League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

RL Challenge Cup Final, Hull FC v Wigan Warriors, 24/8/2013, KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

Poll: RL Cup Final Hull FC v Wigan Warriors (70 member(s) have cast votes)

The dream...who will you be cheering for?

1. Hull FC (42 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Wigan Warriors (15 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. Not bothered as long as it's a good game. (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

The reality...who do you think will win?

1. Hull FC (31 votes [44.29%])

Percentage of vote: 44.29%

2. Wigan Warriors (33 votes [47.14%])

Percentage of vote: 47.14%

3. The sport of RL as it'll be like1985 all over again. (6 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#401 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

I've been to the new Wembley quite a few times and I've only seen images of yesterdays crowd posted on here,but why was 78000 + posted as official when to me it looked far less than than that?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#402 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

I went yesterday for the first time to 'new' Wembley and the first time to a challenge cup final in 25 years. Here are my thoughts (if anyone cares):-

• Wembley stadium is fantastic, can't see where you would get a bad view from. Will be heading to the World Cup Semis without doubt now
  • Real shame about the weather, who knows how different everything else would have been
  • Hull were poor, but thought O'Meley, Briscoe, Whiting and Shaul had good games
  • Wigan were very professional, they didnt need to be anymore expasive than they were
  • Sam Tomkins is a star who will be greatly missed in Super League. As long as it's the NRL and not 'kick and clap' I don't care
  • Great to see how many Brits there were playing, compared to 5 years ago
  • Atmosphere was really good, didn't see an ounce of trouble
  • Challenge Cup, Grand Final and international matches are what matter to the national press, the World Cup needs to be a success at the big 3 matches (opener, semi-final and final). No one (apart from people on here) will care if there are only 2000 at Bristol if we get a sell out at the final, and big crowds at Cardiff and Wembley - book now if you are thinking about it!!
  • One of the main highlights for me was watching the curtain raiser and seeing Matt Dawson's old school (High Wycombe I think) put 40 past Castleford. Seeing all those kids playing and enjoying Rugby League was great. There no.13 looked a world beater 
  • Going to try and support as many big matches (internationals, exiles, cup finals as I can from now on)

#403 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

So, let's get this straight.

Hull and Wigan supporters are pathetic, and Hull KR supporters are the only ones in SL worthy of the name?

If you say so, I never did. Your interpretation of their behaviour not mine.
But yes I do feel that since achieving SL status Rovers fans have travelled in numbers, have stuck with their team win or lose, and remain a credit to the club through all it's struggles.

All this despite the fact that Hull KR's home attendances are awful, and behind both of the teams you are slagging of?

The home attendances at 7000 to 8000 are hardly awful more so as most home games clash with the mighty Hull, hence possibly their decline by 3000 this season. And as you say we haven't won anything yet and cannot offer away supporters dedicated seated cover reducing that following. Just imagine the crowds either Hull or Rovers will get in a rugby mad town once the trophies start rolling in...again.We live in hope of a return to the 80s domination our city had!

Do me a favour, go away and have a think, and maybe come back when KR win something.

Didn't realise comments where only welcome when your team win trophies. No wonder we have to put up with your aggressive but unhelpful comments. Rest assured I will never do you a favour, I have had a think and guess what.....

#404 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

I've been to the new Wembley quite a few times and I've only seen images of yesterdays crowd posted on here,but why was 78000 + posted as official when to me it looked far less than than that?

I would assume they posted the number of tickets sold.  I personally know two people who had bought tickets but who couldn't go (and couldn't get rid of their tickets).  If there are others in the same boat then that would explain some of the empty seats but probably not those in the top tier which probably wouldn't sell first anyway and even then only to those with a strong head for heights!  (I certainly wouldn't go to Wembley again if only top tier seats were available!)

I think the ring of indifference constitutes about 15,000 tickets and includes the seats in the lower tier opposite to the camera.  Probably a couple of thousand of those seats were taken all told but generally the corporate types didn't seem to turn up, and haven't turned up to Wembley since the new stadium was built.  So we are never going to get a sell out crowd there.

#405 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

I went to the game and enjoyed the occasion despite Wigan winning and the garbage weather.

There was still every chance Hull could still win until about the 77th minute, so it was a close game. I'd rather see a close game than a basketball score anyday.

Crowdwise I would say the announced figure was right (assuming all 17k club wembley seats were counted).

I think the football has had a large impact on the crowd. I'm sure that if Hull City and the Latics werent playing there would have been another 5-10k on.

Why cant we pull the final back to just before football starts, i.e early Aug?

#406 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

well i just got back and i have just wasted 30 mins reading garbage on here from all those "fans" that didn't go, moaning about the game, the crowd, the beeb and even the colour on there tellys.

as far as i am concerned it was a fantastic weekend a really tense game keeping me on the edge of my seat until tomkins scored, those that are moaning here should get off their lazy arses and support the game.

and believe me the rain was diabolical and did effect the game.

and i also predict popeydoyle will be banned off here within a month.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#407 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

Blimey, I pointed out a fact and Exiled Wiganer goes off on one - seriousl needs to chill out a bit.

I thought it was hilarious what my son said particularly with all the mickey taking about the Wigan Walk

Still, senses of humour seem to be few and far between round here lately
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#408 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

There was some minor trouble in the upper tier of the Hull end, about 20 rows behind us.
Hull fans scrapping between themselves, and still wanting to have a go in the concourse afterwards.

Not the greatest game. Did wonder why it took 60 mins for a real raft on knock-ons to materialise. Did 1 rogue ball get onto the pitch?

Wigan were there for the taking. Hull couldn't do it though as made to many mistakes.

Great weekend.

#409 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

There was some minor trouble in the upper tier of the Hull end, about 20 rows behind us.
Hull fans scrapping between themselves, and still wanting to have a go in the concourse afterwards.

Not the greatest game. Did wonder why it took 60 mins for a real raft on knock-ons to materialise. Did 1 rogue ball get onto the pitch?

Wigan were there for the taking. Hull couldn't do it though as made to many mistakes.

Great weekend.

Really? They looked fairly comfortable throughout to me. Had Jamie Shaul gone on to score however, or Hull managed to cross the line when they were pushing hard 10 minutes from time without dropping the ball it could have been a real grandstand finish. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#410 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

It wasn't classic entertaining stuff, but I enjoyed it. Although Wigan controlled the game it was up for grabs until last 10mins or so if Hull had managed to keep hold of some ball.    If Shaul's break had not had a great piece of play by Charnley to prevent what looked like a try then it could have been a great last 20mins.  As it was it kept you wondering if Hull could get back into the game as it was close enough to keep you wondering, alas their ball handling failed them.

So nope not great ball passing and great try fest... but it reminded me of so many games I attended when I was much younger (I'm 60) so lets not pretend that RL has always been about fantastic skills and classic rugby.

#411 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. Some have different opinions. C'est la vie!
I just don't get why some have an issue with posting such an opinion?
Whilst some got something out of yesterday, I thought it was a sheeite game. Nowt more now less. Sheeite games happen. They could play that fixture another hundred times and it wouldn't be as bad.
Its not the end of the world. Armageddon is NOT nigh!! The apocalypse isn't about to destroy the world.
But IMO that was a sheeite game.
Now to look forrad to Wednesday when we play the dee dars! !!
And of its a poor or good game I'm likely to comment either way!!!

Ha ha, great post, roll on hull Wigan next week !

#412 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

I had a great day mixing with fans of different clubs especially the Batley fan who I played against when Swindon Bulldogs played Morley in the early 90's. This is what the Challenge Cup Final is about for me.

I also enjoyed the game and, yes, I know it wasn't a classic.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 25 August 2013 - 07:20 PM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#413 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

I really enjoyed the game. As many previous posters have said the result was still potentially in the balance until the last 15/10 minutes. 

Yeah, it was a shame Hull made so many ball handling errors, but when both teams were spilling the ball midway through the second half it kind of added its own edge to the game.

Charnley's try saving one on one tackle, especially considering the 8 or so metres Shaul had on him was the highlight of the game for me.

Well done Wigan RLFC and to the town of Wigan for having the current FA and Challenge Cup trophies. 

#414 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Maybe, just maybe, they rely on the computerised turnstiles which read the barcode on each ticket used to gain entry to calculate the number of people inside the stadium, rather than a random glance at a photograph or a TV screen?

It is probable that if everyone who moaned on the internet about the size of the crowd at the Challenge Cup Final had actually bought a ticket themselves and supported the event instead, Wembley would have been sold out months in advance. Let's all try this approach for next year, huh?

If the weather had been better, so would the quality of the game. That's life.

I was there. I had a good day out anyway. The Challenge Cup Final is always about so much more than the match. If you go with the aim of enjoying yourself, you will, regardless.

And yes, I bought I my own ticket before anyone asks...

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#415 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Really? They looked fairly comfortable throughout to me. Had Jamie Shaul gone on to score however, or Hull managed to cross the line when they were pushing hard 10 minutes from time without dropping the ball it could have been a real grandstand finish.

To me it looked as though Wigan were predictable in attack but TBF solid in defence.
I thought that Hull had more potential situations to score points but didn't take any of them. I was waiting for Hull to click into gear, keep hold of the ball, and take 1 or 2 of the chances that came along. Even at 73 mins on the clock, Hull forced Wigan into conceding a GLDO I thought they could still do it.

#416 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Maybe, just maybe, they rely on the computerised turnstiles which read the barcode on each ticket used to gain entry to calculate the number of people inside the stadium, rather than a random glance at a photograph or a TV screen?

It is probable that if everyone who moaned on the internet about the size of the crowd at the Challenge Cup Final had actually bought a ticket themselves and supported the event instead, Wembley would have been sold out months in advance. Let's all try this approach for next year, huh?

I was there. I had a good day out anyway. The Challenge Cup Final is always about so much more than the match. If you go with the aim of enjoying yourself, you will, regardless.

The key to most things in life I find. Perhaps more people who post on here, and rugby league folk in general should try it? <_<

Edited by Griff9of13, 25 August 2013 - 07:13 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#417 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,035 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

The truth is out there.

IMG_7067_zps5fa0338b.jpg

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#418 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

The truth is out there.

IMG_7067_zps5fa0338b.jpg

At least 19000 in that picture.

As for this thread, rugby league fans are miserable bastards sometimes, easily the most destructive thing to our game.

#419 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,035 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'm with you all the way John. I was so wet before the game I gave up trying to keep dry, I couldn't get any wetter, a lot of other people were the same, we just got on and enjoyed the day regardless.

The game suffered because of the conditions, but in the Wigan end it was tense, expecting the Hull come back any time,

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#420 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,035 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

At least 19000 in that picture.

As for this thread, rugby league fans are miserable bastards sometimes, easily the most destructive thing to our game.

I think you missed who I was having a dig at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users