Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who should replace London Broncos in Superleague 2014 ?

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#1 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

Lets just accept London Broncos as not being in Super League for 2014, I therefore asl this forum the question that no doubt is the cause of many a late night Pizza Hut delivery to Red Hall - Who should repolace them ?

Easy 13 Club League

But the RFL is commi9tted to the "Magic" weekend in Manchester, on 17/18 May 2014. It won't run with 13 Clubs.

Easy Toulouse can play Catalans

But 2014 is the year of death in the Super League and points will be at a premium in 2014. You gifting Catalans 2 points then ?

Bring in a championship club. My village team is going great guns bring on the Super League

Even if a championship club could secure a wealthy backer where would the players come from. Most players of Super League standard are already snapped up and anyway if the game had the resources that allowed clubs to move from the championship to Super League we would not be talking about reducing Super League to 12 clubs would we.

Never mind our boys are from a traditional heartland Club are they can run for  the full 80 minutes

And if results for Batley, Featherstone and Sheffield against the worst London Broncos team ever to set foot on the field are to go by they will be spending the 80 minutes getting back into position having conceded another try and on the end of 40 point thrashings most weeks.

Part-Timers against Full timers

Yet many on this board and certain LPL journalists claimed the Championship clubs would win. Anyway do you have the money to go full time for 2014 ?

They don't spend money watering the grassroots at my club, Thousands have been transferred to London and Crusaders, The referees have also been paid by the RFl to help these Clubs against our boys.

If the gentleman at the Batley Challenge Cup game last year who came out with this. Is reading this post and dribbling over his keyboard let me point out that professional referees do get paid by the RFL it's called wages and as for RFL money transfers to London please PM me if you know the date and time for the severance payment. Anyway what's all this got to do with your club and Super League in 2014 

Easy Forget the championship and bring in Toulouse

Yes, but we then get The French Question which bedevils P&R - where do you relegate a French Club to.The Championship ?. It was not a great success last time was it and I can hear the complaints from West Yorkshire and Cumbria about travelling expendses as I type this.

So there you have it - discuss

Maybe Garry Schofield has access to t'interweb and can tell us all the answer......

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Lets just accept London Broncos as not being in Super League for 2014...

Its as easy as that is it?

Posted Image

#3 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,585 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

Chippy southerner.

rldfsignature.jpg

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

If there is no London Broncos franchise I think the RFL are going to have to look to fund a 14th team as a stop-gap measure.  It's not like anybody will lose out by the Broncos away support not turning up.

I'd look to the model of the Unicorns that have been dicking around in the 40 over cricket league.

Like I say, just for 1 season until everything is sorted from 2015 onwards.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Lets just accept London Broncos as not being in Super League for 2014, I therefore asl this forum the question that no doubt is the cause of many a late night Pizza Hut delivery to Red Hall - Who should repolace them ?

No brainer for me.

Toulouse who apparently need to start in SL to grow and will allow the RFL and those interested in expansion to ignore questions on London and Wax lyrical about an anglo-french comp and a return to meaningful northern hemisphere international test matches.

To put any of the CC clubs up is a poison chalice for them shurely? Who'd want it? They weren't chomping ay the bit to replace Bradford....

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

London not the Broncos.

Madness to abandon them.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#7 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

How about a London team (ran by the RFL) based on their young lads playing out the year on the road at low cost grounds like Hemel/Skolars/Oxford?

#8 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Easy
Promote the team that comes top of the championship, but don't give them any time to prepare or Superleague money

That's the precident isn't it

Also it solves the issue of who to relegate at the end of the season, at least partly

#9 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

London not the Broncos.

Madness to abandon them.

Yet it might be unavoidable.

#10 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

Winners of the championship grand final, not enough time for Toulouse to assemble a playing squad, coaching staff, administration team and ground etc.

#11 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

Never mind our boys are from a traditional heartland Club are they can run for  the full 80 minutes

And if results for Batley, Featherstone and Sheffield against the worst London Broncos team ever to set foot on the field are to go by they will be spending the 80 minutes getting back into position having conceded another try and on the end of 40 point thrashings most weeks.

My information on the Sheffield game is that London had a lot of help from the ref. As for the Fev game, Fev led at half time and just ran out of steam - part- timers against full time pros.

If Fev's performance last season against Cas and Wigan are any guide they wouldn't make a bad fist of SL - I'm sure they'd have no difficulty finishing bottom.  I reckon Sheffield also could put up a show at this level given full time players.

TBF any Championship side would need a bit more notice before entering 2014 comp.  I personally would perfer a proper P&R season to decide which team's in SL and which team's out.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yet it might be unavoidable.

This game has been edging on suicide since 1895, one day they will find the right method.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

My information on the Sheffield game is that London had a lot of help from the ref.

Nope.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#14 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hopefully another London club or Tolouse. No need for anymore northern clubs.

#15 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

london broncos but properly capitalised and with access to a decent playing base

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

My information on the Sheffield game is that London had a lot of help from the ref. As for the Fev game, Fev led at half time and just ran out of steam - part- timers against full time pros.

If Fev's performance last season against Cas and Wigan are any guide they wouldn't make a bad fist of SL - I'm sure they'd have no difficulty finishing bottom.  I reckon Sheffield also could put up a show at this level given full time players.

TBF any Championship side would need a bit more notice before entering 2014 comp.  I personally would perfer a proper P&R season to decide which team's in SL and which team's out.

Where did this information come from?

Edited by Padge, 18 August 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#17 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Where did this information come from?

The voices in his head.

#18 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Hopefully London survive and move to the hive next season,that 'in itself'should save them 10s of thousands of ££££££££ a year.
Get rid of the high earners and trust in the youth they've developed and mix a few experienced players in with them.

If thats not enough then the other sl clubs will need to tip in a few quid to get them through the 2014 season.

Just be open and honest about it instead of the usual bull they come out with

#19 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

This game has been edging on suicide since 1895, one day they will find the right method.

One way might to take over a club that loses a couple of million a year.

#20 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

One way might to take over a club that loses a couple of million a year.

Or try to support 30 odd clubs that between them lose several millions per year.