TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Should a super league get him before the Titans do?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

http://www.courierma...r-1226700013668

#2 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

Only a couple of English Clubs could afford him.

He will be  offered an NRL deal in some capacity or promise for the future.

Edited by AndyCapp, 19 August 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#3 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Would be a good fit for London, or Wigan if Wane's side implodes further. Would rather see him mentoring a good young British coach though
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#4 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

That's the first i've seen this. As a Titans fan who thinks Cartwright is incompetent, I'd be very happy to see Henry there, especially if he becomes the head-coach, and Cartwright the assistant in the long run (or Carty is booted alltogether  :biggrin: )

Edited by goldcoaster, 19 August 2013 - 12:16 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Would be a good fit for London, or Wigan if Wane's side implodes further. Would rather see him mentoring a good young British coach though

I don't get by what you mean if 'Wanes side implodes further.'

They're in a cup final and are still in the top 3. Without Tomkins I'd say Wigan on paper have the 7th best side in the league. He's doing a great job.

#6 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

They're in a cup final and are still in the top 3. Without Tomkins I'd say Wigan on paper have the 7th best side in the league. He's doing a great job.

I sort of agree with that, if not 7th. They're greater than the sum of their parts for sure, so I'd say that's credit to the coach. I like Wane. He comes across really well, and there's no doubt he can put passion into a team. Very similar to Karl Harrison in that respect.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#7 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

They started very well last year and ended up with just the hubcap, if they lose on Saturday I'd suggest he needs the play-offs to go better than last year. If the squad is that weak, does that not suggest some of the recruitment of Wane (and the board) has been poor. So, his record at the business end of the season is questionable, he has made some shocking decisions to rest players that have cost them derby matches and his recruitment record is at best unproven. Lenagan will act if he doesn't see a coach that will over-achieve with the 7th best squad in the league. 

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

They started very well last year and ended up with just the hubcap, if they lose on Saturday I'd suggest he needs the play-offs to go better than last year. If the squad is that weak, does that not suggest some of the recruitment of Wane (and the board) has been poor. So, his record at the business end of the season is questionable, he has made some shocking decisions to rest players that have cost them derby matches and his recruitment record is at best unproven. Lenagan will act if he doesn't see a coach that will over-achieve with the 7th best squad in the league.

Look who they have lost in the last couple of seasons:

Jeff Lima, Brett Finch, Tommy Leuleuai, Ryan Hoffman, Gareth Hock, George Carmont, Paul Prescott.

Replacing all that talent is going to be a very hard job. Some signings have been questionable, Lauaki is one which springs to mind. But I don't think they could find half backs in SL to replace the quality they had. Wane has also had to deal with Tomkins and O Loughlin being injured a lot of the time which is an issue when they are lacking quality in their squad.

At the start of the season I predicted Wigan to finish fifth, so they're doing better than I expected. With Tomkins potentially leaving, Richards and Mossop off to the NRL I don't think next season is going to be a much easier task for Wane. To challenge next season they need to sign 6 or 7 quality players to compete at the top end of the market.

Blooding Hampshire, Tierney, Williams ect will lead to some brilliant moments, but they're to young and need some experience and leadership which I don't see a lot of in Wigans side apart from Tomkins and O Loughlin.

A new coach won't solve Wigans problems IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users