Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will we never learn?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

This is the first time I've seen Hornets play this season...a great fightback to lose by only 5pts, but the mistakes!  Going in at ht with a 1point lead then to ship 18 points without answer, until the fightback.....all season we have gone to sleep at crucial times and nothing changes. And in games like this, every minute is crucial. Certainly Oldham upped their tempo at the start of the second half, but it was our errors that gave them the motivation. Had we played for 40 minutes of second half, I believe we would have won and Brian Noble thought we deserved our lead at ht. Crooks 40- 20's were exceptional.  80 minutes....80 minutes......

#2 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

Very harsh that we got nothing out of that game perhaps a share of the spoils would have been fair. However, the harsh reality is that we have come up short once too many times against the "so called" better teams in the division.

Promotion this season was there for the taking....it still is but we will need to win a couple of games against the divisions better teams.

#3 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

This is the first time I've seen Hornets play this season...a great fightback to lose by only 5pts, but the mistakes!  Going in at ht with a 1point lead then to ship 18 points without answer, until the fightback.....all season we have gone to sleep at crucial times and nothing changes. And in games like this, every minute is crucial. Certainly Oldham upped their tempo at the start of the second half, but it was our errors that gave them the motivation. Had we played for 40 minutes of second half, I believe we would have won and Brian Noble thought we deserved our lead at ht. Crooks 40- 20's were exceptional.  80 minutes....80 minutes......

I thought our first half was good apart from individual players decision making when it mattered. We bombed 2 clear tries giving the Roughyeds time to adjust and get into the game. I thought Forster was expceptional and we looked lost when he had his breathers. The second half well i have to agree, yet again as its been all season we took our foot off the gas while Owdumb upped it by a gear or two. Ripping into us defensively and taking it to us with the ball. We gave ourselves to much to do chasing 18 unanswered points. Our attack in the second half looked pedestrian, unlike Oldhams slick speedy runs. I agree we didnt get the rub from the man with the whistle and anyone who knows me, knows i hate to bag the ref. But the scuffles began each time by an Oldham player leading the way with some form of striking out. Crowley on Crook for the try. I mean in 4 years of watching Crooky ive never seen him as much as raise his hand. And the permatanned handbag swinging Bloomers leaving his shoulder in on Langley. The ref needed some help from his touchies.

But the fact remains, all season we have come up short when it matters. The scoreboard doesnt lie and neither does the league. Oldham deserve the victory for the second half display alone, slick and tough. Whilst we switched off and looked slow and clueless with the ball.

Finsihing on some positive notes

1. Carl Forster

2. The Hornets crowd getting behind the lads

3. Keeping Oldham out twice in our own 25 (not been done all season to my knowledge)

4. £2.50 a pint of Gunniess in the bar! (joke)

Edited by fillipo del toro, 16 August 2013 - 06:02 AM.

Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#4 Snoopy Loopy

Snoopy Loopy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

Always disappointing to lose to Oldham - especially last night as I thought the lads were capable of beating an average Oldham side

I dont think its the effort thats at fault particularly from certain players such as English, Langley, Davies, Forster, Hough and Crook - it has to be the way the team is coached we look to have one move on attack which is the shift from right to left with English joining the line to create an overlap - this may work if used sparingly (once or twice or even three times) but we seem to almost use it everytime we are in a meaningful attacking position and the opposition who have no doubt watched videos just read it and defend it. Danny Yates clearly a dangerous, attacking scrum half (what most teams would kill for) done for crossing twice - its training ground stuff

Both teams wernt very good on defence for the majority of the game and I still thought Hornets could win right to the hooter however Oldham came up trumps when it mattered in this area.

I dont think the Dual Reg agreement or coaching set up has been of any benefit at all whether we get to train in first class facilities in St Helens or not - as a team we have taken steps back from when JS was coach - now can we give Matt Calland a shot at the job as he should have been given at the beginning of the season before Saints told us who to have as coach?  

#5 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Not sure that its fair criticism to blame the coach for Hornets downfall, certain plays are put in place on the training pitch but dont always come off on match days. Yes we do seem to struggle with this set play down to the left hand side but you dont mention the times that set plays bear fruit on the right hand side via Crooky and Danny Davies.

How many times do you hear, at all levels of the game, that the coach sents the players out with a set game plan and the players completely ignore it, very frustrating for the coach.

Its been obvious that Snoopy Loopy and others have wanted Matt Calland as our coach this current season. One thing  is certain I hope you remember that Matt will also be quoted likewise in the future saying...............'THEY DIDNT STICK TO THE GAMEPLAN'.

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#6 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Brilliant game, had everything! Massive thanks to all Hornets fans for the welcome and banter in the bar after, full credit to you all, all the best!

#7 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

I went to see both games and to be honest thought I had been very well entertained from 4:30 until 9:00.  If anyone had turned up as a neutral thinking hey might start watching rugby league they old now be committed fans, 12 quid well spent!

The curtain-raiser was a good game with two sides really trying to put points on the board, but unfortunately Scotland failed to take advantage of the numerous huge overlaps they had particularly in the first half.  England went behind but then proceeded to rip into the Scots and ended up good winners on the day.

The other encounter too was a good advert for the game with big hits, slick handling, length of the field moves and a decent fight!  People pay hundreds of pounds for this sort of entertainment and only get the fight!

Yes, Hornets did again show their lack of concentration for a short period and paid dearly for it but I'm sure it's not intentional and must be corrected, but how?  I'm sure that the caches have addressed this all season but it seems to keep surfacing.  All isn't lost though, we will be in he play-offs and lets hope we can make a good fist of that and get to the Grand Final.

As usual Houghy starred for us along with Forster and if Crooky had an off game with the boot last week he certainly made up for it last night.  Two conversions from the touchline some great tactical kicks ad one monster of a 40/20 that was I flight s long they showed a movie on it

It's not over 'til it's over!!!!

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#8 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Always disappointing to lose to Oldham - especially last night as I thought the lads were capable of beating an average Oldham side" an average Oldham team thats beaten u 3 times and are currently top of the table, if we are average what are u?

I dont think its the effort thats at fault particularly from certain players such as English, Langley, Davies, Forster, Hough and Crook - it has to be the way the team is coached we look to have one move on attack which is the shift from right to left with English joining the line to create an overlap - this may work if used sparingly (once or twice or even three times) but we seem to almost use it everytime we are in a meaningful attacking position and the opposition who have no doubt watched videos just read it and defend it. Danny Yates clearly a dangerous, attacking scrum half (what most teams would kill for) done for crossing twice - its training ground stuff

Both teams wernt very good on defence for the majority of the game and I still thought Hornets could win right to the hooter however Oldham came up trumps when it mattered in this area.

I dont think the Dual Reg agreement or coaching set up has been of any benefit at all whether we get to train in first class facilities in St Helens or not - as a team we have taken steps back from when JS was coach - now can we give Matt Calland a shot at the job as he should have been given at the beginning of the season before Saints told us who to have as coach?

Edited by OutOfTownRoughyed, 16 August 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#9 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

If we are average what are u lot then snoopy we beat u 3 times?

#10 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

You won in the trains, didn't we beat you home and away last season?and knocked you out of the play offs.

First game we won at your place.

#11 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 588 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

You won in the trains, didn't we beat you home and away last season?and knocked you out of the play offs.
First game we won at your place.

think he was including the law cup.

#12 Snoopy Loopy

Snoopy Loopy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

If we are average what are u lot then snoopy we beat u 3 times?

Obviously below average but I didnt dispute that

If you think that is a good Oldham side what we saw last night you must be puddled - your lads had that much brain that they didnt even attempt to kick a drop goal in the last 10 mins when it was a 5 point difference to guarentee you at least a draw should we score

#13 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Great game but yet again it left me so frustrated with a performnce that has typified the season so far.

I found myself asking do we train together at points last night, some of our 5th tackle play selection was shocking, and how many times did we get done for crossing? 3 or 4 at least.

But our go-forward wasnt the issue last night, yet again we switched off for the now regulation 20 mins or so either side of half time. Oldham went up a gear at the start of the second half while we switched off, we have seen this all season in almost every game, surely the coach has. Yet again in the 'biggest games' we lost our way during a key period and left ourselves with far too much to do. Over all I thought the Biffos looked much quicker around dummy half, and always looked dangerous,  and there big lads really did rip into us, while at times we where a bit slow and picked the wrong option on so many occasions, but it wasnt how we performed with the ball that lost us the game last night as we also did some fantastic stuff at times going forward. I believe we could and should have been out of sight at half time, two clear line breaks with only the fullback to beat and we either selected the wrong pass or ran the wrong lines are just two of the chances bombed.

Fair play to the lads who did make a fair game of it in the end but left themselves with far too much to do in the end, the whilstler didnt give us too much either, but was just as bad for both teams I guess.

Dissapointing to see some of the cheap shots going in particular from perma-tanned Dale 'look at me' Bloomfield, and some of Oldhams' lying on was 'questionable' to say the least yet it was Hornets who got penalised for it during a couple of key parts of the game.

All in all I am not too down hearted, as mentioned above just frustrated, as it doenst change the end of season picture too much, all being well we are still going to have to turn the Biffos over to reach the play-offs or even win the final.

This is not sour grapes in the slightest as Oldham deserved the win last night without doubt but they are not a patch on NWC IMO, who will surley win the games in hand and rightfully claim top spot, but the Biffos are in the box seat so we will see how that pans out. I fear us having to play NWC again unfortunatley.

The Biffs are beatable, we've done it already but we will need to do something we havent all season, and more than once during the play-offs... a full 80 mins.......here's hoping, I still believe we do have that big game performance still left in the team, its up to the coach to drag it out of the lads

Edited by ormskirknet, 16 August 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#14 jananbillingsbarmyarmy

jananbillingsbarmyarmy
  • Coach
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

How is Chris Hough still getting a game he's terrible how can you play hooked and not get tackled is beyond me he never run the ball all night long 

#15 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

NWC are Better than Oldham ?  They were beaten at the Whitebank and denied a bonus point, The following week they went to Gateshead and were losing till the last 4 minutes. If we hadn't missed 2 goal conversions at NWC, we would have won by 2pts. So I don't know where you get the idea that they are better than us.

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

NWC are Better than Oldham ? They were beaten at the Whitebank and denied a bonus point, The following week they went to Gateshead and were losing till the last 4 minutes. If we hadn't missed 2 goal conversions at NWC, we would have won by 2pts. So I don't know where you get the idea that they are better than us.

The league doesn't lie, so if all goes to plan they will finish champions hence making them better than Oldham. They've wiped the floor with us 3 times. Our games have been much tighter.
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#17 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

allroughyed, did Oldham specci's think that the game was Sunday. Open another stand? Chuckle

#18 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Well your crowd went up 700 from the last home game you had

#19 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

But our go-forward wasnt the issue last night, yet again we switched off for the now regulation 20 mins or so either side of half time. Oldham went up a gear at the start of the second half while we switched off, we have seen this all season in almost every game, surely the coach has.

Having led deservedly at ht, a view shared by tv 'pundit' Brian Noble, it was not too much to expect that we would recommence with a disciplined full-on approach for 80mins and expect Oldham to come at us given the situation. That they did was due in no small part to Naylor's ht 'talk' as he was seen on tv somewhat 'agitated' from the sidelines!   Our coach (IT) was too laid back on ht interview.  He had arrived late because of personal reasons, but while acknowledging our wrong decision-making thought, strangely, that our fitness levels would prove the difference.  A point questionned by Noble.   From my first view of Hornets for some time, I think that we are lacking drive from the sidelines, naturally commitment for 80 minutes and leaving too much to individuals.  Given this stage of the season, our missed opportunities and what is at stake, we should be firing on all cylinders by now.  Hopefully, we can still rescue the season in the play-offs, but playing away at the likes of Hemel or London will require a dramatic change in commitment from all involved. Here's hoping.

#20 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Well your crowd went up 700 from the last home game you had

Our last home game was against Gateshead with 405 spectators.

Your gate against Gateshead was 489................................................a whopping 84, yes EIGHTY-FOUR more.......huge....Huge....HUGE  difference :tongue:

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users