Town v Keighley match thread

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

Well done Town, a great effort and the required result - but at some cost I fear! I hope Widnes have a spare Hooker and a couple of Props for Sunday.

Well the hookers at Widnes are Clarke,White and Gore.White is injured for the season and Gore will be in the 17 to interchange with Clarke. I do not know how Craven or Gilmore will do at hooker but they are decent young halfbacks.Well Widnes have quite a few injuries in the forwards but Pickgersgill could be available.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 14 August 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#62 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

The turning point of the game was the injury to Hayley. You scored through the gap he would have been defending. To then lose Lawton was a step to far.

If they had not have had to go of i think we would have won it to be honest. As there was noting between the teams before that.

It was always going to be a about damage limitation from then on. When Buster went over to get a bonus point i went mad, but then for the ref to nearly cancel it was horrible.

How the hell Briscoe got man of the match before Thackray is beyond me.

Never been to Worky before. Its a cracking ground and your fans were great.

One thing you wont be short of is amateur refs. The main stand was bloody full of them ;)

#63 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

up the town were safe as can be now

Thats how you do it jambos hahahahahahaha

#64 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

Just logged on this morning and can't believe how negative this thread is especially DavidM.
This game is 3 ds after a long day at Leeds on Sunday and I'll wager most players will have been back at work then to play a night match after work in what is the toughest sport in the world at the tail end of a sesson in a higher division the performance was good enough to get 3 points also bear in mind we had a recent spell of 3 games in 7 days.
personally I thought we played patient steady rugby and wore them down, you cant play lateral rugby without
going forward and the lads earned their winning pay, if it hadn't been for 2 late tries, 1 very debatable then it would have been a cakewalk. A few posters on her have obviously never been in a collidion , after 20 years playing

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#65 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

Amateur my body is wrecked so I wouldn't like to know how it feels at this level, the players are flesh and blood just like us so get a grip

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#66 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

Don't know why my lost split, apologies

#67 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 995 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

Just logged on this morning and can't believe how negative this thread is especially DavidM.
This game is 3 ds after a long day at Leeds on Sunday and I'll wager most players will have been back at work then to play a night match after work in what is the toughest sport in the world at the tail end of a sesson in a higher division the performance was good enough to get 3 points also bear in mind we had a recent spell of 3 games in 7 days.
personally I thought we played patient steady rugby and wore them down, you cant play lateral rugby without
going forward and the lads earned their winning pay, if it hadn't been for 2 late tries, 1 very debatable then it would have been a cakewalk. A few posters on her have obviously never been in a collidion , after 20 years playing

By next Thursday I make it Town will have played 7 games in approx. 28 days, bloody good going I would say and they also have fulltime jobs to do, think superman would struggle with that.

Well done again lads.

#68 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

well said gonch. i think some on here watch super league and the nrl and expect that level off semi pro players. you play to your strengths and town have done that to have a bloody good season. yes we all have a moan about games like donny at home or keighley away but after a pretty comfortable win against a team coming off a big win is uncalled for. the lads need our support and critism about every game is not helping anyone
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#69 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

The turning point of the game was the injury to Hayley. You scored through the gap he would have been defending. To then lose Lawton was a step to far.

If they had not have had to go of i think we would have won it to be honest. As there was noting between the teams before that.

It was always going to be a about damage limitation from then on. When Buster went over to get a bonus point i went mad, but then for the ref to nearly cancel it was horrible.

How the hell Briscoe got man of the match before Thackray is beyond me.

Never been to Worky before. Its a cracking ground and your fans were great.

One thing you wont be short of is amateur refs. The main stand was bloody full of them ;)

Sorry I have to disagree. It took us a while to get going last night and once in front I dont think winning was in doubt.also we eased off towards the end and its understandable Given our fixture pile up. Cougars deserved a BP and best of luck with your fight to stay up.

#70 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

I'll stick by my opinions which after re-reading I think are all valid . It's nothing to do with supporting the team or not , which is pretty offensive after many decades . And we've had this argument about playing the game or not . Sore bodies I can take and work etcetc , but my general point is we see the same deficiencies repeated do we not , regardless of result ? And just because you highlight them it doesn't mean you expect the opposite extreme of perfection.Im not here to be a cheerleader , I support the team but my frustration comes from perennially feeling that there's more there than we ever really see for some reason . Many times without last night's excuses we see the same things ?

Edited by DavidM, 15 August 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#71 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

The negativity on here is incredible !!! After what they done to haven I was fearing the worst last night, but it turned out to be a comfortable win, their 2 late tries made the score line look respectable. Congratulations to everyone associated with the club at getting us into the position of being safe with 3 games to go.

Wasn't it great last night to watch the game under floodlights, even with a small crowd and bad weather there just seemed to be a better atmosphere, I loved it.

let's all get down to Barrow and cheer our Knackered team on, they will need our support.

UP THE TOWN

#72 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

The negativity on here is incredible !!! After what they done to haven I was fearing the worst last night, but it turned out to be a comfortable win, their 2 late tries made the score line look respectable. Congratulations to everyone associated with the club at getting us into the position of being safe with 3 games to go.
Wasn't it great last night to watch the game under floodlights, even with a small crowd and bad weather there just seemed to be a better atmosphere, I loved it.
let's all get down to Barrow and cheer our Knackered team on, they will need our support.

UP THE TOWN

I agree unicorn.IMO We dominated the middle part of the game but maybe the start and the end of the game was due to a bit of fatigue and who can blame them. The RFL needs to sort this out. No club should be playing this amount of fixtures is a short space of time.

#73 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

I'll stick by my opinions which after re-reading I think are all valid . It's nothing to do with supporting the team or not , which is pretty offensive after many decades . And we've had this argument about playing the game or not . Sore bodies I can take and work etcetc , but my general point is we see the same deficiencies repeated do we not , regardless of result ? And just because you highlight them it doesn't mean you expect the opposite extreme of perfection.Im not here to be a cheerleader , I support the team but my frustration comes from perennially feeling that there's more there than we ever really see for some reason . Many times without last night's excuses we see the same things ?

So what's your solution then David?
3 points were the goal last night, and despite a hard game at Hunslet on Sunday our lads turned up and ground out a fantastic win against a team with their tails up after beating Haven and fighting relegation. Would you rather we played attractive rugby and got relegated? Given the injuries I thought we played excellent in patches against a decent team.
Thacks had a long stint with Actons injury, had a great game and was my mom but for whatever reason you say he is caviar or CABBAGE - really ??
Briscoe was awesome, Carter on the wing was fantastic, etc etc. Did anyone have a bad game?
This season should be looked at as a great achievement, we are currently 6th with 3 games to play. Everyone would have taken that in February. Our players have stood up to the Championship superbly and despite this ridiculous run of games are still winning games and playing well.
It's time we started giving credit out instead of criticism in my opinion.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#74 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

totally agree about thacks, other than the couple of weeks before he got dropped he has been great. and last night was his best performance last year. he played the best part of an hour and really put his hand up.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#75 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

I've no solution , but if the wrinkles were smoothed out a bit things would become a little easier because I'm convinced we have the raw materials there to give it to most , but to often we're battling ourselves . We have the component parts and huge endeavour . Thacks is a mixture , we've all said that , but I said last night he was bang on , and all that overcame any downside . Carter / Briscoe was the biggest positive .

#76 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

The concensus of the people I spoke to after the game and this morning was that it was a hard game but we made it harder than maybe it should have been, in fact that is said in one or two posts in this thread by some.

Because someone expresses a view contrary to your own doesn't mean that they are any less of a Town fan than yourself. Some prefer to make excuses for the team others look at areas where they could have done better. Playing devils advocate here yes we had a long journey to Hunslet at the weekend but our opponents had that same journey in the opposite direction twice!!! Yes, they brought in 5 or 6 new faces but we had 4 different players from Sunday!! Yes, it was a wet evening and not conducive to a passing game but can anyone deny that Keighley passed it around more and faster than us?

My own opinion is that we need to do better as an attacking force because other teams can work us out so easily and it becomes harder and harder each game to score as our points "for" in the league table shows. At the end of the day, as I said in my previous post, we achieved our objective of picking up the 3 points and it would have been nice to have stopped Keighley from getting their bonus point but so much defence and tired bodies through our one man style of play told in the end.

Let's move on.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#77 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

The concensus of the people I spoke to after the game and this morning was that it was a hard game but we made it harder than maybe it should have been, in fact that is said in one or two posts in this thread by some.

Because someone expresses a view contrary to your own doesn't mean that they are any less of a Town fan than yourself. Some prefer to make excuses for the team others look at areas where they could have done better. Playing devils advocate here yes we had a long journey to Hunslet at the weekend but our opponents had that same journey in the opposite direction twice!!! Yes, they brought in 5 or 6 new faces but we had 4 different players from Sunday!! Yes, it was a wet evening and not conducive to a passing game but can anyone deny that Keighley passed it around more and faster than us?

My own opinion is that we need to do better as an attacking force because other teams can work us out so easily and it becomes harder and harder each game to score as our points "for" in the league table shows. At the end of the day, as I said in my previous post, we achieved our objective of picking up the 3 points and it would have been nice to have stopped Keighley from getting their bonus point but so much defence and tired bodies through our one man style of play told in the end.

Let's move on.

You haven,t done too bad this season keith we know theres a top 5 but none of us would have thought haven or town would be challenging for best of the rest both teams have done excellent and a little bit of fine tuning for both teams and we,ll both narrow the gap to 5th next season or matbe even get there

#78 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Who on this thread claimed anyone was less of a fan than anyone else because they didn't share the same opinion Keith?

I agree with you that our attack can be sharpened, but if we haven't got the scrum half or whoever to do what is necessary for these chips over the top or bullet passes then shouldn't we be sticking to the strengths of the players we have? Off loads etc can be a good weapon but then if the player doesn't get it right then he will get slated. ( Dowes & Thacks have both had that on here) 

Looking forward to the lovely trip to Barrow, I just hope we can field a team!!

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#79 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Up the town

#80 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

We've done really well this season, on the whole we've been consistent and not been far off beating some of the top teams, and the quality of the games is so much better than we've been used to. Last night was about getting the points and well done for that, but i think some people's comments aren't about that one game which wasn't pretty but effective.

I for one am looking with a view to next season, this year we've played "safe" rugby and it's got us where we are but as well as getting results i want to watch good rugby. Ok we don't have any of the stars we loved to watch like Jimmy, Mully, Hepi etc. but at some point we need to do more to a) entertain the speccies B ) attract new ones and c) have a chance of becoming a top 5 team. I don't know if the current coaches are able to provide that kind of rugby or if they just haven't got the tools for the job i.e. a settled halfback combo and some running centres.

Congratulations to all involved in securing another season in this division where Workington Town belongs.

Edited by homeandawayer, 15 August 2013 - 12:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users