Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

Is big coward ok? Didn't look good at the end
I'd expect Robinson and forber to be in on Sunday

#42 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

good god you would think we had lost. we were down to one real forward on the bench and 3 centres then another 2 injured in the game. give the guys a break. carter,briscoe and brett phillips were excellant but pick of the bunch was thacks who put in one hell of a shift. also thought big red was strong in the pack and rooneys defence was as good as ever. well played lads. i would put all our efforts into the york game and sign off at home in style.

Edited by wonky, 14 August 2013 - 09:16 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#43 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Made hard work of that tonight, wish we had denied them a BP as I now hate the club with a passion and hope they are relegated.
Thought Thacks was outstanding tonight with the stint he put in. Briscoe should be signed up for next year ASAP as he is a class above.
Hope all our injuries are not serious as we will be light up front for the barrow game.
We got the 3 points though and that's all that matters!!!!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#44 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Is big coward ok? Didn't look good at the end
I'd expect Robinson and forber to be in on Sunday

Shackley too, surprised he wasn't playing tonight with Dowes out.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#45 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

good god you would think we had lost. we were down to one real forward on the bench and 3 centres then another 2 injured in the game. give the guys a break. carter,briscoe and brett phillips were excellant but pick of the bunch was thacks who put in one hell of a shift. also thought big red was strong in the pack and rooneys defence was as good as ever. well played lads. i would put all our efforts into the york game and sign off at home in style.

Indeed, considering our run of fixtures, just to win is the main thing!  If could get at least a bonus point sunday then a win v york, that should see us in a playoff place.

#46 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

But we didn't really play well wonky . For all that possession and territory we were a drop goal away from hanging on ... And they only had 15 . We seem destined to repeat the same errors over n over again , and our attack is not improving . We won yes , we try hard yes , but our execution is poor and everything is a massive struggle when it needn't be . We never seem to be able to put all our parts together to a slick , coherent whole . Big hearts and effort , but you wonder how we train with the ball in hand and how we're coached to attack , and why with all our experience we can't close out a game ?

Edited by DavidM, 14 August 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#47 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

To me I'm delighted we won wasn't a vintage performance but we can take the positives, move on train Saturday, hopefully get shacks, dowes, forber and Robinson with a few dr lads in and try and beat the barrow in the derby then give York a good stuffing!!
Delighted we had briscoe on the field tonight what a leader from the back and also carter on the field tonight the complimented each other

#48 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

So many of the sets are exactly the same wonder . Everybody takes it in turns to have a drive - in one set Callum drove it in twice ! We pass the ball less than any team , never offload , and the final third attack is like pulling teeth . Everybody else seems to have more ideas and spark . Teams who are there for the taking are never nailed down due to endless errors and blunt attack ... And to cap it off Feather dived over from dummy half again for the 500 th consecutive time against us since he made his debut in 1826

Jesus how negative can one be?

You are all forgetting this side put 50 points on haven 2 days ago ....

Passing - offloads - weather? Ha

#49 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

On the plus side we got the 3 points that we wanted but there was plenty on the minus side that others have already highlighted. Even before we started getting injured players Keighley looked faster than us and their passing and quick thinking made us look pedestrian at times. As wonderofwood says we are winning games through our defence and that takes it out of the lads and from 25 - 6 up we just folded twice and let them in for tries.

I would say again where is our Plan B or Plan C or any sort of plan other than using our lads as battering rams. There was many times when Keighley were rushing up in our faces that a little kick over their heads could have been fruitful but we never tried it once yet they tried it several times. Many times we have a good lineout and they stand watching one player after another taking the ball in on his own, then on last tackle there's a mad rush to pass the ball and quite often a rushed kick.

We should have won that game tonight more comfortably than we did even with the injuries we picked up because they also had injuries but we just do not have that attacking mentality and prefer to do it the hard way bashing our way through.

Connor did come on for Matty but only got about 2 minutes as acting half-back then Olstrum came back on for Callum and Connor was moved to scrumhalf, so we didn't get to see what he could do in that role!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#50 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

the lads have all been to work all day today, then to put long stints in is something to be admired. you say they only had 15, how many did we have with acton and olstrum both injured? were safe and thats all that matters.
  • dkw likes this
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#51 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

A Wins a win. Well done town.

#52 bobg

bobg
  • Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

Good win for Town under the conditions, injuries took their toll in the end, 3 good points against a team that was desperate for any points, Briscoe, Thackray, Lupton and Calderwood showed experience counts. Liked the way that Briscoe and Carter played at the back together, IMO a few positives to take.

#53 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

I thought it was a good win what we needed gone up to 6th were safe now let's kick on. Thought Thackray Brett Phillips Briscoe and Carter had a very good game hopefully Olstrom will be okay he's arm was in a sling after the game and hope coward are Acton are fkne

#54 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

How did Declan Hulme and Flynn get on?

#55 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 852 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

Christ, there's some on here who talk a fantastic game but have they ever pulled on a top at any significant level and played the amount of games these lads  are having to play!! remember the lads have just beat the team who put 50 odd points on the greatest rugby team to ever take the field ;) It would be great if we had flowing rugby with the ball going from one side to the other, try's scored on every set, a great kicking game and won every game by 50 odd points ! I think some on here need to get their coaching badges out and get down to DP and help the boys out as obviously we have some serious talent out there going to waste. 

Well done Town a win will do me thank you very much.

#56 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

Paddy Flynn didn't play as his still injured apparently!
Declan played well he made some yards in attack and tackled well too, gets better every game and returns the ball well!! A wet game in those conditions u can't really break away down the flanks!!

#57 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Well done Town, a great effort and the required result - but at some cost I fear! I hope Widnes have a spare Hooker and a couple of Props for Sunday.

#58 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

Delighted we had briscoe on the field tonight what a leader from the back and also carter on the field tonight the complimented each other

Few weeks ago i suggested Carter on the wing and Briscoe at fullback and some of my fellow Town fans rubbished that idea saying he would be better playing at stand-off... Well, tonight he played on the wing and he didn't make too bad a hash of it!!!

I'd love to see Town signing Paddy for next season, but if he doesn't and Briscoe is here next season \I'd say  Miller and Carter are our best options for wingers,

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#59 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 852 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

Big raps for P. Lupton's tackling, put some big hits in and must have topped the tackle count tonight. Well done .

#60 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

Paddy Flynn didn't play as his still injured apparently!
Declan played well he made some yards in attack and tackled well too, gets better every game and returns the ball well!! A wet game in those conditions u can't really break away down the flanks!!

I always liked Declan in the Academy at Widnes and was good in the centres.I do hope gets the chance at Widnes next year because Chris Dean and Marsh are the only decent centres at the moment.When these are injured we seem to play Wintersteine and Isa.Keep Hulme in the centre as his best postion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users