RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

One Direction v The Who

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

A little unfair to say that Sit down and Panic are the same. They are in different key signstures Emaj and Cmaj respectively which as I'm sure you will know means that the two songs will have totally different chord sequences, however I am with you on the Town called Malice.

yes sorry- panic and sit down are not exactly the same its the drum beat for me, don't you think "in the future when alls well" sounds like oasis?
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#22 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

yes sorry- panic and sit down are not exactly the same its the drum beat for me, don't you think "in the future when alls well" sounds like oasis?

You're not gonna believe this bedders but I made a conscious effort never to listen to Oasis after 94. I could listen to Noel Gallagher speak/play all day, but his younger sibling made me never really bother with them again, so I can't answer your question mate. Although just as an aside Drinking in LA by Brann Van 3000 has a definite likeness to Kelly Rowland's Ironically entitled single - Stole. The End of the world has we know it by REM was ripped off by Billy Joel with We didn't start the fire, but I've got onto Joel and could talk plagiarism all night.

I guess ultimately there are only 8 full musical notes, therefore some of the billions of songs will have certain likenesses.

Speaking of plagiarism, sadly I was watching an archive episode of the Bill on Drama the other day. The episode was from 1998 and featured a quiz that had been organised by Pc Reg Hollis. The first line of the quiz was 'My balls are black and blue and I've been hitting them with a mallet, what sport am I playing?'

The exact line was utilised by Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights some 4 years later.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 23 August 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#23 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

The riff from Love Removal Machine by The Cult is a total copy of Start Me Up by the Stones

#24 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

The riff from Love Removal Machine by The Cult is a total copy of Start Me Up by the Stones

Before my time cock.

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:05 AM

Before my time cock.

It was only 1987. That's just recently in my book

#26 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Holiday in the Sun and In the City have similar bass lines ie the same.

#27 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

It was only 1987. That's just recently in my book

I liked the Cult, Ian Astbury good singer. I'm sure that Stones' song even though I have heard it, was before 87.

#28 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

You're not gonna believe this bedders but I made a conscious effort never to listen to Oasis after 94. I could listen to Noel Gallagher speak/play all day, but his younger sibling made me never really bother with them again, so I can't answer your question mate. Although just as an aside Drinking in LA by Brann Van 3000 has a definite likeness to Kelly Rowland's Ironically entitled single - Stole. The End of the world has we know it by REM was ripped off by Billy Joel with We didn't start the fire, but I've got onto Joel and could talk plagiarism all night.

I guess ultimately there are only 8 full musical notes, therefore some of the billions of songs will have certain likenesses.

Speaking of plagiarism, sadly I was watching an archive episode of the Bill on Drama the other day. The episode was from 1998 and featured a quiz that had been organised by Pc Reg Hollis. The first line of the quiz was 'My balls are black and blue and I've been hitting them with a mallet, what sport am I playing?'

The exact line was utilised by Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights some 4 years later.

They did that in Auf Wiedersehen Pet 3 where a Liverpool gangster  said along the line's 'that he thought he was working class till he went to Newcastle' and that was used by the Police in Derbyshire in Auf 2.

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

I liked the Cult, Ian Astbury good singer. I'm sure that Stones' song even though I have heard it, was before 87.

So if you have heard it, why the 'before my time' line? Rock around the clock was before my time but I know that.

#30 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

They did that in Auf Wiedersehen Pet 3 where a Liverpool gangster said along the line's 'that he thought he was working class till he went to Newcastle' and that was used by the Police in Derbyshire in Auf 2.

The joke was first used in Porridge but it was the same writers. Only then it was 'he thought he was working class until he went to Glasgow, then discovered he was middle class'

#31 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

thought the "do you smoke" joke in the doctors was original on only fools and horses until saw it performed in almost the same way on George and mildred which had been made some years earlier
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

All writers of books, music, comedy etc have borrowed or recycled things since the year dot. There's probably been no original jokes left since about 1750.

#33 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

So if you have heard it, why the 'before my time' line? Rock around the clock was before my time but I know that.

Just so I could get an @rsey reply from you.

#34 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

why would "rock around the clock" be before anybodys "time" its a recording of a song avaliable to listen to since its release all those years ago, its never been banned from any radio stations or withdrawn from the music buying public at any time to my knowledge, it prob more accessible now than ever before, has been heard by thousands on tv shows and in public places such as pubs and cafes- I don't buy in to this "before my time" business

#35 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

http://listverse.com...opular-samples/

some more rip offs or are they?

Edited by Mumby Magic, 25 August 2013 - 10:57 AM.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#36 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

why would "rock around the clock" be before anybodys "time" its a recording of a song avaliable to listen to since its release all those years ago, its never been banned from any radio stations or withdrawn from the music buying public at any time to my knowledge, it prob more accessible now than ever before, has been heard by thousands on tv shows and in public places such as pubs and cafes- I don't buy in to this "before my time" business

Er neither do I. That was my point.

#37 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'll clear my point up. My music tastes are always contemporary for me. I like songs rather than bands mainly. If its before 1977 it means nowt to me. I love 70s Football but could tell you nothing hardly about football prior to that. I didn't really like History at School. I'm of the mind if it's gone it's gone. When I was about 14 (80-81 ish) my mother tried to get me into the Beatles. I taped a few of their songs but they meant nothing to me, as the music, songs I like tend to be songss where I can remember the memories evoked when I heard the song and the era of my life it was in.
Another idiosyncrasy to my musical tastes is that I feel that music does date. Songs I was obsessed with in my youth, stuff by the Stranglers and the smiths I can't even listen to anymore, I guess I just get fed up and move onto the newere thing.
I particularly like trance and dance music now, i feel that it is fresh modern and uplifting, that's not to say that there is not a lot of keek about now ( see title of the thread) but there was always. For every Stranglers song there was a Racey song.

I got berated on here once for saying that I liked the Sex Pistols as an 11/12 year old but once I'd learn to read Music and appreciate the technicalites of Chords, Tempo, key signature etc I'd realised that I only liked them because I was at an impressionable age and tracks like Bodies had a lot of expletives in it. But as I matured I realised for me the the quality of their music was sub standard. That's just me.

When I said that the Stones were before my time, they were and so I never listened to their songs with any great interest. Yes I've heard several of their tracks and can Identify that they are tracks by The Stones, but their initial and greatest popularity was before my time I wasn't trying ti be facetious.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 25 August 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#38 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

Don't talk ridiculous, sub standard? NMTB is one of rocks all time great albums.
Despite the image, they were pretty decent musicians.

#39 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

Don't talk ridiculous, sub standard? NMTB is one of rocks all time great albums.
Despite the image, they were pretty decent musicians.

Ok.

#40 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

Ok.

Anytime bro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users