Tom Hodson gone

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

Signed for Huddersfield RUFC it would seem. Not really surprising I guess as looked like his first team opportunities were going to be limited.

https://www.facebook...cation=timeline

#2 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

Shame, didn't think he really got an extended chance to show what he could do. Devastating pace but rarely seen sadly.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#3 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

His ability has been wasted for too long; With that talent you can't hang about too long; Good luck Tom;

#4 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,922 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

It's the old dilemma tho isn't it.... e.g..... who do we leave out to give him the extended run he so badly needed
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#5 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

I think the galling thing for him will have been seeing sharp come in mid season.  

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#6 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,922 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Without doubt Alvin..... but, unfortunately for Tom, sharpy is a much better player. Tommy's days at fev were numbered from then on....
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#7 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

It didn't help that he never really had a recognised centre playing alongside him, he was just unlucky in that respect. A flier like Hodson needs a centre who can release him and suck in the opposite winger, and that's something Smeaton and Mellars can both do very well, but Hodson never got to play with either. Unfortunately he couldn't offer what Sharp/Saxton can in terms of making yardage from acting half back etc as his size made him too easy to tackle unless he got half a yard of space. Talented player, though, and shame to lose him from RL, though from a selfish point of view I'm relieved he won't be lining up against us for another Championship club. As an aside, he'd make a fantastic seven-a-side player.

#8 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

It didn't help that he never really had a recognised centre playing alongside him, he was just unlucky in that respect. A flier like Hodson needs a centre who can release him and suck in the opposite winger, and that's something Smeaton and Mellars can both do very well, but Hodson never got to play with either. Unfortunately he couldn't offer what Sharp/Saxton can in terms of making yardage from acting half back etc as his size made him too easy to tackle unless he got half a yard of space. Talented player, though, and shame to lose him from RL, though from a selfish point of view I'm relieved he won't be lining up against us for another Championship club. As an aside, he'd make a fantastic seven-a-side player.

His position of choice is Full Back.

#9 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

His position of choice is Full Back.

Maybe he should have been given more chances at that position, especially when Hardman has been injured, but I'd be surprised if he expected to play full back when he joined us, given we had a clear vacancy on the wing, he'd been playing that position for Doncaster the previous season, and we have an established full back who is part of the furniture at the club.

#10 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

The point you make about him needing a centre to draw is man is valid. If you look at his early success this season it was from the cut out passes of Kyle Briggs, especially the opening game v Leigh. When Briggs left the pocture Tommy's chances dried up somewhat.

As for him not expecting to play full back I agree again, however if you look at many of Rovers' choices in the backs over recent seasons you would see a host of players who are not or did not play in there expected positions. Examples are; Tommy Saxton he was signed predominantly to replace Whittle at left centre but found himself playing at left wing. Danny Kirmond was a centre/second row but when Matty Wray emigrated he played on the wing. Hardman was signed as a centre to replace Elvis but rarely played there and really replaced Wildbore at full back. Tangi Ropati was signed as a centre but Greg made the position his own and Tangi replaced Ben Cockayne / Bryn Powell in the end. I suppose what I'm droning on about is a lot of players have played recently adapting their styles to suit other positions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users