Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Balls Please

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 TheMancunianCandidate

TheMancunianCandidate
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Steeden stopped being a born and bred Rugby League brand in 1995 when Grey-Nicolls bought them out.  These days Steeden's are pretty much made in the same factory's that Gilbert's are made in India. 

Apologies to have to correct you, but the Steeden factory is a completely different one to the Gilbert one and is in fact in a different city.

The Steeden is still the players choice throughout the world and remains a born and bred Rugby League brand. Steeden are in it for the long term despite what rumours you may have heard or read, and progress is being made as we speak to allow Steeden to continue as the No 1 Rugby League ball in the UK.

#22 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

Colquit has brought a hell of a lot of funding to RL in this country.

He's obviously brought more money in from Rhino than the RFL were getting from Steeden, and he was the former driector of Gillette UK who brought their sponsorship to the game for many years.

Regardless of the current issues with the ball our game needs more people like Colquit to get big business involved and bring much needed investment.

#23 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

having used both balls, in my opinion the Steeden is head and shoulders above the current Rhino ball. The Rhino ball can be really slippery, but that doesn't mean to say we should just switch back to Steeden. If Rhino are offering more money to supply balls, and can improve the current ball to a level where it is on par or better than the previous Steeden, then happy days. But the RFL need to (and should have to begin with) done some serious testing to make sure the ball is up to scratch.

If Rhino cant provide a ball as good as the Steeden then we need to revert back to the Steeden.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#24 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Another knockathon in wet conditions!

#25 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

flipside Steeden are a born and bred rugby league brand/company with a long history of producing RL footballs. Never heard of Rhino until the RFL announcement.

Wasn't the dreaded 8 panel ball a Rhino?

I know they made them as my club played with 8 panel Rhino balls back in the Rugby League Conference.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#26 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Gilbert made the 8 panelled ball used in the 2000 World Cup

The Rhino ball is terrible in wet conditions, it didn't take the players long to realise this which is why one or two have been cautioned by the ref for squirting water on the ball before a drop out.

#27 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

Being the saddo that I am, I wanted to know whether the effect of the Rhino balls had shown up on the Opta statistics that are taken at every game.

They don't have a statistic for knock ons but they do for errors. Whilst this can include a number of things, you'd expect there to be an increase. The results surprised me. On average in 2012 there were 24.8 errors per game and in 2013 so far there has been an average of 24.8 errors per game. Remarkably consistent I'm sure you'll agree.

This does seem counter however to the recent RL that we have seen. I certainly don't recall many games like today, Warrington last week or Hulls quarter final for sheer number of knock ons. There seems to be a lot that slip out the tackle too and the players on twitter seem to dislike the ball.

#28 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

Maybe players are being shown up as not having the same skill to control the ball now?  Back in the day in the mud and rain that happened every week players had to learn how to catch and control the ball without the aids of grips on the ball

#29 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Maybe players are being shown up as not having the same skill to control the ball now?  Back in the day in the mud and rain that happened every week players had to learn how to catch and control the ball without the aids of grips on the ball

But wasn't the game a lot slower back then?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#30 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

I don't think this is true otherwise we would see a gradual decreasing of skills down through the leagues and always would have done. When Widnes were in the lower reaches of the Championship we didn't see this anything like this amount of handling errors. 

#31 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Maybe players are being shown up as not having the same skill to control the ball now? Back in the day in the mud and rain that happened every week players had to learn how to catch and control the ball without the aids of grips on the ball

Nah.

The ball is promoted by 1-13 far more hear days, it's the norm rather than the exception. The Rhino is a dud compared to The Steeden.

#32 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

A friend of mine attended a forum at Saints on Wednesday night and this subject was raised. Someone from Saints (Mike Rush) said he believed the Rhino deal was worth a total of £1,500 more to the RFL then the Steeden deal. :O

I asked my mate if that was for the life of the deal or per year and he wasn't sure. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#33 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Anyone remember the old mitre balls? They were hard to catch in any conditions especially slippy ones. However players rarely dropped the ball and had great handling skills

#34 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Anyone remember the old mitre balls? They were hard to catch in any conditions especially slippy ones. However players rarely dropped the ball and had great handling skills

Poor quality trolling.

#35 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Poor quality trolling.

Trolling? How so?
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#36 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Bring back the old-skool Mitre Multiplex

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#37 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Being the saddo that I am, I wanted to know whether the effect of the Rhino balls had shown up on the Opta statistics that are taken at every game.

They don't have a statistic for knock ons but they do for errors. Whilst this can include a number of things, you'd expect there to be an increase. The results surprised me. On average in 2012 there were 24.8 errors per game and in 2013 so far there has been an average of 24.8 errors per game. Remarkably consistent I'm sure you'll agree.

This does seem counter however to the recent RL that we have seen. I certainly don't recall many games like today, Warrington last week or Hulls quarter final for sheer number of knock ons. There seems to be a lot that slip out the tackle too and the players on twitter seem to dislike the ball.

I guess the weather would be a factor and hence needs comparison as that could hide any statistical discrepancy.

The eye opener for me was the Hull v Catalan CC game... both teams spilling the ball so often their had to be an issue...

#38 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

I guess the weather would be a factor and hence needs comparison as that could hide any statistical discrepancy.

The eye opener for me was the Hull v Catalan CC game... both teams spilling the ball so often their had to be an issue...

I agree. I picked this up straight away and it spoilt the game for me a little. I knew this was so slippy it was going to be dropped the whole way through so was expecting it. It was the same feeling at the CCF.

Yet, this week everything was back to normal. So how the ball behaves in the wet is an real issue.

#39 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,780 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

Players to have input in new ball design.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#40 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

It should be remembered that it rained all summer in 2012, whereas this year has been unusually dry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users