Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

congrats to the Rfl

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

so as the dust settles on a great win in a topsy turvy derby i just want to mention the Rfl and what a complete farce they have made of the title race with us finishing two weeks before crusaders and if we end up in the playoffs its four weeks without a game now. Whatever will be will be now, well done to the team and the travelling support last nite. OTID proud to be a roughyed

#2 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

As it seems likely that we will be in the nervous playoffs again does anyone know the format? Someone told me the old style playoffs no longer exist and there is a completely new format. 

#3 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

There you go mate. Play offs in all their glory :)

Week 1

3rd-placed club v 4th-placed club (Match A)

5th-placed club v 6th-placed club (Match B.)

(2nd-placed club have a bye to Week 2)

Week 2

2nd-placed team v Winner Match A (winner to Play-off final, loser at home in Week 3) (Match C)

Losing team Match A v Winning team match B (loser eliminated) (Match D)

Week 3

Losing team Match C v Winner Match D (winner to Play-off final, loser eliminated) (Match E)

Week 4

Kingstone Press Championship One play-off final: Winner Match C v Winner Match E

Edited by roughyed34, 17 August 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#4 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

This is more complicated than Duckworth-Lewis method in cricket.

I'm old fashioned and believe that the top two clubs in the league have earned the right to promotion by their performance over the season. Being a Hornets supporter it sticks in my throat to say this but if Oldham finish second then they should be promoted.  I suppose the rationale is that more clubs have something to play for at the end of the season.

#5 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

And dont forget the home team in the playoffs pay half the travel costs of the away team that in itself is a joke

#6 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Thought it was 3rd v6th ans 4th v 5th?

#7 Logic

Logic
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

Thought it was 3rd v6th ans 4th v 5th?

No, the format outlined by 'roughyed34' is definitely correct.

#8 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

Thanks for the information. Crikey it's more complicated than the EU Treaty. :sclerosis:

Edited by Ex-scrumhalf, 17 August 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#9 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

Other than being 2nd to 6th its the same as the old top 5 format that Super League had at the start and the Aussies had for decades.