Dave Lee Travis facing 12 charges...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,582 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

...11 x Indecent Assault, 1 x Sexual Assault.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

To me, the guy has never come across as natural. He always seemed to be projecting an invented persona.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

To me, the guy has never come across as natural. He always seemed to be projecting an invented persona.

doesn't everyone on tv and radio do that though? who is natural on tv radio or in the public eye? 

would the bbc compensation gravy train be coming in to town again by any chance?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,582 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

He was a Radio 1 DJ in the bad old days when there wasn't much available in the way of alternatives. Most of them adopted that cheesy cod-American delivery (although John Peel opted for a sort-of-Scouse) and several of them (including Travis) changed their names. And as for 'The Hairy Cornflake' nickname he gave himself? Oh, be still my splitting sides! 

He should have been locked up for Convoy GB back in the Seventies.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

http://www.dailymail...s-30-years.html

Serious question:

He's been charged under two offences, neither of which is rape, and the majority of the alleged offences involve adult women. In such a circumstance, what's the legal difference between a sexual assault and an indecent assault?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,074 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

http://www.dailymail...s-30-years.html

Serious question:

He's been charged under two offences, neither of which is rape, and the majority of the alleged offences involve adult women. In such a circumstance, what's the legal difference between a sexual assault and an indecent assault?

IIRC, the latter could be that you touch someone in a sensitive area, usually over clothes, the former is when you take it a step further, often when you go under clothes onto the naked skin or get them naked or do "foreplay" actions but don't take it the step further to rape.  It's a rare case in this post-Saville enquiry that there's still alleged offences from 2007, most of this group of offenders seem to have stopped in the 80s or latest the 90s.

The difference for this case is that there's a harder burden for the prosecution to prove that there was a lack of consent from the adult women, I'd be surprised if the defence didn't bring in the "groupie" argument of willing women.  In most cases, it'll be his word against theirs and that usually means "not guilty' as it's damnably hard to prove lack of consent beyond reasonable doubt if you have to take someone's word over another's without physical evidence.  It's hard enough getting a guilty verdict when the victim comes forward immediately, preserving any physical evidence to assist the prosecution case but these are old enough that there's likely to be no physical evidence left.  In the case of the 15 year old girl, there cannot be consent meaning the prosecution must just prove it happened to get a guilty verdict but he can have a sentence mitigation if he thought she was over 16 and consented.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

He was a Radio 1 DJ in the bad old days when there wasn't much available in the way of alternatives. Most of them adopted that cheesy cod-American delivery (although John Peel opted for a sort-of-Scouse) and several of them (including Travis) changed their names. And as for 'The Hairy Cornflake' nickname he gave himself? Oh, be still my splitting sides! 

So right watching highlight's of that song before you can tell DLT and the whole Saville and co all having a laugh about it...until Punk cam wandering around the corner.

#8 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Reminds me of Morecambe and Wise's old Des O'Connor criminal record routine.

The only thing I really remember about Dave Lee Travis' programme was the cleaned up MC5 'kick out the jams motherf***ers' soundbite.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

I bought Convoy GB. Not new obviously but one of those 'Pop Ex' jobs a bit later. I thought it was hilarious.
In my defence I was 10. :unsure:

#10 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Wasn't DLT the voice on the arcade game "Big Break?"

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

IIRC, the latter could be that you touch someone in a sensitive area, usually over clothes, the former is when you take it a step further, often when you go under clothes onto the naked skin or get them naked or do "foreplay" actions but don't take it the step further to rape.  It's a rare case in this post-Saville enquiry that there's still alleged offences from 2007, most of this group of offenders seem to have stopped in the 80s or latest the 90s.

The difference for this case is that there's a harder burden for the prosecution to prove that there was a lack of consent from the adult women, I'd be surprised if the defence didn't bring in the "groupie" argument of willing women.  In most cases, it'll be his word against theirs and that usually means "not guilty' as it's damnably hard to prove lack of consent beyond reasonable doubt if you have to take someone's word over another's without physical evidence.  It's hard enough getting a guilty verdict when the victim comes forward immediately, preserving any physical evidence to assist the prosecution case but these are old enough that there's likely to be no physical evidence left.  In the case of the 15 year old girl, there cannot be consent meaning the prosecution must just prove it happened to get a guilty verdict but he can have a sentence mitigation if he thought she was over 16 and consented.

The way they got Stuart Hall, if I remember what was said on the news correctly, was that the police had a very similar modus operandi from different witnesses who they could be confident had no knowledge of each other.

That gave the prosecution a strong case that he was an habitual offender who in court could be shown to be a predatory sex offender.

If Travis has left similar tell tale signs then that is why they will go for him. If all the victims are clearly not connected and all the victims have a similar tale to tell then that is where a case could come from. Having a case is different to proving guilt or innocence and that will of course be decided by a court.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users