Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

if you were young and unemployed today

figures out again

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

I'm damnably glad I don't have to go through that now.   Me too, but that relates to the environment  expectations  and situation we we brought up so  maybe its a matter of the different contemporary  environment kids have lived through. If through their school life, kids are conditioned to think: A-levels. degree, job in chosen field, then yes, there are going to be a lot of disappointed kids. However, 

Think of it like this:

Its a university education, not a university training.  

Many companies DO run training and apprenticeship schemes and its increasing.

The depressing thing is that these seems to be still an attitude in some "working class" parents that university is not for the likes of us, a disdain for ambition and attainment,  a Sun/Mirror based celebrity culture, the idea that working  hard at school is waste of time..etc..a feeling that there SHOULD be jobs for the unskilled, almost. Well of course there are.  but they are going and going fast. Millworkers have been replaced by call centre operatives

Of course this nonsense, but how do we deal with those who think they have  thrown their chances away through not working hard enough at school?

#42 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

was working on a contract in east yorks bout 4 years ago- always remember a young lad on the job who was better than average, he just had a baby with his gf and all he wanted to do was graft, the guy paying the wages got a polish bloke to do the same job for 40pound cash a day, the young lad was trying to pay rent for a flat and do his best for his young and unplanned family, the polish guy was living in a caravan on a nearby industrial estate with 3 other poles, not commenting about any wrongs and rights here but I did feel quite sorry for the young English lad, he just couldn't compete, think he ended up splitting with his gf due to been skint all the time, don't blame foreign workers for trying to make a better life for themselves but it does get exploited by the wage payer.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#43 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,538 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

was working on a contract in east yorks bout 4 years ago- always remember a young lad on the job who was better than average, he just had a baby with his gf and all he wanted to do was graft, the guy paying the wages got a polish bloke to do the same job for 40pound cash a day, the young lad was trying to pay rent for a flat and do his best for his young and unplanned family, the polish guy was living in a caravan on a nearby industrial estate with 3 other poles, not commenting about any wrongs and rights here but I did feel quite sorry for the young English lad, he just couldn't compete, think he ended up splitting with his gf due to been skint all the time, don't blame foreign workers for trying to make a better life for themselves but it does get exploited by the wage payer.

And yet there were plenty a generation older to lecture him on how if he would give up foreign holidays and the nice car, he would soon be saving up a for a house.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#44 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

And yet there were plenty a generation older to lecture him on how if he would give up foreign holidays and the nice car, he would soon be saving up a for a house.

he didn't have a car and don't think he had ever been abroad mate, he was from council estate in hull I think its quite well known but cant think of its name, he was a genuine lad who had something about him and just wanted work, not seen him for ages hope he got the right break he desperately wanted.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#45 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

he didn't have a car and don't think he had ever been abroad mate, he was from council estate in hull I think its quite well known but cant think of its name, he was a genuine lad who had something about him and just wanted work, not seen him for ages hope he got the right break he desperately wanted.

Spectacular missing of the point.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#46 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,538 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

Spectacular missing of the point.

Whilst I would sympathise with that being an automatic response, I think it does relate to the original post.  The youth of today are often portrayed as spoilt and bone idle, in contrast to the elder generation who were never bums benefiting from the tolerance of the older generation. 

I still had a grant to go to University and left with only a four thousand in debt.  I also remember working my ###### off and getting nowhere for years, which young people will be doing now (while having to tolerate the old and smug).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#47 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

There was, and maybe still is, a magazine called 'opportunities' (think that was it's title) and it was basically a graduates job mag. I used to have a copy of the very first from about 1970. They were actually recruiting people who had been been to uni but dropped out!! ie the fact you went was enough for some jobs (big companies like Boots rtc too) regardless of whether you finished. This was how highly prized going to Uni was, whereas it neans almost nothing today except for certain ones.

#48 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,052 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

I would contest the thought that going to university means almost nothing today. Our graduates seem to be in demand and the annual survey of our alumni supports this. Just recently I gave references for two graduates who are walking in to jobs on more than I am. I'm not bitter, they've worked hard for it and deserve their success. Going to university is much more than just an extension of school learning and gaining a degree is much more than just learning a subject.
Fides invicta triumphat

#49 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

I would contest the thought that going to university means almost nothing today. Our graduates seem to be in demand and the annual survey of our alumni supports this. Just recently I gave references for two graduates who are walking in to jobs on more than I am. I'm not bitter, they've worked hard for it and deserve their success. Going to university is much more than just an extension of school learning and gaining a degree is much more than just learning a subject.

I think it depends on the subjects (and Uni?).  I would imagine that maths and the sciences are still in demand.  Media and tourism less so?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#50 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

There was, and maybe still is, a magazine called 'opportunities' (think that was it's title) and it was basically a graduates job mag. I used to have a copy of the very first from about 1970. They were actually recruiting people who had been been to uni but dropped out!! ie the fact you went was enough for some jobs (big companies like Boots rtc too) regardless of whether you finished. This was how highly prized going to Uni was, whereas it neans almost nothing today except for certain ones.

I graduated in 1997.

I got one of those prized jobs, from that A5 book (not sure of the exact name but there was only one of note). There were 200+ applicants and we were all desperate.

I had to jump through hoops, two interviews and a two day assessment centre attended by the whole board where we presented in front of each other, did all sorts of group tasks etc. I left after twelve months as they'd spent £25k on the advertisement, the interviews, the assessment centre, and had ###### all money left to actually pay me enough money to live on. They completely failed to deliver on their promise to me to work in different departments and locations, so I took another graduate job back home for double the money the company I joined had decided that they'd recruit on the cheap, and that they'd seek out those that the bigger companies had spent thousands recruiting and then ignoring.

In truth I was much more employable after a year in my first role, and my second company got decent value for money from me.

I doubt that book exists in the same form, the Internet is king.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 15 August 2013 - 08:28 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#51 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

I don't necessarily mean it is nothing. Just that the 'wow' factor is very diminished compared with years ago.

#52 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,052 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

I don't necessarily mean it is nothing. Just that the 'wow' factor is very diminished compared with years ago.

I agree with that.
Fides invicta triumphat

#53 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

In the mid 1990s, a guy with a degree in civil engineering who could not get a job in that field joined US Corporation I world for. He joined as a temp on the switchboard. Hr is now the European VP of Marketing for a large division of Siemens. A few years earlier, young Matt, legally qualified, joined the same company, in the post room. He is now a "director" at KPMG in Aus.

Sometimes, you have to take a job, any job...