RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

RL Challenge Cup Final, Hull FC v Wigan Warriors, 24/8/2013, KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

Poll: RL Cup Final Hull FC v Wigan Warriors (70 member(s) have cast votes)

The dream...who will you be cheering for?

1. Hull FC (42 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Wigan Warriors (15 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. Not bothered as long as it's a good game. (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

The reality...who do you think will win?

1. Hull FC (31 votes [44.29%])

Percentage of vote: 44.29%

2. Wigan Warriors (33 votes [47.14%])

Percentage of vote: 47.14%

3. The sport of RL as it'll be like1985 all over again. (6 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#441 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Another game related piece in the Torygraph today by Arindam Rej, focussing on Matty Smith.

http://www.telegraph...at-Wembley.html

#442 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

Smith was a very good buy by Wigan.
Improved massively at Salford with Shaun Long as coach.
At Wigan with Harris and Deacon as his coaches he's improved greatly again!

#443 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

I didn't get the impression that Gentle was doomed.  Quite the reverse.  I thought Pearson was putting the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the players: he has recognised that Hull still require some new blood to take the next step and I took that as meaning he'd noticed the players who were lacking in the final.

There is no way that Gentle could have planned for some of his most experienced players (plus Miller and Crooks) totally bottling it on the day.

That's how I read it too.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#444 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Chris Waddle has just commented on the BBC website that the first half of Man Utd vs Chelsea has been awful. Guess our game isn't the only one with problems especially as someone has just chirped up saying they hope it is called off like the Charlton game on Sat!

That Matty Smith article was very good by the way.

Edited by GeordieSaint, 26 August 2013 - 08:05 PM.

• fieldofclothofgold likes this

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#445 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Another game related piece in the Torygraph today by Arindam Rej, focussing on Matty Smith.

I thought he was a good call for the Lance Todd. On a day when there were no standout individual performances he led his team around the park very well. Smith and his partner Green did the kind of solid job that was required in the conditions.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#446 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Called in at the in-laws on the way home from my Wembley weekend tonight. Neither of them have much interest in sport & certainly not rugby league. They said they watched the game as they knew we were going to it, and they thought it was a great game, which they really enjoyed. "And that Tomkins..."

I suspect we might be a little overly critical of our game. It wasn't a classic by any means, but there are plenty of other sporting events shown on the BBC that are a lot less interesting.

#447 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Chris Waddle has just commented on the BBC website that the first half of Man Utd vs Chelsea has been awful. Guess our game isn't the only one with problems.

I think we are generally spoiled by how often big games and finals in RL for the most part are competitive, enthralling and high quality. It certainly isn't the case for more hyped sports and is possibly one of the influences of such negative hyperbole of RL fans when we get a comparative dud like Saturday's game.

What has been missing from a lot of the negativity is perspective. The game wasn't of a high standard or particularly entertaining for neutrals , but then again I can only think of two very poor finals in the last 15 years (2001 and this one). Hardly an indicator of the general entertainment on offer in the showpiece RL events.
  • fieldofclothofgold likes this

#448 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

Absolutely fed up. We were absolutely hopeless. All that effort spent beating Catalans and Wire to perform like that in the final. What an embarrassment. Certain players spent too much time thinking what they were going to do with the ball without concentrating on catching the #### thing first.

Not a happy bunny.

I hope it hasn't ruined your holiday and that the local apple based alcoholic beverage has cheered you up a bit.

#449 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

That's a good article, and very accurate!  Shows what a decent bit of research can do, not to mention some balanced reporting.

#450 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

I hope it hasn't ruined your holiday and that the local apple based alcoholic beverage has cheered you up a bit.

Remarkably enough, I'm sat supping some of said beverage on the decking as I'm reading the forum. It's dry, not got a trace of any bubbles in it, and strong enough to ensure a rather good night's sleep.

Thanks for your concern.

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

#451 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

Does anyone know when the Club Wembley seats go "open"? I thought it was 10 years after the first final which would be 2017 wouldnt it?
Interesting what people say about the top tier. Personally I will not go in it again (did it in 2007 and 2008 for financial reasons) as it is too far and decoupled from the action. The soulless middle tier also contributes to the decoupling, so hopefully by 2017 or whenever it is, it will be back to being full

http://www.dailymail...ARLES-SALE.html
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#452 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,621 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Why does this not surprise me, soccer the main reason people/companies bought into this, doesn't deliver the goods. It turns into an expensive mass catered meal to watch a dull game. We then suffer on the back of that because people are not impressed by a sport they do know so why bother with a sport they hardly know.

Just a thought, do the RFL have access to details of who has signrd up for the debentures, or do we rely on the FA encouraging their customers to turn up for another sport?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#453 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Dear God, I read a few of the after-match posts on this thread and just gave up. The hysterical lack of perspective is even worse than ever. Not a great game, but hard-fought in defence and the better team on the day took the victory. Despite the technical foul-ups, the BBC treated the event very well indeed.

But it seems that every single negative point creates a feeding frenzy for the Jeremiahs, who seem to desire the extinction of Rugby League even more than the Rugby Union lot.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#454 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

Coming late to this one but I'll throw in my tuppence anyway. Poor game, really poor weather, but a grand day out as always. Was sat with Hull fans and felt for them - so frustrating for them seeing their players drop the ball every other minute.

Already looking forward to next year's final!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users