Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who should replace London Broncos in Superleague 2014 ?

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,155 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Or try to support 30 odd clubs that between them lose several millions per year.

Thank God nobody suggested that they should.

#22 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,111 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

Where did this information come from?

From someone (a Leeds fan) who watched the game, and a letter in LE about refereeing standards. Are you really saying Dave that refs don't favour SL sides when they play Championship sides in cup-ties? Because if you believe that you'll believe anything.  I've seen it countless times, at Fev and in the occasional televised tie.  In fact as I posted recently, the only time I've ever seen a player sinned-binned for "persistent off-side" was in a cup tie between Fev and Leeds.  Even last year when in the end Fev were fairly beaten by Wigan, Tomkins clearly knocked on under his own posts and the officials ignored it and penalised Fev for some unknown misdemeanor on the next tackle.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#23 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,155 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

On the question of the magic weekend, the RFL should invite either Toulouse or a well placed CC side e.g. Fev or Sheff. All games should be done by lots, no derbies, no seeding. That way although one side gets a "soft game", nobody is intentionally advantaged or disadvantaged.

#24 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

From someone (a Leeds fan) who watched the game, and a letter in LE about refereeing standards. Are you really saying Dave that refs don't favour SL sides when they play Championship sides in cup-ties? Because if you believe that you'll believe anything. I've seen it countless times, at Fev and in the occasional televised tie. In fact as I posted recently, the only time I've ever seen a player sinned-binned for "persistent off-side" was in a cup tie between Fev and Leeds. Even last year when in the end Fev were fairly beaten by Wigan, Tomkins clearly knocked on under his own posts and the officials ignored it and penalised Fev for some unknown misdemeanor on the next tackle.

So you didn't watch the game yourself?

As it happens, I did and what I can tell you is that Sheffield couldn't retain possession and continually gifted London field position.

It took a while for London to capitalise as the Eagles did actually defend reasonably well but, once they did, it was game over.

The ref was fine.

#25 eddo

eddo
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

What is it with Toulouse , they had relegation exemption for 2 seasons, left  bottom of the league and have an average stadium. Championship ! for them to start again.

#26 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,135 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

London broncos but properly capitalised and with access to a decent playing base

It's been considered amongst SL chairmen as Neil Hudgell came out a year or so back and said that the RFL may do this. Then as the financial situation bit Mr. Wood came out and said they could not do this.

Whether this was purely financial IMHO I doubt it, because as Mr. Sadler intimated several SL chairmen were happy to let Bradford go to the wall to get a bigger slice of the pie. As Padge intimates there's no forward planning just a grab for the biggest slice of a small cake.

The reality IMHO is Toulouse fit the bill exactly and in answer to the question above, Toulouse say that the French money people will only back an SL club not a second tier club.

For those wishing London's demise, the removal of a professional club from an area and the effect is has on people wanting to play and watch the game has many precedents in places like Workington, Gateshead, Oldham, South Wales, Sheffield, Paris etc. there's no reason RL in London won't go into a similar demise unless someone has any logic or reasoning to suggest the reverse?

Edited by The Parksider, 19 August 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#27 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

How about a London team (ran by the RFL) based on their young lads playing out the year on the road at low cost grounds like Hemel/Skolars/Oxford?

Very good idea

#28 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

If there is no London Broncos franchise I think the RFL are going to have to look to fund a 14th team as a stop-gap measure.  It's not like anybody will lose out by the Broncos away support not turning up.

I'd look to the model of the Unicorns that have been dicking around in the 40 over cricket league.

Like I say, just for 1 season until everything is sorted from 2015 onwards.

No chance what so ever of the RFL funding a new Super League club.

#29 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

No chance what so ever of the RFL funding a new Super League club.

Just a stop gap not a long term commitment.

Sarginson's off to Wigan on a 5 year contract according to Chuckles Chris Irvine by the way.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#30 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Just a stop gap not a long term commitment.

Sarginson's off to Wigan on a 5 year contract according to Chuckles Chris Irvine by the way.

That would be a great move for the kid. 

#31 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

From someone (a Leeds fan) who watched the game, and a letter in LE about refereeing standards. Are you really saying Dave that refs don't favour SL sides when they play Championship sides in cup-ties? Because if you believe that you'll believe anything.  I've seen it countless times, at Fev and in the occasional televised tie.  In fact as I posted recently, the only time I've ever seen a player sinned-binned for "persistent off-side" was in a cup tie between Fev and Leeds.  Even last year when in the end Fev were fairly beaten by Wigan, Tomkins clearly knocked on under his own posts and the officials ignored it and penalised Fev for some unknown misdemeanor on the next tackle.

Or perhaps it could be that the part-time players fatigue easier and hence lay on at the tackle or spoil more to try and even the game up against SL sides. This has happened for as long as anyone can remember. It is up to referees to referee what they see not to 'even things up' based on who is playing who. You will have also seen London get cained in the penalty count against Wigan in the semi-final no doubt. The referee obviously had been given different instructions that day - not to favour London.

The fact that you didn't watch the game means you will not have seen Sheffield hardly completing a set of six.

Edited by Scubby, 19 August 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#32 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

So you didn't watch the game yourself?

As it happens, I did and what I can tell you is that Sheffield couldn't retain possession and continually gifted London field position.

It took a while for London to capitalise as the Eagles did actually defend reasonably well but, once they did, it was game over.

The ref was fine.

Fine ?

They admitted several errors on Twitter the following Tuesday, all of which went London's way.

(Tommy Lee ball steal just before half time, Scott Turner disallowed try, knock on that the VR missed .......)

Maybe not enough to turn the game but to suggest that this was a great performance by the referee is a minority opinion.  It doesn't seem to be held by the referees themselves.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#33 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

It was no worse than any players performance

At least the ref didn't miss a tackle or knock on once

#34 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

It was no worse than any players performance

At least the ref didn't miss a tackle or knock on once

That doesn't make his performance "fine".  Neither does the fact that the better team won make his performance "fine".

I see this comment about referees not missing tackles or knocks on (he missed a few of those actually).

He's not there to make tackles or carry the ball, is he ?  He's there to watch the game and blow his whistle.  I doubt if he'll be talking to his mates in the pub in a few years time saying "Hey, remember that great game I had at the old DVS back in 2013 ?".

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#35 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

I agree London don't look like they'll be around next year. They are losing 8-9 players (so far) and have no announced any new players coming into the club. From what Craig Gower has said in the press, it doesn't seem like the coaching staff and management care anymore whether they win or lose.

I think bringing in Toulouse for 2014 would be a mistake at this late stage. I would allow the winning CC club this season to be promoted, and tell Toulouse now that they are in for 2015, at the expense of the bottom-placed club next year. It is most definitely a stop-gap solution, and would mean a lower-standard league next year with no London team either. But from 2015 the league will be very strong.

This solution helps bring in Toulouse with plenty of time to prepare, allow P&R- keeping those CC followers happy. And if the CC club can survive next year, Then good luck to them.

As for London, the best solution may be to start 3-4 London based Championship 1 clubs in the Broncos place, and allow them to slowly build from the bottom up. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

I agree London don't look like they'll be around next year. They are losing 8-9 players (so far) and have no announced any new players coming into the club. From what Craig Gower has said in the press, it doesn't seem like the coaching staff and management care anymore whether they win or lose.

I think bringing in Toulouse for 2014 would be a mistake at this late stage. I would allow the winning CC club this season to be promoted, and tell Toulouse now that they are in for 2015, at the expense of the bottom-placed club next year. It is most definitely a stop-gap solution, and would mean a lower-standard league next year with no London team either. But from 2015 the league will be very strong.

This solution helps bring in Toulouse with plenty of time to prepare, allow P&R- keeping those CC followers happy. And if the CC club can survive next year, Then good luck to them.

As for London, the best solution may be to start 3-4 London based Championship 1 clubs in the Broncos place, and allow them to slowly build from the bottom up. 

Some good ideas there.

London do appear to have hit the wall and it looks increasing like something needs to be done to find a replacement for 2014.

My only reservation with elevating a championship club is who do you pick?  As the system stands, none of them have had the opportunity to build a team capable of making the step up.  No one can seriously think that whoever is selected will survive with their current squads and they are all in the middle of signing up next year's squads, on a part time basis.

If London do go belly up, I think the only viable solution is to run with 13 clubs next year and have a Championship all stars team take their place at Magic.

As for what happens after London implode, I really like the idea of starting 3 or 4 C1 clubs in the capital.  It will be a great opportunity to start some local rivalries and start building a capital wide following for the game.

I'd also go nowhere near the word "London".  If you look at soccer, not one team uses the word, and in RU, London is secondary to such as Irish, Welsh etc.  I'd find a suitable area of London and name the team after that e.g. Westminster Storm, Harringay Rovers etc

#37 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

Some good ideas there.

London do appear to have hit the wall and it looks increasing like something needs to be done to find a replacement for 2014.

My only reservation with elevating a championship club is who do you pick?  As the system stands, none of them have had the opportunity to build a team capable of making the step up.  No one can seriously think that whoever is selected will survive with their current squads and they are all in the middle of signing up next year's squads, on a part time basis.

If London do go belly up, I think the only viable solution is to run with 13 clubs next year and have a Championship all stars team take their place at Magic.

As for what happens after London implode, I really like the idea of starting 3 or 4 C1 clubs in the capital.  It will be a great opportunity to start some local rivalries and start building a capital wide following for the game.

I'd also go nowhere near the word "London".  If you look at soccer, not one team uses the word, and in RU, London is secondary to such as Irish, Welsh etc.  I'd find a suitable area of London and name the team after that e.g. Westminster Storm, Harringay Rovers etc

While I agree the promoted Championship team would have little time to prepare, these are the odds it would face anyway if P&R is brought back permanently. This way would allow the RFL to 'trial' a return to P&R for a season without committing to it permanently. The winning championship club will get it's shot at the big time, and Toulouse get in the comp in 2014 with good preparation. While I think they Championship team would struggle to be competitive, the destiny would be in their own hands, and if they are relegated at season's end, at least they've had their shot.

The important thing would be to announce it now. That would create great interest in this seasons Championship, and with 10 teams still in contention for a top-6 place, every team will have something to play for.

As for London, the Championship 1 is a relatively low-cost option for developing the game in London, so if they can get 3-4 teams down here they could survive of smallish crowds initially. I think an Acton-Shepherd's Bush based team is a must. There is a good core of Aussies and Kiwis here that would support the team- perhaps not enough for a SL team, but certainly a Championship 1 team.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Talk on the London forum on RLfans that a West Yorkshire club has been lined up to take our SL place next season if we don't carry on.

#39 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

While I agree the promoted Championship team would have little time to prepare, these are the odds it would face anyway if P&R is brought back permanently. This way would allow the RFL to 'trial' a return to P&R for a season without committing to it permanently. The winning championship club will get it's shot at the big time, and Toulouse get in the comp in 2014 with good preparation. While I think they Championship team would struggle to be competitive, the destiny would be in their own hands, and if they are relegated at season's end, at least they've had their shot.

The important thing would be to announce it now. That would create great interest in this seasons Championship, and with 10 teams still in contention for a top-6 place, every team will have something to play for.

As for London, the Championship 1 is a relatively low-cost option for developing the game in London, so if they can get 3-4 teams down here they could survive of smallish crowds initially. I think an Acton-Shepherd's Bush based team is a must. There is a good core of Aussies and Kiwis here that would support the team- perhaps not enough for a SL team, but certainly a Championship 1 team.

The thing is that currently, the championship clubs are stuck with a £300,000 salary cap.  Whereas in 2015, they will have an as yet undisclosed larger cap (to allow those teams that are able to, to go full (ish) time).

It wouldn't really be a trial of P&R as the two systems would be completely different.

#40 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Talk on the London forum on RLfans that a West Yorkshire club has been lined up to take our SL place next season if we don't carry on.

So that's Fev or Halifax.

There have been rumblings about going full time next year, but I'd dismissed them as there has been no announcement about an increase in cap.

If it's Fev, it would certainly explain rumours like letting Finn go to Halifax with a year left on his contract with us. (he'd not want to go full time, he has a well paid "real" job)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users