Interesting excerpt from the Pennine ARL minutes

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#21 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

So why is this thread being used as yet another excuse to engage in a juvenile circular 'debate' about winter/summer?

Granted Pottsy the ref should know better, but that said it doesn't take long for other self proclaimed protagonists, to rise to the bait of a careless remark

#22 Stew R

Stew R
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

FFS! Give over the lot of you, it's pathetic!

If you want winter rugby league join a club that plays in a winter league, if you prefer summer join an RFL league.

This supposed debate is, quite frankly, pathetic and reflects badly on everyone concerned.

Time to grow up, move on, be happy with your own choices and accept other people's choices.

Is that so hard?

For so many people especially on here yes it is. Such a fantastic sport which sadly has it's finger constantly on the self destruct button from top to bottom.
So many short sighted and insular decisions it's often a shock to me how the sport still exists with this all this in built negativity
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

#23 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

I am a newcomer to this forum. As somebody who is comfortable with the idea of summer rugby I seem to be have become something of a target for the pro winter brigade with every post I write dissected and taken apart. To be honest it's not why a joined the forum. I was just looking to engage in some banter and perhaps learn something about a game that has been a big part of my life for nearly fifty years. Judging by some of the other posts others with a similar outlook as mine have chosen not to post anymore which seems a real shame. Unfortunately, I have something of a stubborn streak and allowed myself to become embroiled in some rather petty argument to the detriment of the forum as a whole. In future I think I'll just go back to helping the clubs I support and are involved in be the success stories that they are.

#24 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

I am a newcomer to this forum. As somebody who is comfortable with the idea of summer rugby I seem to be have become something of a target for the pro winter brigade with every post I write dissected and taken apart. To be honest it's not why a joined the forum. I was just looking to engage in some banter and perhaps learn something about a game that has been a big part of my life for nearly fifty years. Judging by some of the other posts others with a similar outlook as mine have chosen not to post anymore which seems a real shame. Unfortunately, I have something of a stubborn streak and allowed myself to become embroiled in some rather petty argument to the detriment of the forum as a whole. In future I think I'll just go back to helping the clubs I support and are involved in be the success stories that they are.

Well it's good to hear that you'll hang about to put forward your views young man which quite often I don't agree with. That is when I'll look at the construction of your posts and try to put my point over.

Stick to it Gar, with fifty years under your belt you will certainly show some resolve.

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 17 August 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#25 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Gar the argument for many of us who have been in this process from the outset is that the " FOUR SEASONS CONCEPT " has been lost by many people who do not or want to understand the concept , Pottsy gives a clear example in his " RFL " summer analogy .

The game should be played in what ever months suits the respective league / age groups and that is what the game is supposed to be working to .

If mature people who profess to understand the game do not understand the mechanics and politics of the sport and want to take their ball home then so be it , but the real rugby league lovers will stay resolute and stay the distance travel up and down the motorways and work to find a working solution for all the game not just a an individual club.

I will say it again we have to find the optimum playing time for each section of the game "one fit does not suit all "

#26 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Gar the argument for many of us who have been in this process from the outset is that the " FOUR SEASONS CONCEPT " has been lost by many people who do not or want to understand the concept , Pottsy gives a clear example in his " RFL " summer analogy .

The game should be played in what ever months suits the respective league / age groups and that is what the game is supposed to be working to .

If mature people who profess to understand the game do not understand the mechanics and politics of the sport and want to take their ball home then so be it , but the real rugby league lovers will stay resolute and stay the distance travel up and down the motorways and work to find a working solution for all the game not just a an individual club.

I will say it again we have to find the optimum playing time for each section of the game "one fit does not suit all "

It's interesting to see East Leeds - who are going well in NCL 2 - and Siddal, a club that will always remain a force, returning a side to the traditional side of things. Maybe these two clubs and others (Dudley Hill) are realising that they do need to continue where they left off a couple of seasons ago and this is just a step to test the water.

One things for sure is that these two clubs will be generating revenue in their club houses, even on the coldest, wettest, frostiest day that the weather can throw at us - mine's a Bovril.

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 17 August 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#27 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

This used to be a fantastic outlet for those isolated people pushing rugby league forward around the country to discuss the game with dedicated volunteers in the heartlands. Now it has become a Barla vs ex-Barla battle ground for those that have more interest in petty politics than they have in helping the sport grow and spread to new areas. Deeply depressing and a real shame, also a palpable illustration of why we are still a minor sport despite the excellence of the on-field product. Unwelcoming small-minded committee members at insular clubs more interested in scoring points over their neighbours or the governing body than they are in expanding the sport's player base.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#28 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

Maybe these players were just returning to their original clubs or simply looking for better standards. And if Dudley Hill players are responsible for helping sevral other clubs to success, how come they are at present languishing mid table in NCL division one instead of topping the premier pile.

These 3 players are Dudley Hill through and Through. Kitson and Wall GB BARLA internationals. 

#29 Ranger12

Ranger12
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

The responses so far sum up the problem with our game,too many personal agendas and selfish attitudes.the pennine league have kept with there entry criteria and dudley hill did not meet it.end of.shame the ncl have not kept to there's lately.
Do people honestly think that the pennine league would be the largest and one of the best run leagues in the country if they were petty and narrow minded.dont think so.
You can't have a strong foundation without rules and they have to be adhered to.as with anything in life.

#30 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

The responses so far sum up the problem with our game,too many personal agendas and selfish attitudes.the pennine league have kept with there entry criteria and dudley hill did not meet it.end of.shame the ncl have not kept to there's lately.
Do people honestly think that the pennine league would be the largest and one of the best run leagues in the country if they were petty and narrow minded.dont think so.
You can't have a strong foundation without rules and they have to be adhered to.as with anything in life.

Very true and a good example of a league not keeping to it's rules is the CMS Yorkshire league and look what happened.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#31 Stew R

Stew R
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

This used to be a fantastic outlet for those isolated people pushing rugby league forward around the country to discuss the game with dedicated volunteers in the heartlands. Now it has become a Barla vs ex-Barla battle ground for those that have more interest in petty politics than they have in helping the sport grow and spread to new areas. Deeply depressing and a real shame, also a palpable illustration of why we are still a minor sport despite the excellence of the on-field product. Unwelcoming small-minded committee members at insular clubs more interested in scoring points over their neighbours or the governing body than they are in expanding the sport's player base.

Perfect summing up and exactly why at the moment I struggle to find reasons to be involved in the sport.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

#32 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Perfect summing up and exactly why at the moment I struggle to find reasons to be involved in the sport.

Heart-breaking isn't it? So much bloody potential if they'd just stop undermining each other!!
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#33 Stew R

Stew R
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Heart-breaking isn't it? So much bloody potential if they'd just stop undermining each other!!

It certainly is.
There's potential for a reworking of a Christmas Carol based on the sport, there's plenty of Scrooge personalities out there. Maybe if there was a way of showing them what the sport and all clubs could be, we may see a change.

#34 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

These 3 players are Dudley Hill through and Through. Kitson and Wall GB BARLA internationals. 

I thought that Neil Wall deserved to be the man of the match at the BARLA National Cup Final. He put in a great knock against hot favourites Sharlston Rovers, that almost gave Wibsey the game - great player.

#35 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

an excellent post. yes the pennine league have entry criteria and Bradford Dudley Hill did not meet them and were therefore not admitted. this has nothing to do with winter scoring points over summer. however, if you want to get into that game, BDH A today forfeited there game against Thornhill as they couldn't raise a team! so would they have been able to complete their fixtures in the winter?

#36 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

I must confess I no knowledge of the mechanics or politics of the sport . That is a conscious decision and a principle I intend to stick to. What I do have is a desire to see the clubs I am involved with continue to flourish. We have expanded our player base and I think both could be described as flourishing and yes we have achieved that through embracing the concept of summer rugby. I'll bang the drum for summer rugby because I think it's a good thing. If in the long term the powers that be decide winter rugby or some other format is the way forward then I will be faced with a choice of either respecting and taking forward that decision or limiting my involvement and letting those that are more supportive of the decision taken move things on. Won't I won't do is seek to undermine the whole foundation of the game by trying to undermine the legitimate choice taken.

#37 Ranger12

Ranger12
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

I must confess I no knowledge of the mechanics or politics of the sport . That is a conscious decision and a principle I intend to stick to. What I do have is a desire to see the clubs I am involved with continue to flourish. We have expanded our player base and I think both could be described as flourishing and yes we have achieved that through embracing the concept of summer rugby. I'll bang the drum for summer rugby because I think it's a good thing. If in the long term the powers that be decide winter rugby or some other format is the way forward then I will be faced with a choice of either respecting and taking forward that decision or limiting my involvement and letting those that are more supportive of the decision taken move things on. Won't I won't do is seek to undermine the whole foundation of the game by trying to undermine the legitimate choice taken.

its true that for a minority of clubs summer rugby has been a resounding success.unfortunately for the majority it has not.these are very difficult times for club officials .which direction to take there clubs tradional season or summer.i know many clubs have a foot in both camps and are sitting on the fence to see how things pan out.making the wrong decision now could end up with the demise of there club,nothing anyone wants to see.
If you were to educate yourself about the current politics in the game,then you may understand people's frustration and anger towards the current situation.

#38 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

Maybe but you can't change the past. What is it that has made a a resounding success for some and not others?

Edited by Gar, 17 August 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#39 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Which clubs are you involved with ?

#40 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

Relevance?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users