Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The game of Aunt Sally and other traditional sports and events!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

The traditional game of Aunt Sally is played in pubs around the Midlands, and it seems once at fairgrounds. We are a nation full of weird and unusual events/games: cheese rolling, well dressing etc. What goes on around your neck of the woods?

Although declined somewhat in St Helens and once attracting huge turnouts, Billinge still holds its annual Walking Day Parade. Wigan folk undertake an annual trek up Winter Hill on Good Friday. I went some years back, where there was a fair to be enjoyed for those who made it.

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Is Aunt Sally the same as Cheese Skittles? That's a great game; I don't know anywhere in Yorkshire that has a table.

When i was a kid, plenty of pubs and clubs had a skittles alley or mat.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

There's a version of knur and spell in the Calder Valley, known as billets. As with a lot of these sports or games, gambling on the outcome was reportedly quite popular...

http://www.milltownm....uk/mm11/2.html

http://www.tradgames.../knur-spell.htm

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Is Aunt Sally the same as Cheese Skittles? That's a great game; I don't know anywhere in Yorkshire that has a table.

No, Aunt Sally is a game played outside, mainly in Oxfordshire and surrounding counties. See here.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

I remember road bowling being played in Co Cork when I was a kid. Cork and Armagh were strongholds of the sport. Again, there was lots of betting on it...

http://www.irishroad...ng.ie/index.htm

#6 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

No, Aunt Sally is a game played outside, mainly in Oxfordshire and surrounding counties. See here.

Researching the game, several internet sites did say it was now played in pubs! As it is something new to me, I can only say it as read.

#7 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

Researching the game, several internet sites did say it was now played in pubs! As it is something new to me, I can only say it as read.

When I was working in Abingdon I was invited to join the local pub team in the village where i had my digs. All the pubs in the locality that played it that I saw had their Aunt Sallys set up outside. If the pub was big enough it could be played inside, but I've never seen it (based on an admittedly small sample of half a dozen or so pubs).

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#8 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

When I was working in Abingdon I was invited to join the local pub team in the village where i had my digs. All the pubs in the locality that played it that I saw had their Aunt Sallys set up outside. If the pub was big enough it could be played inside, but I've never seen it (based on an admittedly small sample of half a dozen or so pubs).

There are some amusing stories of how the game originated. Perhaps a forum member partakes in one of the leagues? 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 19 August 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#9 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Out of interest, Protestants, Catholics and Methodists all walk together on Billinge Walking Day. 

#10 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

Table skittles. 9 pins on a table a "cheese" about4 inches in dia and an inch thick is thrown from about 5 feet away.
Lots of rural pubs around Coventry have them and there are still leagues playing.
Another game still played in the Coventry clubs is bagatelle .
The table s about the size of a pool table but has an oval at one end. There are two pockets and 9 numbered cups. You have to nominate where the target ball will end up after being struck by the cue ball. I have seen a variation where there are obstacles in the shape of upturned mushrooms.
My local club also has a form of bowls played on a snooker table with a jack and biased cue balls.
There are a few pubs around with 9 pin long alleys too.
The pubs in Barrow used to have dart boards with no trebles. I also remember the pubs in Nottingham had dartboards but the oche was only about 4 feet from the board.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

Piggy was a traditional local game in these parts.

In Todmorden maggot racing is a regular midweek pastime.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Out of interest, Protestants, Catholics and Methodists all walk together on Billinge Walking Day. 

They do in parts of Wigan, though it didn't used to be that way, each used to have its own day.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

IIRC Manchester area; Catholics walked on Whit Friday, C of E on Whit Sunday, Non conformist on Whit Monday. Piggy was also played in Swinton... As was rugby league at one time...and baseball, too.

Edited by JohnM, 20 August 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#14 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

IIRC Manchester area; Catholics walked on Whit Friday, C of E on Whit Sunday, Non conformist on Whit Monday. Piggy was also played in Swinton... As was rugby league at one time...and baseball, too.

That's because only protties had jobs, the left footers were all criminal scroungers and the nons were all retired money men :)

#15 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

We regularly hold a works games evening ( booze up) with darts, doms, and pool. People from the uncivilised south are very perplexed by double nine doms

#16 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

Piggy was a traditional local game in these parts.

In Todmorden maggot racing is a regular midweek pastime.

Only during the season.

Worm charming is also popular in Tod.

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,073 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

In the dementedly picturesque village of Hutton-le-Hole, there's a Merrills board up on the side of one of the buildings. It's a board game a bit like Nine Men's Morris.

P9048211.jpg

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#18 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

They do in parts of Wigan, though it didn't used to be that way, each used to have its own day.

My Auntie Lizzy, who lived in St Helens all her life, refused to speak to her daughter for 30 years because she married a Catholic. Only on her deathbed did she break her silence. Out of interest, do Wiganers still turnout in number to hike up Winter Hill in on Good Friday?

#19 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

My Auntie Lizzy, who lived in St Helens all her life, refused to speak to her daughter for 30 years because she married a Catholic. Only on her deathbed did she break her silence. Out of interest, do Wiganers still turnout in number to hike up Winter Hill in on Good Friday?

Not as many as used to do, but some still do it. The procession was to the top of Rivington Pike which is on Brown Hill, WInter Hill is the one with the TV mast on and is about 1.5 miles further on to the moors.

#20 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

You may be interested in this book, edited by our own Tony Collins: Encyclopedia of Traditional British Rural Sports

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users