Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where would Wigan, Warrington Huddersfield fininsh in the NRL realistically?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

If SL clubs were exposed to the same level of intensity as the NRL,I'm sure our top 3 would give very good accounts of themselves.i don't buy into the Aussie "supermen" myth  that many fall for.

Then why keep on repeating that same theme each time a thread mentions anything to do with the Nrl as opposed to S/L, or for that matter, whenever comparisons are made concerning anything at all to do with S/Hemi players at all? 

There is, on my part absolutely no regard towards Antipodeans being rated anywhere close to being supermen when they enter onto a R/L field to play. What is apparent especially to anyone willing to take off their blinkers, is that in the NRL the game has been taken a very fair level beyond what S/L, in the main, is capable of producing, that is on a regular (weekly?) basis.

You may state that so many of them come here and do not always perform any better than our own, or even do worse!

What I do contend is, that is evidently correct in a good deal of cases but is that as much to do with the poorer less accepted standards of our competition as a whole, as much as it is those players that do not fit in. The system they are accustomed to is nowhere to be seen and they struggle to adapt to the new? 

Over there no one keeps their place on reputation and the tenor of play is such that everyone is much mopre part of a unit. They do seem to take the concept of the whole being better than individuals more seriously, why, I cannot say but watching their NRL as I do I find these are items that seem to matter more there, than here and that taking our very top lads out of the equasion ( who are equally as SUPER as any NRL supermen too) our teams are made up more of less than capable players who would not be entertained in the NRL at all.

There have been more poor games in the NRL this season, with that I would agree, yet even in a good deal of those there is often less easy scoring and they also seem to maintain more determination within the games than we have here. I personally have grown so disenchanted with the S/L ( not alone at all in that either) That I will not be paying ssky for it next season and will take only the NRL from P/Ship, I will go to the pub and watch the games worthwhile in S/L and going off this season's games those will probably be few and far between. 

#22 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

If Wigan played in the NRL then Padge would probably concede that they were Fulltime.

#23 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Is it that obvious though.As barrowraiderskid has stated,a player who was on the fringes at Leeds is tearing it up in the NRL,doesn't seem that superior to me.

Luke Burgess is a bit of an anomaly in this regard and I'd challenge you to find more examples to back up your point. On the other hand, there are numerous examples of fringe NRL players coming to the Super League and excelling - Scott Dureau, Rangi Chase and Michael Dobson are a few that spring to mind.

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Then why keep on repeating that same theme each time a thread mentions anything to do with the Nrl as opposed to S/L, or for that matter, whenever comparisons are made concerning anything at all to do with S/Hemi players at all? 

There is, on my part absolutely no regard towards Antipodeans being rated anywhere close to being supermen when they enter onto a R/L field to play. What is apparent especially to anyone willing to take off their blinkers, is that in the NRL the game has been taken a very fair level beyond what S/L, in the main, is capable of producing, that is on a regular (weekly?) basis.

You may state that so many of them come here and do not always perform any better than our own, or even do worse!

What I do contend is, that is evidently correct in a good deal of cases but is that as much to do with the poorer less accepted standards of our competition as a whole, as much as it is those players that do not fit in. The system they are accustomed to is nowhere to be seen and they struggle to adapt to the new? 

Over there no one keeps their place on reputation and the tenor of play is such that everyone is much mopre part of a unit. They do seem to take the concept of the whole being better than individuals more seriously, why, I cannot say but watching their NRL as I do I find these are items that seem to matter more there, than here and that taking our very top lads out of the equasion ( who are equally as SUPER as any NRL supermen too) our teams are made up more of less than capable players who would not be entertained in the NRL at all.

There have been more poor games in the NRL this season, with that I would agree, yet even in a good deal of those there is often less easy scoring and they also seem to maintain more determination within the games than we have here. I personally have grown so disenchanted with the S/L ( not alone at all in that either) That I will not be paying ssky for it next season and will take only the NRL from P/Ship, I will go to the pub and watch the games worthwhile in S/L and going off this season's games those will probably be few and far between. 

I don't but I also don't fawn over the NRL as some do.we shall have to agree to disagree.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#25 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

and the week in week out intensity just is'nt there in the NRL anymore..gone are the days when it was a tough slog every week...highlighted by the number of "nillings" in the NRL this season...think we're on 11 or 12 so far....and then theres the roosters who are smashing every ###### team in the comp..i bet they are on for somekind of "points scored" record this year....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#26 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

If Wigan played in the NRL then Padge would probably concede that they were Fulltime.

:sarcastic:

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#27 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

We will soon find out just where we sit in the international pecking order after the World Cup. Just wondered what people thought our top clubs chances would be given a full season in the NRL?

Without caveats and based on today I'd say the Giants and the Rhinos would go ok with the rest down the bottom end.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#28 Gally

Gally
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

Luke Burgess is a bit of an anomaly in this regard and I'd challenge you to find more examples to back up your point. On the other hand, there are numerous examples of fringe NRL players coming to the Super League and excelling - Scott Dureau, Rangi Chase and Michael Dobson are a few that spring to mind.

Herein is the biggest difference between the two leagues imo

Of our best few teams, the majority of the side could be very useful in the NRL. The success of our forwards currently down under (and with a couple exceptions, mediocrity of Aussie forwards playing in SL) is evidence enough of that.

If you look at our half backs though, we see a completely different story. There's an enormous difference in the quality of your 6 and 7 for even the top SL clubs and what you find in the NRL. How many Aussie teams would take Smith and Green as a partnership?

#29 Rioman

Rioman
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

I returned from holiday in Oz yesterday, and whilst there watched two games, St George v Canterbury and last Fridays Souths v Manly.
Of the two games I saw the quality of the first was decidedly average, St George were very ordinary and were only kept in the game by a great performance from Josh Dugan at fullback. Canterbury were 'ok', the most damage being done by Pritchard and Kasiano in the forwards, two big boys. On that showing I'd say our top three could certainly mix it with those two no problem.

Souths v Manly was a completely different kettle of fish. On that showing I reckon our top three wouldn't have lived with them. Souths forwards went very well, the good news being that three of them are English, although Luke didn't seem to play many minutes probably as it was his first game back from injury. A really good game.

I saw plenty of other games/highlights on tv and certainly Paramatta and Wests wouldn't cause too many sleepless nights in Wigan, Huddersfield or Warrington on current form.

Hardly the most scientific of studies, I know, but I reckon our three would go ok and finish anywhere from 3rd to 9th

#30 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

Your correct but there are also examples of the same fringe players going back to the NRL after playing in SL and becoming stars, I think you mentioned one in Dobson who will turn a few heads next season.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#31 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:46 AM

George carmont

#32 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

Since when has Luke Burgess been tearing up the NRL? He is the ordinary one of the 4 brothers.

#33 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Since when has Luke Burgess been tearing up the NRL? He is the ordinary one of the 4 brothers.

Ordinary NRL standard or SL standard.

• CGD likes this
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#34 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

What people have to understand is that if Huddersfield, Wigan and Warrington were in the NRL then they would be able to pay the full salary cap of course. This would mean that key players rumoured to be leaving would be retained and other players would be added to bulk up the squad.

I agree with what has been said here - Wests, Parra etc. have been shocking this year and taken some real hammerings. We have seen numerous 50, 60, 70 point beatings across the season and quite a few nillings. I would say all 3 would sit between 10 and 5 comfortably.

#35 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

If Eddie and Stevo commentated on the NRL everyone would think it was rubbish

The biggest problem in people's perceptions of our game is the Sky team provide a very negative commentary where as generally the NRL just looks at the good stuff and ignores errors

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,773 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

If Eddie and Stevo commentated on the NRL everyone would think it was rubbish

The biggest problem in people's perceptions of our game is the Sky team provide a very negative commentary where as generally the NRL just looks at the good stuff and ignores errors

I don't think that's necessarily true, Eddie and Stevo get lambasted for going over the top in their praise in the commentary depending on who you listen to.

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,773 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

What people have to understand is that if Huddersfield, Wigan and Warrington were in the NRL then they would be able to pay the full salary cap of course. This would mean that key players rumoured to be leaving would be retained and other players would be added to bulk up the squad.

I agree with what has been said here - Wests, Parra etc. have been shocking this year and taken some real hammerings. We have seen numerous 50, 60, 70 point beatings across the season and quite a few nillings. I would say all 3 would sit between 10 and 5 comfortably.

This is a good point, these clubs would be able to invest heavily in additional players due to the larger salary caps.

#38 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

I don't think that's necessarily true, Eddie and Stevo get lambasted for going over the top in their praise in the commentary depending on who you listen to.

That's also part of the problem, they go mental about a team, or player, playing well when they patently aren't and then immediately switch to saying how bad an error the defending player or ref had just made

They are both enthusiastic without merit and damming to the point of insulting

The one thing the NRL has going for it is the commentary.

I'd love to see the same game with Sky, the NRL and the BBC providing commentary and see how much it alters people's view of the game

#39 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Are we allowed the same salary cap, and the same level of coaching and back room staff? If so, give it a couple of years and our top teams would go well. I think Wigan and Leeds would be best placed, as they have the best youth systems and so could more easily produce strength in depth, but if Scott Moore can get a run in the NRL, clearly the minimum standards are no higher.

#40 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Surely the point of this thread is to discuss how the actual current teams would fare against the current teams in the NRL?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users