TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

RL Challenge Cup Final, Hull FC v Wigan Warriors, 24/8/2013, KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

Poll: RL Cup Final Hull FC v Wigan Warriors (70 member(s) have cast votes)

The dream...who will you be cheering for?

1. Hull FC (42 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Wigan Warriors (15 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. Not bothered as long as it's a good game. (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

The reality...who do you think will win?

1. Hull FC (31 votes [44.29%])

Percentage of vote: 44.29%

2. Wigan Warriors (33 votes [47.14%])

Percentage of vote: 47.14%

3. The sport of RL as it'll be like1985 all over again. (6 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#381 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

That's a great boozer - isn't the owner a Saints fan? Enjoy the day and maybe head off to The Phil for one after to drown your sorrows. ;)

He is indeed a Saints fan but originally from Whitehaven, he also has quite a number of Saints players as regulars; there was one in there watching the match yesterday. He is also on Wilkin's testimonial committee and the pub hosted James Graham's leaving do.

We had a great afternoon, Dominic looked after us very well, reserving us seats with a great view of the TV and providing waitress service so we didn't have to leave our seats during the game. He also presented me with a half time pie in honor of me being the only Wiganer in the pub. :)

As for the game itself, not the the best, but as dire as some on here have made out, I don't think so. Some very tough defence from both sides in terrible conditions. It was a war of attrition. And I for one was happy at the end. :)

Hope those who made the trip down have had a good weekend whether your team won or lost and the rain didn't dampen the atmosphere too much. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#382 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Really Westhuller? I find that hard to believe, as from where I was standing among 10s of thousands of Wigan fans when we held up the trophy, there was nobody left at the FC end? Perhaps you're slow walkers?
We just need Lcokers and Mc and there'll be a full house any moment...

#383 koli

koli
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

I found the game absorbing.as others have pointed out Hull were in it until the 73rd minute.conditions were terrible and surely no one was expecting expansive attacking rugby ?
Hull's handling was very poor even allowing for the conditions but seemed to me less about the ball than Hull's nerve and composure.Wigan dropped a few but no more than you'd expect in the conditions.

#384 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Really Westhuller? I find that hard to believe, as from where I was standing among 10s of thousands of Wigan fans when we held up the trophy, there was nobody left at the FC end? Perhaps you're slow walkers?
We just need Lcokers and Mc and there'll be a full house any moment...

Seriously mate there was I couldn't believe it, I wasn't going to mention it as it might come across as sour grapes, back to the game see my first post Wigan deserved the win the played the conditions we didn't, Smith got the Mom but I thought Farrell was your best player on the pitch.

#385 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

If there were Wigan fans already outside when the Cup was "lifted"...both meanings! surprised there were many left inside. The phenomenal support was obviously absent again yesterday. They may be a good team...no more no less...but why claim support in numbers when they seem to pick and choose when to go.

The game was poor because Wigan are out of form...Tomkins was anonymous and Charnley , couldn't get into the game, Richards is no threat these days and there are too many young and old average players there now. Hulls defence was excellent but not overly challenged and too many players were playing under a cloud of fitness/injury. To say Hull have a great team for the future don't kid yourself. Ellis never makes a break and can only get worse....keep him well clear of the World Cup...Tickle going anyway but pedestrian...the Ogre average but going...Shaul very promising, as is Ben Crookes when fit, Houghton great as is Heremiah for 40, Briscoe has it but rarely performs now before leaving. Westerman penalty machine and poor, Miller poor needs a lot of experience, Holdsworth can perform but goes missing in too many games.Andy Lynch good, Yeaman a journeyman now and Watts, well,. Great defence, well coached but clueless in attack.

Wembley was it's usual disappointment particularly when wet. London is too big, Wembley area has nothing to attract so the whole event is about the match which is over too soon. How many thousands...look at the Coach Park...come down on the day and go straight home afterwards? And those who stay disappear into the mass that is London. At Cardiff there would be a full stadium and no Ring of Indifference, plus a city that welcomes the fans into it's town centre and has a party before and afterwards. They even close the roads around the stadium!

It will never happen but I make a special plea for Hull fans....give us a chance! Play at Cardiff for the next 20 years and a new generation will never have to bear the fact that Rovers will gladly join in their singing of Old Faithful. In the big Derbies the song is turned on them regardless of the score.

Congratulations to Hull for getting there , genuine commiserations on the day, to Wigan you better start rebuilding. My man of the match...Scott Taylor.

#386 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

<snip>

So to summarize; Wigan are ###### despite winning the CC and lying third in the league. :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#387 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

A fairly positive piece about the game in the Torygraph today. No doom and gloom therein.

http://www.telegraph...arriors-16.html

I can't recall the journalist, Arindam Rej, writing about rugby in the Torygraph before...

#388 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

If there were Wigan fans already outside when the Cup was "lifted"...both meanings! surprised there were many left inside. The phenomenal support was obviously absent again yesterday. They may be a good team...no more no less...but why claim support in numbers when they seem to pick and choose when to go.

The game was poor because Wigan are out of form...Tomkins was anonymous and Charnley , couldn't get into the game, Richards is no threat these days and there are too many young and old average players there now. Hulls defence was excellent but not overly challenged and too many players were playing under a cloud of fitness/injury. To say Hull have a great team for the future don't kid yourself. Ellis never makes a break and can only get worse....keep him well clear of the World Cup...Tickle going anyway but pedestrian...the Ogre average but going...Shaul very promising, as is Ben Crookes when fit, Houghton great as is Heremiah for 40, Briscoe has it but rarely performs now before leaving. Westerman penalty machine and poor, Miller poor needs a lot of experience, Holdsworth can perform but goes missing in too many games.Andy Lynch good, Yeaman a journeyman now and Watts, well,. Great defence, well coached but clueless in attack.

Wembley was it's usual disappointment particularly when wet. London is too big, Wembley area has nothing to attract so the whole event is about the match which is over too soon. How many thousands...look at the Coach Park...come down on the day and go straight home afterwards? And those who stay disappear into the mass that is London. At Cardiff there would be a full stadium and no Ring of Indifference, plus a city that welcomes the fans into it's town centre and has a party before and afterwards. They even close the roads around the stadium!

It will never happen but I make a special plea for Hull fans....give us a chance! Play at Cardiff for the next 20 years and a new generation will never have to bear the fact that Rovers will gladly join in their singing of Old Faithful. In the big Derbies the song is turned on them regardless of the score.

Congratulations to Hull for getting there , genuine commiserations on the day, to Wigan you better start rebuilding. My man of the match...Scott Taylor.

That looks like a mixture of some genuine thoughts and some not so subtle fishing to me :)

Edited by MrFussy, 25 August 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#389 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

So to summarize; Wigan are ###### despite winning the CC and lying third in the league. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

The supporters of many clubs would like their team to be that carp!

#390 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Really? I don't know about "phenomenal" support, but we have plenty and we do our bit for this sport. Hull people may be queuing up to take a pop but my experience over the last few years is that Wigan's support is one of the best things about the sport just now. Having adjusted to the misplaced sense of entitlement whcih grew up after the glory years, we have gone about growing a knowledgable and enthusiastic fan base.
There are figures published of attendances which are presumably available in Hull. Have a look at those over the last 10 years and see what story they tell.
With my eyes I watched an empty FC end as we lifted the Cup, and was also standing in front of FC fans in the line to the Tube 10 minutes later. Perhaps our exits are closer to the Tube?
By all means pile in and slag off the game, that's a valid opinion, but to take isolated "facts" and extrapolate to infinity deserves to be answered. If it makes the 80 % who were not hoping for a Wigan victory feel better, then there's no hope.

#391 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

YES.

How many more times do you need to be told.

3rd and falling rapidly!

#392 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

No wish to defend Hulls supporters...they were very wrong to empty the stadium at one end before honouring their team and showing respect for Wigan.

But then they have a reputation.

When Covers demolished them at the KC in the play offs their end of season wave off to the fans was played out in front of a few hundred Hull fans, the other 14000 having vanished, most after 70 minutes. The Stadium that day belonged to 6000 Rovers supporters who refused to leave it was so much fun.

#393 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

Yesterday demonstrated that the choice of the Millennium Stadium for the opening of the world cup was the only sensible choice.

#394 Mrs Faithful

Mrs Faithful
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

Mrs Faithfull. They sing "you'll never win at Wembley"there is a difference

Correct a mundo.

Note to myself "Don't come on here when i as had a skinful" LOL ;)  

#395 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

A fairly positive piece about the game in the Torygraph today. No doom and gloom therein.

http://www.telegraph...arriors-16.html

I can't recall the journalist, Arindam Rej, writing about rugby in the Torygraph before...

Contrast that with this wonderful (not) piece of journalism in the Independent:

http://www.independe...e- 8783750.html

#396 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

I've backed Wigan for the double. I think they'll do it, and if the championship was decided by league position I think that they'd have a healthy lead in that.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#397 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Contrast that with this wonderful (not) piece of journalism in the Independent:

http://www.independe...e- 8783750.html

More of an attitudinal piece from Calvin than a report about the game. He evidently knows little about RL and it appears that he doesn't know Sam's surname either!

#398 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

I don't get why so many Fans dislike Wigan so much, Yesterday wasn't the greatest day but i don't think any body has claimed it was. Why does Wigan have to come in for the most blame for that, They didn't make it Rain, They didn't make Hull keep dropping the ball, There are people on here more or less slagging them of , and they won the Bl****y cup, what would it have been like if they had lost.

I do feel sorry for the Hull fans , The team was awful yesterday on attack, The defence was very very good, you have to give them credit for that, no team is going to rack up lots of points against that kind of defending.

The stuff about Wigan fans leaving early. Which club doesn't have them , certainly the Giants do and if they had crowds like Wigan ,maybe there would be just as many early leavers, ( I suspect that applies to most clubs ) Just my opinion but i feel much of the bile that is aimed at Wigan stems from jealousy of the success they have had ,and still do. I was never happy about the years they won everything, i felt it was never a level playing field but nobody can claim that now.

So maybe it wasn't the greatest final, But to be fair that has more to do with the Hull team than the Wigan one, It's not the end of the world or the game, If the Giants had have been there and won, I wouldn't have been too worried about how they did it, Let the Wigan fans enjoy it , whether they left early or not.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#399 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

My summary on yesterday: poor. Hull, poor. Pitch, poor. Weather, poor. Ball, poor. Game, poor.

Think the trial with this new ball is over.

#400 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,374 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

My summary on yesterday: poor. Hull, poor. Pitch, poor. Weather, poor. Ball, poor. Game, poor.

Think the trial with this new ball is over.

I agree wholeheartedly. Some have different opinions. C'est la vie!
I just don't get why some have an issue with posting such an opinion?
Whilst some got something out of yesterday, I thought it was a sheeite game. Nowt more now less. Sheeite games happen. They could play that fixture another hundred times and it wouldn't be as bad.
Its not the end of the world. Armageddon is NOT nigh!! The apocalypse isn't about to destroy the world.
But IMO that was a sheeite game.
Now to look forrad to Wednesday when we play the dee dars! !!
And of its a poor or good game I'm likely to comment either way!!!

Edited by Robin Evans, 25 August 2013 - 01:12 PM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users