Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Warrington Steward

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

Just been sent this clip from thursday's game.  Not pretty watching.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uu3fFK_uIrI

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

While it doesn't look good, it is always worth remembering with youtube clips that we don't know what went on before the filming started.

#3 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,718 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Clearly unacceptable. There are a number of accounts flying around though about what provoked this, one of them involving an alleged attack on a female steward. The best thing would be to let both clubs and Cheshire Police do their job.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#4 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

whoa! does not look good! assault? maybe ther was some justification, but I do not know what It could be. there was obviously enough stewards around to overpower the speccy, but, the punches did seem disproportionate

Edited by ehbandit, 17 August 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#5 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Doesn't look clever does it. Not sure why Widnes have suddenly had this group of idiots who follow them away. Be interested to know what training course the steward went on!

#6 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

I've read that smoke bombs were being thrown.

Regardless of the circumstances leading up to this pasting, there is no excuse for it.  These are supposed to be trained, professional security staff, absolutely not acceptable.

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

Important Moderating Note:

It's fairly obvious to anyone watching that this is likely to get some police attention at some point.  As such, please be careful with what you're posting.  Just because on the face of it it's quite shocking does not mean you know everything.

I'm not asking you to stop posting or commenting on the obvious nature of the video but be careful about jumping to conclusions about what started it and things that are not on the video.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

whoa! does not look good! assault? maybe ther was some justification, but I do not know what It could be. there was obviously enough stewards around to overpower the speccy, but, the punches did seem disproportionate

For all I know the speccy was punching the ###### out of another steward before this guy comes in and rescues the situation.

It doesn't look good and questions need to be asked but let's not rush to judgement.

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,071 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

For all I know the speccy was punching the ###### out of another steward before this guy comes in and rescues the situation.

It doesn't look good and questions need to be asked but let's not rush to judgement.

This ^

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#10 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

I doubt the speccy did anything to warrant being held back by two oafs while another oaf lays into his head a few times. Rescuing the situation would be restraining the fan and handing him over to the police, not becoming just as bad as he by lamping him. Disgusting.

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#11 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Rescuing the situation would be restraining the fan and handing him over to the police, not becoming just as bad as he by lamping him. Disgusting.

This.

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#12 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

This is what happens when you give a thug an orange jacket and the slightest bit of authority. If the fan was kicking off hevshould have been restrained and handed over to the trained professionals ie. The police.

#13 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

When I went to the Championships Grand Final last season I found the Halliwell Jones stewards to be a bunch of posturing, intimidatory carpet thieves who were clearly local nightclub doorstaff moonlighting for an extra few quid.

Posted Image

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,695 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

I doubt the speccy did anything to warrant being held back by two oafs while another oaf lays into his head a few times. Rescuing the situation would be restraining the fan and handing him over to the police, not becoming just as bad as he by lamping him. Disgusting.

maybe my eyes are not as good as yours but your description above is not on the video i watched.

There were punches being thrown which may not be acceptable, i have no idea what the laws are with security/bouncers but it looks like many nasty incidents you see on a night out.

#15 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

It doesn't look great, I hope if he is punching and assaulting someone it will be dealt with accordingly.

But, what if the situation was the spectator was holding him or a colleague in a similar way in which attacking players sometimes hold onto defenders in tackles.  Maybe he was punching or hitting his arm trying to get him to release his grip.

The problem here is the lack of clarity.

But my bet its just a thug who will hopefully get all that's coming to him.

#16 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

The whole purpose of licensing stewards is to prevent this sort of reaction. Will be subject to review and the management need to be challenged as to suitability / correct procedure.

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

what some are forgetting is that if some widnes fans hadn't behaved like arseholes then this would not have happened. that said the steward should be banned for his totally unprofessional response to the bad behaviour of a few mindless yobs...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#18 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

but it looks like many nasty incidents you see on a night out.

Are things that bad on a night out in Warrington or Edinburgh Dave that you see things like that as the norm?

rldfsignature.jpg

#19 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

In the mid to late 90s Leeds was terrible for this sort of thing, most of it caused by idiotic bouncers. It seemed to calm down during the noughties but seems to have become pretty rough in Leeds recently.

#20 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

this ^^^
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users