TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Knock on Advantage rule

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

I was just wondering if someone can clear up the new knock on advantage rule.
Tonight in the wire - widnes game. Wire knocked on & widnes picked the ball up & booted it downfield & the Warrington player booted it out of play & the ref awarded the scrum to where it was kicked out.
However earlier this season when we played Sheffield at home the same thing happened, pryce picked up in his own 10 & booted the ball downfield for the Sheffield full back to kick it out of play in his own half, this would of gained us 50 yards downfield however the ref brought play back to where the knock on was.
So what is the correct rule? Is advantage played & gained to the team picking up the knock on?

Maybe I should know the rule, but it can become confusing when referee's don't know the rules.

Edited by MikeFletchersBarmyArmy, 15 August 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#2 1895

• Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

Basically its called something like the 'greater advantage' rule!!!! FFS

Only know myself cos saw something similar on one of the sky games the other week.  Essentially it means that if the non infringing side get a greater advantage by letting play go on ie/ run down field, but lose the ball on the opp's try line rather than pick back up on their own, the old rule applies (that advantage has been played as it is better for them to run the game on than bring them 80 yards back down field).

It was something which was brought in after the start of the season as yet another amendment, as it was probably only realised after the event, by the incompetent RFL, that their stupid new rule could actually lead the non infringing team to a greater disadvantage by potentially dragging them back 80-90 yards after losing the ball!!!!  Hence another reactive change!! Makes the 'free play' / advantage rule an even greater farce IMO and just makes the game look even more micky mouse!

Need to just abolish the cr@.p and bring back normal advantage...the free play rubbish doesn't do anything for the game for me and is just too confusing!!

Edited by 1895, 15 August 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#3 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

Basically its called something like the 'greater advantage' rule!!!! FFS

Only know myself cos saw something similar on one of the sky games the other week.  Essentially it means that if the non infringing side get a greater advantage by letting play go on ie/ run down field, but lose the ball on the opp's try line rather than pick back up on their own, the old rule applies (that advantage has been played as it is better for them to run the game on than bring them 80 yards back down field).

It was something which was brought in after the start of the season as yet another amendment, as it was probably only realised after the event, by the incompetent RFL, that their stupid new rule could actually lead the non infringing team to a greater disadvantage by potentially dragging them back 80-90 yards after losing the ball!!!!  Hence another reactive change!! Makes the 'free play' / advantage rule an even greater farce IMO and just makes the game look even more micky mouse!

Need to just abolish the cr@.p and bring back normal advantage...the free play rubbish doesn't do anything for the game for me and is just too confusing!!

That clears it up a bit more, Agree though, it hasn't had the same effect as they thought, it just encourages the kick & chase, & delaying the game by bringing the game back.

They could also scrap the rule, where a full back can stand off the pitch & pick the ball up  which is on the pitch in play to make it out of play.

It's ridiculous, it penalises the perfect kick. They should be forced to run it out if the balls not dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users