Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

RL Challenge Cup Final, Hull FC v Wigan Warriors, 24/8/2013, KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

Poll: RL Cup Final Hull FC v Wigan Warriors (70 member(s) have cast votes)

The dream...who will you be cheering for?

1. Hull FC (42 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Wigan Warriors (15 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. Not bothered as long as it's a good game. (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

The reality...who do you think will win?

1. Hull FC (31 votes [44.29%])

Percentage of vote: 44.29%

2. Wigan Warriors (33 votes [47.14%])

Percentage of vote: 47.14%

3. The sport of RL as it'll be like1985 all over again. (6 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Well I'll be sitting in the "ring of indifference" so at least 4 seats will be very involved....my dad's first ever trip to Wembley, its on his bucket list, so thought I'd oblige in style

Add another two seats on to that!

#42 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

What are the bookies saying for this? 8 point start to Hull I'd suggest?

You could have had a 12 point start or Hull at 3/1 off levels earlier in the week Dave.

rldfsignature.jpg

#43 3feathers

3feathers
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

As a Crusaders fan, and after Hulls fantastic attitude at our last Superleague match, I'll definately cheer them on. Come on Hull.

#44 Jarv

Jarv
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Can fans of the respective teams give their predicted starting lineups please?

Well I think the forwards will start as follows with only Ogre previously having a knock and Tickle one of the mystery doubts in Hull since Friday but say very likely to play even jabbed up -

Watts, Houghton, O'Meley, Ellis, Tickle, Westerman

Subs likely to be - Lynch, Heremaia, Pitts (toss of a coin with Green perhaps), Whiting

I dont think even Peter Gentle will know the backs at the moment - Tom Lineham seems very very doubtful, Arundal who I thought looked to have the most hope Friday now could be worse than thought and Kirk Yeaman who looked the worst now most in the with a shout. Add to that Horne is now possibly fit and rumours (just that I suspect) that Ben Crooks may have made a sudden recovery. All said I suspect Horne will be dragged in with no match fitness as follows -

Shaul, Crookes (Jason), Horne, Yeaman, Briscoe, Holdsworth, Miller

#45 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

Well I'll be sitting in the "ring of indifference" so at least 4 seats will be very involved....my dad's first ever trip to Wembley, its on his bucket list, so thought I'd oblige in style

Good on you. He'll love it. Good post that.

#46 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

I supported Wigan in 85 on my first trip to Wembley, and I see no reason to change that stance this weekend.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#47 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

You're stuck in a rut Larry.

rldfsignature.jpg

#48 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Supporting Wigan (obviously) but even though I've been offered a ticket my wife is due to give birth in the next week so I'm not going this time. There are some things even more important to me than RL and family always wins.

That said I'll be glued to the telly box.

#49 Jarv

Jarv
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Well I think the forwards will start as follows with only Ogre previously having a knock and Tickle one of the mystery doubts in Hull since Friday but say very likely to play even jabbed up -

Watts, Houghton, O'Meley, Ellis, Tickle, Westerman

Subs likely to be - Lynch, Heremaia, Pitts (toss of a coin with Green perhaps), Whiting

I dont think even Peter Gentle will know the backs at the moment - Tom Lineham seems very very doubtful, Arundal who I thought looked to have the most hope Friday now could be worse than thought and Kirk Yeaman who looked the worst now most in the with a shout. Add to that Horne is now possibly fit and rumours (just that I suspect) that Ben Crooks may have made a sudden recovery. All said I suspect Horne will be dragged in with no match fitness as follows -

Shaul, Crookes (Jason), Horne, Yeaman, Briscoe, Holdsworth, Miller

Previous post can now be updated -

Joe Arundel @JoeArundel 17m

To all people asking I fractured my hand friday and will be getting an op today to fix it. Thanks for all the support! #Gutted

So depending on news today you would expect either Horne, Whiting or Crooks (if you can believe that) at centre

#50 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

One of those games that you want both teams to lose! Hope its a great game and Wigan win.

#51 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

Previous post can now be updated -

Joe Arundel @JoeArundel 17m

To all people asking I fractured my hand friday and will be getting an op today to fix it. Thanks for all the support! #Gutted

So depending on news today you would expect either Horne, Whiting or Crooks (if you can believe that) at centre

Terrible news for Joe as well as the team. He must be devastated.

I'm beginning to think Ben Crooks has more than an outside chance of making it.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#52 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Supporting Wigan (obviously) but even though I've been offered a ticket my wife is due to give birth in the next week so I'm not going this time. There are some things even more important to me than RL and family always wins.

That said I'll be glued to the telly box.

I hope everything goes well for you all.

Apart from the game of course ;)

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#53 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

Our daughter was born the day before we played Saints in the 2004 final. I didn't care if we won or lost.
Thinking back, though, at that point we could have played to our absolute best and not won. We've a much better chance this time.

#54 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Apart from Shannon McDonnell, I expect to see Hull at full strength in the backs. I reckon the Yeaman hobble off last week was pure theatrical kidology from Gentle and I think he's played down the return of Ben Crooks and Tom Lineham. I can't see him not fitting Richard Horne in there somewhere, we're a much better all round team when he plays, not only in attack but perhaps even moreso in defence.

I'm starting to feel a bit happier about our chances but still think Wigan will have too much on the day.

*Edit. Just noticed Sky Sports News saying Yeaman is definitely out, shows what I know.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Old Frightful, 21 August 2013 - 03:49 PM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#55 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

I just think we've got a great chance, Ellis will be massive for us, people have been critical of him but his performance in the semi was immense, he dominated Westwood all game.

#56 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

Wigan announced today that Waney is staying put for next season, has this been rushed out to steady the ship. It seems a strange time to announce it considering the way the Wigan media machine normally time things. 

I think Wigan are the team under real pressure in this one. 

That Hull defence of recent and our recent lack of penetration in attack still gives me the feeling that Hull will break the Wembley hoodoo, if they do I'm going to join in the party.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#57 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

That Hull defence of recent and our recent lack of penetration in attack still gives me the feeling that Hull will break the Wembley hoodoo, if they do I'm going to join in the party.

Unlikely to happen but if it does, I shall seek you out for a Bitofaboogie.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#58 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Unlikely to happen but if it does, I shall seek you out for a Bitofaboogie.

Bitofaboogie will be hanging from the stadium rafters.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#59 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

Nice to see Olympic gold medalist and Hull fan Luke Campbell will be presenting the trophy.

#60 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

Dave Whelan sticks his nose in.

http://www.wigantoda...final-1-5966323