New Balls Please

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Is there a problem with the new ball? After Thursdays drop-a thon and a few weeks back in the cup semi final it appears that with any excess moisture through humidity or slight drizzle the players seem unable to keep a grip on the ball. Neither Warrington or Hull could surely not make so many errors in a normal game. If there is a problem with the ball i hope it is rectified before the world cup. Imagine the fiasco if this happened in the WC final because it will almost certainly be raining in November.

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

Is there a problem with the new ball? After Thursdays drop-a thon and a few weeks back in the cup semi final it appears that with any excess moisture through humidity or slight drizzle the players seem unable to keep a grip on the ball. Neither Warrington or Hull could surely not make so many errors in a normal game. If there is a problem with the ball i hope it is rectified before the world cup. Imagine the fiasco if this happened in the WC final because it will almost certainly be raining in November.

Steeden are supplying the World Cup balls.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

rhino balls ar great in the dry, but any moisture and they cannot be handled well.

#4 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

There has been a sudden jump in the number of knockonathons and I think it must be related to the ball. You could argue that the standard of the league has slipped but you don't find knockonathons at the lower level simply because the standard is lower.

The Rhino chief has denied there is a problem but he would.

It's not a good sign that we're using a different ball for the world cup, a ball that the Aussies have been using all year.

#5 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

It's not a good sign that we're using a different ball for the world cup, a ball that the Aussies have been using all year.

If you can catch a bar of soap it should seem easy to catch something with grip.
But your right, the flight and characteristics of a familiar ball will give them another little bit of advantage and the Aussies are always looking for the edge in the little things.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#6 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

The Rhino chief is ex-Saints CEO Tony Colquitt. He has said there is nothing wrong with them but they are looking to make some improvements. Sounds like political spin to me.
Follow me on twitter @MalcHankey

#7 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

No worries for the World Cup. As they've been using the Rhino bar of soap in Super League I expect NO knock ons from England for the entire World Cup when they use the sticky Steedens. ;-)
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#8 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

The Rhino chief is ex-Saints CEO Tony Colquitt. He has said there is nothing wrong with them but they are looking to make some improvements. Sounds like political spin to me.

He's hardly likely to say that his products are pap as he snuggles under the duvet with every wimbledon champion's dreamboat now is he?

Bring back Steedon.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#9 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

I blame agent Inverdale. ;-)

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#10 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

The current steedon ball,used in Austalia i beleive, will be used in the WC, is that right?.If so why has SLE chosen to use the Rhino ball " this season" if its completely different?

#11 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:02 AM

The current steedon ball,used in Austalia i beleive, will be used in the WC, is that right?.If so why has SLE chosen to use the Rhino ball " this season" if its completely different?

Because the ball deal was up for negotiation and I presume Rhino was cheaper (or considered better...ok cheaper).

Rhino for 3 years I think.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#12 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:51 AM

It wasn't the cheaper aspect, Rhino simply threw more money at the RFL than Steeden.  Not a surprise, Rhino did the same with the English RFU to steal that partnership from Gilbert (who is owned by the same company as Steeden).

Posted Image

#13 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:55 AM

It wasn't the cheaper aspect, Rhino simply threw more money at the RFL than Steeden.  Not a surprise, Rhino did the same with the English RFU to steal that partnership from Gilbert (who is owned by the same company as Steeden).

Well we can't complain too much if the RFL got more money for once!

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,036 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

Well we can't complain too much if the RFL got more money for once!

Exactly. But people still will!

As for the Aussies having an advantage, how? If you practise with a ball that's harder to use, by the time you get an easier ball it is REALLY easy to use! It's why we used to train with tennis-ball sized rugby balls! By the time you get the normal size back it feels like you're catching a blimp! Easy.
Posted Image

#15 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

Article in the papers this week suggests Rhino want to be in RL for the long-term. They seem to have paid more than Steeden were prepared to pay, so good on 'em. We need a bit of competition for sponsors & suppliers in RL.

#16 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Exactly. But people still will!
As for the Aussies having an advantage, how? If you practise with a ball that's harder to use, by the time you get an easier ball it is REALLY easy to use! It's why we used to train with tennis-ball sized rugby balls! By the time you get the normal size back it feels like you're catching a blimp! Easy.

I do not agree with this. skills are specific. although there will be some transferable factors involved with the tennis ball, there are other constraints that come into play, e.g. weight of the ball, timing of the muscle action, information processing in the brain. obviously there will be a very high crossover between a steeden and a rhino, although it will not be 100%. it may only be a 99% crossover, however, this would still disadvantage us against a team that has prepared with the correct playing implement.

Edited by ehbandit, 17 August 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#17 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

I would like to see the old ARL ball which was yellow with a black stripe on either end.

#18 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

I do not agree with this. skills are specific. although there will be some transferable factors involved with the tennis ball, there are other constraints that come into play, e.g. weight of the ball, timing of the muscle action, information processing in the brain. obviously there will be a very high crossover between a steeden and a rhino, although it will not be 100%. it may only be a 99% crossover, however, this would still disadvantage us against a team that has prepared with the correct playing implement.

The cross over isn't anywhere near the figures you imagine.  The Rhino is a cart horse, the Steeden is a thoroughbred.  

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#19 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

Article in the papers this week suggests Rhino want to be in RL for the long-term. They seem to have paid more than Steeden were prepared to pay, so good on 'em. We need a bit of competition for sponsors & suppliers in RL.

On the flipside Steeden are a born and bred rugby league brand/company with a long history of producing RL footballs. Never heard of Rhino until the RFL announcement.

Edited by kioli, 17 August 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#20 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

On the flipside Steeden are a born and bred rugby league brand/company with a long history of producing RL footballs. Never heard of Rhino until the RFL announcement.

Steeden stopped being a born and bred Rugby League brand in 1995 when Grey-Nicolls bought them out.  These days Steeden's are pretty much made in the same factory's that Gilbert's are made in India. 

Rhino will get better, but the fact is Steeden has the runs on the board in terms of making a good synthetic RL ball.  It's one of those things that will unfortunately take a few years.  

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users