League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who should replace London Broncos in Superleague 2014 ?

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#41 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

Talk on the London forum on RLfans that a West Yorkshire club has been lined up to take our SL place next season if we don't carry on.

hopefully broncos stay in super league but if the unthinkable happened then leigh should replace them..........i am sick of the yawkshure bias in RL
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#42 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

The thing is that currently, the championship clubs are stuck with a £300,000 salary cap. Whereas in 2015, they will have an as yet undisclosed larger cap (to allow those teams that are able to, to go full (ish) time).

It wouldn't really be a trial of P&R as the two systems would be completely different.

Despite having a larger salary cap, letting Fev or Halifax or any Championship club in at this stage would lead to a comfortable bottom placed finish if they replaced London at this stage.

There just isn't any quality players a CC club could sign to compete. Look at all the other clubs they started recruiting for next season months ago.

#43 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Despite having a larger salary cap, letting Fev or Halifax or any Championship club in at this stage would lead to a comfortable bottom placed finish if they replaced London at this stage.

There just isn't any quality players a CC club could sign to compete. Look at all the other clubs they started recruiting for next season months ago.

Kieran Dixon, Tony Clubb, Dan Sargison, Mark Bryant ...... this can quickly take us back to the happy days of 'relegation supermarket sweep' . Remember the likes of Gray Viane leaving the relegated club to join another cellar dweller 3/4 years in a row.

#44 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

hopefully broncos stay in super league but if the unthinkable happened then leigh should replace them..........i am sick of the yawkshure bias in RL

Hardly bias. Leigh would be an excellent candidate if they were a better side on the field.

#45 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't going to relegate two sides (minimum) next year as we go from 14 teams to 12. I'm all for giving the replaced side a one season exception from relegation and relegate the sides that finish 12th and 13th.

#46 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't going to relegate two sides (minimum) next year as we go from 14 teams to 12. I'm all for giving the replaced side a one season exception from relegation and relegate the sides that finish 12th and 13th.

That would be more reasonable. Personally however, I hope London stay and have a more successful year next year.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#47 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

That would be more reasonable. Personally however, I hope London stay and have a more successful year next year.

If they are going to stay then they need to sign a new team and fast. Most of their decent and semi-decent 2013 squad have left. They cannot hope to compete with what is left.

#48 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Talk on the London forum on RLfans that a West Yorkshire club has been lined up to take our SL place next season if we don't carry on.

I hope If or who takes London place is debt free. It wouldn't be a good thing to go inti Super League already in debt.

#49 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

This game is in serious trouble if a team from the capital of England is replaced by a team from a run down pit village.

Edited by markleeds, 19 August 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#50 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

This game is in serious trouble if a team from the capital of England is replaced by a team from a run down pit village.

That run down pit village your referring to as better attendance averages than some SL clubs. It will have a centre of excellence in no time which not all SL clubs have. It also as a wealthy backer which some SL clubs don't have. It is also upgrading its ground which some SL clubs grounds haven't been upgraded since WW2. Need I go on to curb your arrogance towards a pit village team?.But as for London I hope they stay in SL and can get through this crisis.

Edited by thundergaz, 19 August 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#51 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

That run down pit village your referring to as better attendance averages than some SL clubs. It will have a centre of excellence in no time which not all SL clubs have. It also as a wealthy backer which some SL clubs don't have. It is also upgrading its ground which some SL clubs grounds haven't been upgraded since WW2. Need I go on to curb your arrogance towards a pit village team?.But as for London I hope they stay in SL and can get through this crisis.

This

#52 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

I think the RFL want London out of Super League. Its as simple as that. If the RFL can't get a decent sponsor now for Super League heavens knows whats going to happen as we retreat to out heartlands on the M62 corridor. Our best bet could be a fracking company.

#53 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

A run down pit village team that so often embarrassed the so called big guns and indeed will do so again. Sorry to disappoint you but elitism in a minority sport like RL was never going to work. Get used to the idea.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 19 August 2013 - 10:14 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#54 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

You could say it's merely a return to the status quo ante bellum. London were artificially placed in SL from it's inception. They have been given a good long run to make it and, unfortunately have not succeeded.

I don't think London are regarded as a big ratings draw by Sky. They  might well get more mileage from hyping the David v Goliath aspect of the smallest village in England with a pro team versus the Man United, Arsenal like giants of Wigan, Leeds et al that could be marketed should Fev get a SL spot in London's place.

I don't think the game would be in serious trouble at all. In fact the development of a healthy rivalry between Skolars, Broncos, Hemel and even Oxford might do more to promote the strength of the game in the south East and, with p and r back on the table, lead to one or more of those teams graduating to SL on merit this time when they are ready to step up..

#55 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

As for London, the best solution may be to start 3-4 London based Championship 1 clubs in the Broncos place, and allow them to slowly build from the bottom up. 

Another still peddling the myth that RL clubs grow from the bottom up. There's a long long history of them not growing from the bottom up going back decades. Outside SL none of them get the crowds, the money, the decent players or the interest, so how do you come up with this growth thing? Reality is large injections of capital create growth but only if large enough.

If you think otherwise let me know the clubs who crew from little acorns to great oaks....

#56 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,949 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

I may have missed something but who with any official power and authority says London will not be there next season?

I realise that the naysayers would like them to go as part of a master plan to see rugby league restored to its former glory where every northern town club attracted 30000 gates, we always beat Australia by 100 points and all players were active pitmen and the salt of the earth. But if you'd stumped up millions to keep the club going, would you yield to a bunch of northern isolationists?

#57 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:52 AM

That run down pit village your referring to as better attendance averages than some SL clubs. It also as a wealthy backer

And if it didn't it could easily still be in CC1.

#58 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

And if it didn't it could easily still be in CC1.

My post was to curb the arrogance of another post and yes we easily could and probably would but the same could also be said for some SL clubs too.

Edited by thundergaz, 20 August 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#59 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Statistical note (league games only):

Fev's average attendance this season with one game to go: 2404 (one under 2000).

Bronco's average with programme completed: 2213 (six under 2000).

#60 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

I'm just trying to think which grounds haven't been upgraded since WW2.

Ah Gaz - you're the Master of Hyperbole. ^_^

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users