Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting excerpt from the Pennine ARL minutes

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#61 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

We also need to replace older negative influences at clubs with inclusive, welcoming people that want to help the sport to grow rather than fight endless political battles.

Yes that's right, clear out the chairmen, secretaries, treasurers, committee men and benefactors who have built clubs from scratch and replace them with young camp followers who agree with your take on things.

Edited by once a ref always a ref, 18 August 2013 - 11:12 AM.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#62 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

I guess all clubs will lose some players that have other summer interests. The key is to replace them with even more players that CAN play in summer but have other interests through winter. What we have got to be about is letting as many people as possible play and support rugby league. If that means that some clubs operate a winter team alongside a summer team so be it. I think as a sport we have taken a landmark decision to move to a summer season and in my opinion as many clubs and players as possible should follow that lead. We also need to replace older negativeukem influences at clubs with inclusive, welcoming people that want to help the sport to grow rather than fight endless political battles.

Exactly,100% correct. Those clubs that are moving forward and growing stronger are those who have taken on board your suggestion in your final sentence. Those that haven't ... Well it's a case of the Grand Old Duke of York I'm afraid.... They marched them up to the top of the hill and they marched them down again...

#63 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Yes that's right, clear out the chairmen, secretaries, treasurers, committee men and benefactors who have built clubs from scratch and replace them with young camp followers who agree with your take on things.

If they are whinging negative types they will kill the clubs they allegedly built, ask yourself this question - 'if a young person from a different background to the rest of your squad came to your clubhouse, would he be welcomed or not'? If not, that atmosphere will do more harm than good and will see declining numbers summer or winter
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#64 samsung

samsung
  • Coach
  • 869 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Even if he was to say which clubs he was involved in how and why would you want to disprove this.
Why not simply ask what positive moves they've made to make it happen.
By asking the question and making this statement you provided a fine example of the negativity that is so frustrating for many of us involved in the great sport

Sadly Stew, they don't believe there ARE any positives to summer. And they won't rest until the rest of us agree with them. The band of people who doesn't want anyone else deviating from their way of thinking are worse than the RFL and BARLA put together! There are positives to summer and winter - we're all lucky enough at the present time to be able to please ourselves!

As an aside, how Taxi can honestly believe that winter is better for 7s to 12s is beyond me. I've seen too many kids crying on a touchline on a wet December Sunday morning!

#65 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

I don't particularly want to get involved in any historic battles between BARLA , RFL or anybody else. It has no relevance to the way my clubs operate going forward. I don't know any of the personalities involved nor do I want to . What I am happy to do is share my experiences and those of my clubs with people. Some experiences may be positive some even negative. I would also be interested to hear of other peoples experiences to see if I can learn anything which I can share with those running my clubs to help them going forward. That's what we are focused on. The future and moving the clubs forward. One thing I am certain of is those clubs that embrace the changes and go forward with a positive outlook will grow stronger and dominate the amateur game in years to come. Those that need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the new world and are weighed down with heavy emotional baggage will be a shadow of their former selves if indeed they continue to exist at all. As in all walks of life it's likely to be survival of the fittest.

#66 Ranger12

Ranger12
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

How as another debate turned into summer v winter,can people not stick to the topic in question.

#67 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Eureka

#68 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Sadly Stew, they don't believe there ARE any positives to summer. And they won't rest until the rest of us agree with them. The band of people who doesn't want anyone else deviating from their way of thinking are worse than the RFL and BARLA put together! There are positives to summer and winter - we're all lucky enough at the present time to be able to please ourselves!

As an aside, how Taxi can honestly believe that winter is better for 7s to 12s is beyond me. I've seen too many kids crying on a touchline on a wet December Sunday morning!

Samsung please tell me where I promote what you are implying .?
Its over 7 years since we allocated any fixtures in December
Who was it who took the nwc juniors into the summer months and who was the only league to have a winter break ? Long before we switched to summer I am not anti summer rugby I am all for it it is well documented that I think we have got the start and finish wrong so if your going to have a pop get your facts right if you actually show an interest and keep up to speed with your junior section you would know that or if your confused as to what our playing policy is perhaps you should talk to your junior co ordinator just in case you do not know who he is its Chris Irwin .

Edited by TaxiEgg, 18 August 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#69 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Eureka

Correct - The issue here is that a particular league refused a particular club entry to their league simply because the club didn't meet the standard/criteria needed.

#70 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

Samsung please tell me where I promote what you are implying .?
Who was it who took the nwc juniors into the summer months and who was the only league to have a winter break ? Long before we switched to summer I am not anti summer rugby I am all for it it is well documented that I think we have got the start and finish wrong so if your going to have a pop get your facts right if you actually show an interest and keep up to speed with your junior section you would know that or if your confused as to what our playing policy is perhaps you should talk to your junior co ordinator just in case you do not know who he is its Chris Irwin .

Taxi we all know that we run roughly a 9 month season and there are problems in both summer and winter, with juniors could you see two short seasons within a 12 month period working for the kids with promotion and relegation at the end of each short season, this would obviously give you smaller divisions but hopefully more of them, if managed correctly the two off season periods could be during the summer holidays and around Christmas.

With promotion and relegation being twice a year it could also see struggling clubs hanging in with the knowledge that in a short time they may be playing at a level they could compete at.

Just a thought

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#71 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Taxi we all know that we run roughly a 9 month season and there are problems in both summer and winter, with juniors could you see two short seasons within a 12 month period working for the kids with promotion and relegation at the end of each short season, this would obviously give you smaller divisions but hopefully more of them, if managed correctly the two off season periods could be during the summer holidays and around Christmas.

With promotion and relegation being twice a year it could also see struggling clubs hanging in with the knowledge that in a short time they may be playing at a level they could compete at.

Just a thought

I think that's a real common sense proposal Jim. As well as the benefits you've pointed out, it'd also make it easier for developing clubs to extend their involvement once they're ready.

I believe they use a similar model in South American soccer and I know they Danny Kazandjian replicated this idea when he set up the RL comp in Lebanon.

Really good idea.

#72 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

We already do that in the North West Juniors but do not play in leagues they start at U13s .
We have groups at 11s and 12s with a view at looking at the younger age groups in 2014.

We had a perfect working model as I have quoted before starting in September and finishing in June with very few problems.

Anyway back to Dudley Hill ,could anyone throw their ten bobs worth in as to why they wanted to switch back ?

Edited by TaxiEgg, 18 August 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#73 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

A point for both the RFL and NCL to consider is, why are they not making Dudley Hill pay their dues to the Bradford ARL before allowing them to have fixtures in the respective leagues - NCL and Yorkshire Men's which are both run by the RFL. 

Also does this send out the message to players/clubs that they can switch seasons without paying outstanding monies to their club or clubs. It certainly was the norm when the Domino Pizza goldrush occurred in NWC ARL

The BARLA constitution did hold some protection against movement of clubs/players whilst owing monies and if I remember correctly the RFL somewhat duplicated this in their pre summer applications, but sadly all this seems to have been side stepped.

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 18 August 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#74 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

How as another debate turned into summer v winter,can people not stick to the topic in question.

I may have misunderstood but it looked to me as though the original topic was posted with the intention of sparking another summer/winter debate.

#75 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

We already do that in the North West Juniors but do not play in leagues they start at U13s .
We have groups at 11s and 12s with a view at looking at the younger age groups in 2014.

We had a perfect working model as I have quoted before starting in September and finishing in June with very few problems.

You have to stop leaving your notes where people can see them, they will end up as ideas on here. ;)

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#76 Boo

Boo
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

really anyone does it really matter who is in or out of the league, the main focus should be on the forth coming season. start concentrating on your own clubs.

#77 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

really anyone does it really matter who is in or out of the league, the main focus should be on the forth coming season. start concentrating on your own clubs.

Obviously clubs should be focussing on the new season but also have a mind on what is happening outside their club environment. How would you feel if your club confirms to all the rules, pays all their dues etc; then a club is allowed to play when they do not confirm to rules.

#78 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

Obviously clubs should be focussing on the new season but also have a mind on what is happening outside their club environment. How would you feel if your club confirms to all the rules, pays all their dues etc; then a club is allowed to play when they do not confirm to rules.

I would consider that it had nowt to do with me and my club and get on with the job of playing and administrating rugby league.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#79 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

I would consider that it had nowt to do with me and my club and get on with the job of playing and administrating rugby league.

And adhere to the rules set down of course

#80 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

On that point why would the RFL need clubs to sign up to the Operational Rules?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users