and grammar is atrocious.

to be fair I have seen kids spend months at college in my trade, come back to site with a nvq level3 qualification and be just as useless as the day they left school, you cant beat practical on site sink or swim learning.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#8 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

Spot on there mate. I despair at the spelling of the young kids at work and I've given up trying to explain the difference between have and of.

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

Being young and unemployed in the early 80's was far worse than today. You were basically left to rot. There was a few crappy schemes like YOP/YTS but nothing like the range of help available today.
Not that we gave a toss really mind.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#10 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Being young and unemployed in the early 80's was far worse than today. You were basically left to rot. There was a few crappy schemes like YOP/YTS but nothing like the range of help available today.

with all due respect- think the options were a lot more open back then, industry and manufacturing were still strong and once on the ladder the future path was easier, mens jobs were not considered to be on supermarket tills back then.

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,946 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Manufacturing was shedding thousands of jobs a day and skilled, experienced workers at that during the 80s. Who the hell was going to employ a school leaver?

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

with all due respect- think the options were a lot more open back then, industry and manufacturing were still strong and once on the ladder the future path was easier, mens jobs were not considered to be on supermarket tills back then.

They were not mate. I left school in 1982 and major manufacturing was disappearing fast. There weren't even many big supermarkets then to get jobs on the tills.

#13 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

It seems that a large proportion of an entire generation does not have the work ethic of previous generations. We all know that the only way to become successful in life (however that may be defined) is through hard work, failing and learning from your mistakes. A lot of young people want the benefits of success without the hard work.

I'd say you are not far off the mark with that statement.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#14 metallithrax

metallithrax
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

When have school kids ever been prepared, when I left school, I knew nothing about working environments, apart from what I was told by my father.

The YTS/YOP schemes may have been crappy., but they did help a lot of people on their way - including me.

#15 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

The difference now is that businesses and individuals now are focused only on the short term.

That's the societal shift that will forever be Maggie's toxic legacy.

#16 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

Toxic legacy? So people should walk into the mill at 18 and leave at 65?

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

Toxic legacy? So people should walk into the mill at 18 and leave at 65?

What an odd interpretation.

#18 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

Almost as odd as your post.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

The YTS/YOP schemes may have been crappy., but they did help a lot of people on their way - including me.

I'm glad it helped you but generally it was £25 for effectively a full time job (that was just a cheap labour scam) or if it wasn't that, it was a total waste of time course in something or other.
There certainly wasn't the encouragement to go to Uni etc

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

Manufacturing is still strong. Aerospace, defence, automotive, process etc.can't`get enough skilled, bright and qualified engineers . One problem is getting the right people to the right part of the country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users