Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

RL Challenge Cup Final, Hull FC v Wigan Warriors, 24/8/2013, KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

Poll: RL Cup Final Hull FC v Wigan Warriors (70 member(s) have cast votes)

The dream...who will you be cheering for?

1. Hull FC (42 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Wigan Warriors (15 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. Not bothered as long as it's a good game. (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

The reality...who do you think will win?

1. Hull FC (31 votes [44.29%])

Percentage of vote: 44.29%

2. Wigan Warriors (33 votes [47.14%])

Percentage of vote: 47.14%

3. The sport of RL as it'll be like1985 all over again. (6 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#421 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

I think you missed who I was having a dig at.

Sorry, my statement wasn't aimed at you, I should really have made 2 posts.

#422 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

I would assume they posted the number of tickets sold. I personally know two people who had bought tickets but who couldn't go (and couldn't get rid of their tickets). If there are others in the same boat then that would explain some of the empty seats but probably not those in the top tier which probably wouldn't sell first anyway and even then only to those with a strong head for heights! (I certainly wouldn't go to Wembley again if only top tier seats were available!)

I think the ring of indifference constitutes about 15,000 tickets and includes the seats in the lower tier opposite to the camera. Probably a couple of thousand of those seats were taken all told but generally the corporate types didn't seem to turn up, and haven't turned up to Wembley since the new stadium was built. So we are never going to get a sell out crowd there.

yes I had top tier in 2010 and didn't like either
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#423 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

Sorry, my statement wasn't aimed at you, I should really have made 2 posts.

No prob.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#424 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

yes I had top tier in 2010 and didn't like either

We were on the front row of the top tier and the view was excellent. Will be going there again next year I think.

#425 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 872 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Even on FA cup final or England matches the "new" Wembley can look as if it has empty spaces.  Especially the tier that also has the hospitality suites and the club Wembley area.    It holds 90,000 and so even a 78000 crowd will have 13% spare seating even if everybody was seated, if you add those that going to get beer, sitting in hospitality venue, gone the toilet.... or whatever even on FA Cup day it sometimes looks like lots of empty seats.

#426 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

Does anyone know when the Club Wembley seats go "open"? I thought it was 10 years after the first final which would be 2017 wouldnt it?
Interesting what people say about the top tier. Personally I will not go in it again (did it in 2007 and 2008 for financial reasons) as it is too far and decoupled from the action. The soulless middle tier also contributes to the decoupling, so hopefully by 2017 or whenever it is, it will be back to being full

#427 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

To me it looked as though Wigan were predictable in attack but TBF solid in defence.
I thought that Hull had more potential situations to score points but didn't take any of them. I was waiting for Hull to click into gear, keep hold of the ball, and take 1 or 2 of the chances that came along. Even at 73 mins on the clock, Hull forced Wigan into conceding a GLDO I thought they could still do it.A

And then the unfortunate Holdsworth promptly knocked on the drop out kick. Hull shot themselves in the foot with a howitzer yesterday. 

#428 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

Dreadful weather, very tense game if a little lacking in attacking quality, good day out as usual, great result and well worth the money.

Always good to win the pot that the supposedly great Leeds team just don't seem able to win (once in last 35 years!!)

Hard luck to Hull and their speccies - your team tackled like Trojans and you should be proud of that if nothing else - but you needed to do something with the ball to beat Wigan and it was just the wrong day for it. You were still in it right to the death and on another day the outcome could have been different - I couldn't have complained if we had been beaten. You should have taken the 2 kickable penalties that you turned down when the score was 0-8 they might have made a difference.

Sad to hear all the negativity in here about the game - sometimes the sun doesn't shine and sometimes the game is just not a classic. If you are so bothered about the empty seats why not go and fill one of them next year?

#429 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

We were on the front row of the top tier and the view was excellent. Will be going there again next year I think.

Last year we were in the same position and I felt like I needed to get the binoculars out.......a few yrs ago we were in the upper part of the lower tier and that was a crackin view

#430 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

Dreadful weather, very tense game if a little lacking in attacking quality, good day out as usual, great result and well worth the money.

Always good to win the pot that the supposedly great Leeds team just don't seem able to win (once in last 35 years!!)

Hard luck to Hull and their speccies - your team tackled like Trojans and you should be proud of that if nothing else - but you needed to do something with the ball to beat Wigan and it was just the wrong day for it. You were still in it right to the death and on another day the outcome could have been different - I couldn't have complained if we had been beaten. You should have taken the 2 kickable penalties that you turned down when the score was 0-8 they might have made a difference.

Sad to hear all the negativity in here about the game - sometimes the sun doesn't shine and sometimes the game is just not a classic. If you are so bothered about the empty seats why not go and fill one of them next year?

no team can play for 35 years
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#431 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

Dear Hull.
You'll never win at Wembley playing like this.

No-one would win anywhere playing like that.

rldfsignature.jpg

#432 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,038 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

To me it looked as though Wigan were predictable in attack but TBF solid in defence.
I thought that Hull had more potential situations to score points but didn't take any of them. I was waiting for Hull to click into gear, keep hold of the ball, and take 1 or 2 of the chances that came along. Even at 73 mins on the clock, Hull forced Wigan into conceding a GLDO I thought they could still do it.

Agreed. HUll certainly had the potential to win, and the chances, They gave Tomkins and Richards no space, no time.   Also it seemed to me that Wigans game plan was to aim for a direct, take-no-chances attack that was mainly contained by Hull. 

Also I agree with John Drake but I am tempted  to be more outspoken about the miserable buggers who do nothing but moan, complain about and denigrate our game.

Some might argue that this Mike Harding verse is relevant:

stick them up to their necks
In the foulest stink-pot of an old bog
You can find....head down.....
And leave them there.

#433 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

Maybe, just maybe, they rely on the computerised turnstiles which read the barcode on each ticket used to gain entry to calculate the number of people inside the stadium, rather than a random glance at a photograph or a TV screen?

It is probable that if everyone who moaned on the internet about the size of the crowd at the Challenge Cup Final had actually bought a ticket themselves and supported the event instead, Wembley would have been sold out months in advance. Let's all try this approach for next year, huh?

If the weather had been better, so would the quality of the game. That's life.

I was there. I had a good day out anyway. The Challenge Cup Final is always about so much more than the match. If you go with the aim of enjoying yourself, you will, regardless.

And yes, I bought I my own ticket before anyone asks...

I bought a ticket for the last 3 years.This year I decided not to travel from Philadelphia and maybe wait to see my team in October,or attend the rlwc.It does cost money coming all this way
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#434 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

Dreadful weather, very tense game if a little lacking in attacking quality, good day out as usual, great result and well worth the money.

Hard luck to Hull and their speccies - your team tackled like Trojans and you should be proud of that if nothing else - but you needed to do something with the ball to beat Wigan and it was just the wrong day for it. You were still in it right to the death and on another day the outcome could have been different - I couldn't have complained if we had been beaten. You should have taken the 2 kickable penalties that you turned down when the score was 0-8 they might have made a difference.

Huddersfield haven't. Won anything since 1962 and they are now the best team in sl
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#435 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Some very promising talent in the Hull line up. Bodes well for the future. Gentle seems to have worked some miracle on the defence!

Yes, still plenty of reasons to be optimistic for we Hull fans.

I'd be interested to know if anybody can recall a younger back line in a Challenge Cup final.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#436 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Yeaman ! And young doesn't equal potential.....Shaul and Crookes plus Lineham have potential. Briscoe is off, team and playing wise.

As Pearson has said in today's paper, come the end of the season and we need to build a new team....looks like Gentle is doomed.

#437 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

As Pearson has said in today's paper, come the end of the season and we need to build a new team....looks like Gentle is doomed.

I didn't get the impression that Gentle was doomed.  Quite the reverse.  I thought Pearson was putting the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the players: he has recognised that Hull still require some new blood to take the next step and I took that as meaning he'd noticed the players who were lacking in the final.

There is no way that Gentle could have planned for some of his most experienced players (plus Miller and Crooks) totally bottling it on the day.

Edited by Saintslass, 26 August 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#438 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,621 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

I bought a ticket for the last 3 years.This year I decided not to travel from Philadelphia and maybe wait to see my team in October,or attend the rlwc.It does cost money coming all this way

Fair enough, but why add a moany comment about the size of the crowd and imply the figure must even have been fiddled upwards?

I just don't get it.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#439 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

I had a great day, it was a tough grinding match due to the weather, but was close on the scoreboard throughout.

Just support the big games, rather than sit at home moaning about anything you can think of. We have the best sport in the world so enjoy it!!!

#440 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Fair enough, but why add a moany comment about the size of the crowd and imply the figure must even have been fiddled upwards?

I just don't get it.

It really wasn't a moan.When I saw the official gate at 78k+ I thought well that's fine,when I saw images of the crowd and read comments about the figure and how it looked from others who were there,I just thought have a lot tickets and not turned up
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users