Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who should replace London Broncos in Superleague 2014 ?

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#361 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

Given that your sources are likely to be a d*mn*d sight better than those of most of us on here, I find that reassuring - As far as a ground's concerned, there's still a lot of kerfufferling going on between Barnet F.C. and the council about terms of use.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome. Same for Wakefield, but it may not save either of them from relegation next year although again like Wakefield fans are saying, the aim would be to get straight back up. I assume under the new set up that the "standards" licensing carried will be fully relaxed, and that the salary cap for SL2 will not be restrictive.

I also assume now the reason for the radical changes proposed was that such clubs like London, Wakefield, and several others could not go on under licensing/standards.

#362 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome. Same for Wakefield, but it may not save either of them from relegation next year although again like Wakefield fans are saying, the aim would be to get straight back up. I assume under the new set up that the "standards" licensing carried will be fully relaxed, and that the salary cap for SL2 will not be restrictive.

I also assume now the reason for the radical changes proposed was that such clubs like London, Wakefield, and several others could not go on under licensing/standards.

Won't it be harder to carry on with no Licensing Standards with teams blowing money on players they haven't got and ignoring the infrastructure of the club and therefore everyone else having to do likewise or finish mid table?

Edited by RS, 31 August 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#363 BJW

BJW
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

From what I hear, the Broncos are likely to be alive and kicking within Super League next season.

I'd put the odds at about 75%.

Pedantically, those aren't odds !

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

#364 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

The history goes back even more (I am not too sure if the club that went bust was the same company that was formed by Barry Maranta and then sold to Virgin) or if it was a new one.

Maranta (Wonderful fella) did a deal with Branson to sell 30% of the club to Virgin for around 900K (This was back in the late 90,s) on turning up at the lawyers (Branson was not there) they discovered that Virgin had changed the deal to 100% ownership and they were told on the spot to take it or leave it (Sadly they had no choice)

Nick was brought in (Originally an accountant) as CEO when the Broncos were at Brentford and it was decided that the debt was just too high to carry on and the debts had to be dumped,the SL clubs voted in favour (St Helen,s led the way in voting for the club to be re-admitted with a new company)

The argument was that the bad management from Virgin had built up the debts which i can believe as the club was a basket case financially when they were in control.

CM

Thanks - where did DH fit in with this as he was involved before the debt dumping. Also this does not explain why someone moved the club away from Griffin Park. DH has so called put millions on whilst they have been at the Stoop so why not do the same at Griffin Park where the crowds were better and fans were happier. Ive never met a single person who was happy about the name change or ground move

#365 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,994 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

..... Ive never met a single person who was happy about the name change or ground move

Liar.

#366 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Won't it be harder to carry on with no Licensing Standards with teams blowing money on players they haven't got and ignoring the infrastructure of the club and therefore everyone else having to do likewise or finish mid table?

I'm not quite sure why everyone assumes that all clubs will blow all their money on players. History has shown that lots of clubs have done that, and Gary Hetherington has often talked about the poor management at some clubs, but it doesn't have to be the way. In rugby league the salary cap and the relatively low costs mean that almost any club that is run well and managed within its means can get to the top. But not if clubs want to try and take a short cut.

#367 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,398 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Liar.

Lobby and reality seldom meet.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#368 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

Liar.

Bit uncalled for that Bob.

With all due respect, how do you know who I've met and not met?

#369 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thanks - where did DH fit in with this as he was involved before the debt dumping. Also this does not explain why someone moved the club away from Griffin Park. DH has so called put millions on whilst they have been at the Stoop so why not do the same at Griffin Park where the crowds were better and fans were happier. Ive never met a single person who was happy about the name change or ground move

DH started as a normal director in the Charlton era, I think he was on the Charlton F.C. board at the time. As far as I remember, the move from Griffin Park was done to escape a crippling rental of something like £250k/year, Harlequins giving us a 3 year rent free agreement.

#370 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

I think the rent was double that IIRC Chronicler.

#371 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Pedantically, those aren't odds !

Ok. 3/1 on then.

#372 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

From what I hear, the Broncos are likely to be alive and kicking within Super League next season.

I'd put the odds at about 75%.

Martyn

Withiout revealing confidences or any RLE scoop for tomorrow, as you say over the restructuring of the game, simply changing venues does not deal with the long term issues facing London Broncos. In particular:

The XIII London can put out next year, I know that the club have been making enquiries down under about available players in reserve grade and of pacific islander heritage. I also noted Mike Stevenson's comment to Irvine on Backchat "are you sure that the goalposts have not shifted again". Does this mean that the RFL has conceded that London can have an exemption to the Overseas quota next year ?

The ownership and management of the club, is there any sign that this will change ?

Posting as a Season Ticket holder at London Broncos the only way I would renew for next season would be if there was a competitive XIII on the field with a reasonable chance of avoiding the cut down to 12 and if there was new management - not just new money but a whole new approach and I am sure I am not alone in this. Extending the club's time on life support for another season just to make up the numbers simply will not cut it.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 01 September 2013 - 08:16 AM.

• EastLondonMike likes this

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#373 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

I think the rent was double that IIRC Chronicler.

You could well be right. There were a lot of figures floating around at the time.

#374 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

I'm not quite sure why everyone assumes that all clubs will blow all their money on players. History has shown that lots of clubs have done that, and Gary Hetherington has often talked about the poor management at some clubs, but it doesn't have to be the way. In rugby league the salary cap and the relatively low costs mean that almost any club that is run well and managed within its means can get to the top. But not if clubs want to try and take a short cut.

History shows if you don't win matches your paying fan base reduces. Mr. Sadler states relegation will likely mean financial disaster for clubs who go down and so money has to be spent on players??

Gary Hetherington of course runs an excellent ship, but he was at Eagles for many years so why did they never attract 10,000 gates and produce professionals like Leeds do??

The salary cap and relatively low costs are true, but the other side of that coin is relatively low crowds.

It's easy to see how the SL clubs run their businesses, they chase the best stadium they can, they market as best they can, they run academies - the standards in the licensing system push this, but if the crowds don't come then there's a shortfall.

Decent businessmen leading clubs have one after another stood up and said they are doing what they can but they are short of £400K, £500K or whatever and that they lack customers.

In the real world they would just close down. In not closing down they can face decline and administration that would not happen in the real world. But Footy clubs are different. There's a massive public demand for them to survive, but not that massive a public demand to go pay through the turnstiles.

#375 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hive Buzz - Barnet FC planning application rejected

http://www.harrowobs...16451-33807763/

Poor Floodlighting possibly not up to SKY Broadcast standards and the objections of residents could prove an obstacle to a sport which may well be playing on a Thursday / Monday shift next summer. No mention in the local papers or Barnet FC fan forums of London Broncos either.,

Would the club Stoop to using one of the grounds it has already played at ?

Will there be any contracted players left who do not want away, will someone in management front up to the players and let them know what's going on,  and just what has 1eague3 been doing for the subs the "unions" members are paying.?

Will the big announcement Tony Rea talks about be made to him by Mr Hughes in a repriese of the most expensive Curry night in history in Brick Lane back in 2001. Perhaps this time with a less expensive outcome . Maybe Gus will organise it - he likes a curry evening..

Will the Backroom staff whose contracts expire at the end of this month be told ?

Or will the old Horses head simply expire in its sleep come 1st October. Perhaps this Media silence in a sport which has more leaks than Thames Water is a sign the club's final demise is scheduled for a good day to bury bad news ?

Who knows, I am not a club insider as some on the internet claim to be - 0% chance of that....

Maybe all will be revealed as a beaming Tony Rea and David Hughes flank French resident Peter Holmes A'Court as the dinkum London Rabbitohs is unveiled. ;)

Whatever it is I thnk we should be told.....

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

#376 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

History shows if you don't win matches your paying fan base reduces. Mr. Sadler states relegation will likely mean financial disaster for clubs who go down and so money has to be spent on players??

Gary Hetherington of course runs an excellent ship, but he was at Eagles for many years so why did they never attract 10,000 gates and produce professionals like Leeds do??

The salary cap and relatively low costs are true, but the other side of that coin is relatively low crowds.

It's easy to see how the SL clubs run their businesses, they chase the best stadium they can, they market as best they can, they run academies - the standards in the licensing system push this, but if the crowds don't come then there's a shortfall.

Decent businessmen leading clubs have one after another stood up and said they are doing what they can but they are short of £400K, £500K or whatever and that they lack customers.

In the real world they would just close down. In not closing down they can face decline and administration that would not happen in the real world. But Footy clubs are different. There's a massive public demand for them to survive, but not that massive a public demand to go pay through the turnstiles.

Interesting listening to Eorl Crabtree the other day talking about his time at the Giants. He said it used to be a shambles, but year on year for the last 7-8 years it has got more and more professional. He said it used to be a terrible place to be. That's what running a club properly is about, year on year growth, not boom & bust on a budget. Far too often, owners of clubs without the finance want to move too far forward too fast, rather than build a solid basis to move forward in a sustainable way.

#377 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Featherstone, simple as that!

Good team, good ground, good fans!!!

• Ponterover likes this

#378 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

More reading of the runes through Tommy Lee

London Broncos letting the contracted Tommy Lee go to join Marvellous Marwan's Red Revolution leaves two points unanswered.

If you have a contracted player and another club wants him surely you get a transfer fee. yet Tommy "for personal reasons" has been released from his contract for nothing to join the Red Devils.

Equally if you were buliding a squad to compete in Super League next year then you would move "heaven and earth" a mutch overused phrase in RL circles, to keep him at the club, Particularily as he was the club's Player of the Year (POTY).

Good luck to Tommy BTW.

However to let your POTY go for nothing is significant is it not.

Try to think about the above logically and it does point to a club shuffling towards the exit. 

IMO  there is a 75% chance London Broncos will pull the plug next week which wil be the most opportune time to go. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users