League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where would Wigan, Warrington Huddersfield fininsh in the NRL realistically?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Big Red Keev

Big Red Keev
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

We will soon find out just where we sit in the international pecking order after the World Cup. Just wondered what people thought our top clubs chances would be given a full season in the NRL?

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

We will soon find out just where we sit in the international pecking order after the World Cup. Just wondered what people thought our top clubs chances would be given a full season in the NRL?

Based in Oz full time - Around 5th-10th.

Flying over every 2 weeks - Bottom 3.

Posted Image

#3 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

This year's NRL appears to be a pretty low standard. My club the titans are sitting in the 8, and have been woeful this season.

I would say all 3 would comfortably make the top 8, Hudds probably would make the top 4, and Wire would have pushed too. Wigan's injury problems probably would have meant a top 8 finish only.

Some NRL clubs are pretty shocking, considering they spend double what SL clubs do in terms of players salaries. There has been some lopsided scores too. Tigers losing by over 50 this morning, Raiders losing by near-70 the other week, Eels losing by plenty just about every week. I think the NRL has dropped dramatically this year, while SL has gotten better. I think the gap between the 2 comps is closer than ever at the moment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

FACT!

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#5 Big Red Keev

Big Red Keev
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

This year's NRL appears to be a pretty low standard. My club the titans are sitting in the 8, and have been woeful this season.

I would say all 3 would comfortably make the top 8, Hudds probably would make the top 4, and Wire would have pushed too. Wigan's injury problems probably would have meant a top 8 finish only.

Some NRL clubs are pretty shocking, considering they spend double what SL clubs do in terms of players salaries. There has been some lopsided scores too. Tigers losing by over 50 this morning, Raiders losing by near-70 the other week, Eels losing by plenty just about every week. I think the NRL has dropped dramatically this year, while SL has gotten better. I think the gap between the 2 comps is closer than ever at the moment.

Thats quite interesting then. Ive only really caught Souths games this year (Really only to see how the Burges quadrupelets were going) but I havent really got the impression of any drop in standards, although you have obviuosly seen far more than me.

#6 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

Heresy Goldcoaster!

Even a well coached England team would finish bottom of the NRL, it's that good!

#7 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

Heresy Goldcoaster!

Even a well coached England team would finish bottom of the NRL, it's that good!

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

I think that all clubs would need to recruit a fair few players to be pushing for the top, the players and styles that they have are for a certain type of style and I think they would take a bit of time to adapt to the NRL style.

I've watched more NRL than ever this year due to the excellent Premier Sports, and I do find much of it to be conservative play, with some great skills thrown in - much more safety first than SL.

Warrington have the best attack in Super League, but then they make 15 errors a game. I'm not sure that would work well for them in the NRL. Similarly I think players like Riley would struggle in the NRL against some of the bigger wingers. 

With current teams, I think all three clubs would struggle to adapt to the style of the NRL and would need to rectruit maybe 5 players each to change the shape of their team.

#9 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

While clubs like Melbourne, Souths and Manly are world class sides, there is no way team's like Parra, Tigers, St George or the Titans are more dominant than the top 8 Super League sides.

Games like Souths-Manly on Friday were quality, but they aren't as common as they used to be, with too many lopsided scorelines. Most pundits down under agree that this NRL season has seen a drop in standards accross the board. I still think the NRL is better than SL, partly due to teams like Souths and Melbourne, but mainly due to the money involved compared to SL. But considering the (lack of) money in SL and the dominance of other sport in this country, fans should be very proud of the Super League- it's a quality competition (and no, I don't smoke funny stuff :tongue: ).

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

I think people are being a bit generous towards the SL clubs here. I think as they currently are Hudds, Wigan and Wire probably wouldn't be able to finish any higher than 7th or so in the NRL. I think if you look at a team like Newcastle they have significantly more quality throughout their side than any club in SL.

#11 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

I think that all clubs would need to recruit a fair few players to be pushing for the top, the players and styles that they have are for a certain type of style and I think they would take a bit of time to adapt to the NRL style.

I've watched more NRL than ever this year due to the excellent Premier Sports, and I do find much of it to be conservative play, with some great skills thrown in - much more safety first than SL.

Warrington have the best attack in Super League, but then they make 15 errors a game. I'm not sure that would work well for them in the NRL. Similarly I think players like Riley would struggle in the NRL against some of the bigger wingers. 

With current teams, I think all three clubs would struggle to adapt to the style of the NRL and would need to rectruit maybe 5 players each to change the shape of their team.

I think that's a very fair assessment.

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

the standard of the NRL has steadily dropped over the past few years,personally i think its down to the NYC comp...

where would our top 3 finish?? in their top 8 i reckon

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#13 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Any SL club playing in the NRL every week would have to change their style of play. The lying on and messing around at the PTB which is prevalent in SL would see our teams penalised out of the game every week.

The other major factor that I think would see most SL teams finish in the bottom half of the NRL league would be our lack of experience at playing at a higher intensity week in week out. NRL coaches teach their players to drive the opposition back in the tackle and knock them on the floor. For some reason SL coaches seem to coach our tacklers to 'bear hug' the opposition and then wrestle them to the ground or hold them up.

I think it would a good 2-3 seasons before SL teams start to adapt and can really challenge the top NRL teams week in week out.

#14 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

What tosh.

#15 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

NRL clubs are too good. You'd be lucky to see one of Wigan, Warrington or Huddersfield finish in the top 8 of the NRL this year.

The week-in-week-out intensity of the NRL is too much. All the English boys in the NRL say the same. Why would Graham, Ellis, Burgess etc state as much if they didn't notice a huge difference?

You look at the quality of the teams outside the 8 in the NRL and it's unbelievable. The Warriors went on a great run a few weeks back but at the front end of the season were going ###### and have lost a few games now, sitting down at 13. Below them you have the Dragons, who while have been going bad, aren't necessarily the worst team on paper. The bottom half of the NRL could bang with just about anybody in SL.

TBH I just don't see how anybody could think that almost half, more than a third of the top 8 spots in the NRL could be taken by SL teams if they joined the comp.

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

If SL clubs were exposed to the same level of intensity as the NRL,I'm sure our top 3 would give very good accounts of themselves.i don't buy into the Aussie "supermen" myth  that many fall for.

#17 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

People go on about the intensity of the NRL, yet I haven't seen an Englishman go over their and struggle. Luke Burgess could barely get into the Leeds side and he flourished in the NRL.

The standard of the all round competition is much better than SL that's obvious, the bottom 5 of the NRL would destroy the bottom 5 of SL. But Wigan, Wire, Huddersfield, Leeds and maybe Hull if they managed to play consistently would go absolutely fine in the NRL. They wouldn't go top of the pile obviously, Souths and Manly have far to many world class players in their ranks and Melbourne have 3 of the best 4 players in the world in the most vital positions which make them a force SL sides can't compete with.

The teams I said would finish anywhere between 4th and 14th in the NRL. As Dave T suggests some players would have to be removed from squads and be replaced as they physically won't be upto it in the NRL, Riley is a great example. Also the players who get carried by their team mates (I think Leeds have a few of these, as do Wigan) would need to either improve or step up as they will probably get exposed in the NRL.

Wholesale changes to style of play won't be needed. It'll take half a season to adjust to the style of refereeing, it's the same game just interpreted slightly differently, it won't be hard for the players to adapt.

#18 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Struggling to reach play offs
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#19 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

If SL clubs were exposed to the same level of intensity as the NRL,I'm sure our top 3 would give very good accounts of themselves.i don't buy into the Aussie "supermen" myth  that many fall for.

I don't think this 'Aussie supermen myth' is even a real thing. There are just a group of posters on this board who get mega defensive whenever anyone dares to mention the NRL's obvious superiority.

#20 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

I don't think this 'Aussie supermen myth' is even a real thing. There are just a group of posters on this board who get mega defensive whenever anyone dares to mention the NRL's obvious superiority.

Is it that obvious though.As barrowraiderskid has stated,a player who was on the fringes at Leeds is tearing it up in the NRL,doesn't seem that superior to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users