Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Career change

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,589 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

Has anyone successfully changed their career?

I posted this post last month about me looking to move back into permanent work but a number of recent things have made me realise that it may be the overall career I can no longer stand rather than just bits of it.  I went for a 2nd interview yesterday, it went very well and there's an excellent chance I'll get an offer early next week but the job itself doesn't give me that feeling of excitement at getting it despite it being one of the top jobs available in my industry and profession.  The thought of working in my day job for another 5-6 years just makes me cold.

So... I'm very tempted to just sack it all for a month or two and put a lot of effort into investigating a career change into doing something I actually enjoy.

I fell into my current career by accident in 2000, right place at the right time and given a chance that I really shouldn't have been given to run a major international technology project despite having never run a project more complex than my weekly Tesco shopping trip.  Looking back on it with 13 years of experience behind me, it's a project that should only really have been given to someone at the top of their trade due to its complicating factors of difficult end client, 8 figure budget, 50+ full-time staff, an unproven experimental technology and a set of requirements that struggled to fill one page.  I did fairly well, mainly through luck and being dragged along by a very experienced technical lead.  Since then, that's been my career, doing higher end technology and business projects with complex outcomes.  For the first 10 years it was good fun and very enjoyable but it has  become a bit of a chore over the last 3.

I know I have a lot of transferable skills and wide-ranging professional qualifications but I've never really put the effort into thinking about what other jobs I'd like to do with my skills.  I may even put the effort into the career change and discover that all I really needed was a sabbatical from my career to refresh my enthusiasm, I doubt it but I'm not closing off the door to my past career without doing the proper due diligence.

At the age of 42, I'm getting to the point where I want to be doing a career that interests me, even if it's lower paid, than one that I grudge.  I also would prefer one where my daily commute is far shorter than my typical trip into London where all of my likely top-end employers are based.  My wife's serious illness over the last few years has also made me look at quality of life issues and realise that I really want to be spending less of my time thinking about work and get to the point that my private life takes more time than my working life.  Quite often on some of my projects I never do things outside of work from Monday to Friday due to the pressures of the job and long commutes, I'm out doing sport on Saturday and that leaves the solitary Sunday that we have to pack things into to get quality time together.  I now realise that that's not acceptable.

I'd be very interested to hear any examples of others who have changed careers and lessons learned from that change.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Look, buy a bright red sports car, have an affair with a blonde with FLBP and forget about it ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Learn how to plaster a wall and you'll be made for life

OR....

Do something, anything, but whatever it is call it "Wedding ...." - allows you to charge 5 times the standard rate

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#4 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

I switched from a good job at Rolls Royce (32 years service) to become a Chiropodist.
I was getting on a bit, but becoming self employed was definitely a good move.
  • ckn likes this
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Take the job if it's offered; you have no concrete alternative lined up.

Do it for a minimum of a year to do justice to your employer for taking you on.

In that period, you can decide if you like the work and make plans if you don't.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,589 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Take the job if it's offered; you have no concrete alternative lined up.

Do it for a minimum of a year to do justice to your employer for taking you on.

In that period, you can decide if you like the work and make plans if you don't.

Thanks for that, I do have an alternative though as I have quite a bit of work I can take as self-employed.  It's almost a win-win situation for job hunting as I know I'm fairly secure.

Your second paragraph is my problem, if I start a job, I intend to stick it out for far longer before jumping ship unless it's an intolerable workplace.  I really don't want to let the company down as it's a severe pain doing recruitment for the position, typically taking 3-6 months with notice periods and the recruitment process, never mind the recruitment agency's fee.  I'd hate to go into a job without my full heart into it.  The job is a good one but is a long commute away (just off Fleet Street) plus quite regular international hours working patterns plus having far too much responsibility to do anything other than be fully committed to it.

• PC likes this

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,589 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Look, buy a bright red sports car, have an affair with a blonde with FLBP and forget about it ...

My wife already thinks I look like my dad from 20 years ago without having the same mid-life crisis as he did...

#8 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,589 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

I switched from a good job at Rolls Royce (32 years service) to become a Chiropodist.

Thanks.  One thing that has suggested itself to me a lot over the last few years is becoming a therapist, that's certainly on my list of things to investigate.

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,589 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Learn how to plaster a wall and you'll be made for life

OR....

Do something, anything, but whatever it is call it "Wedding ...." - allows you to charge 5 times the standard rate

I'm fairly sure that'd not be something want to do!  Too physically lazy these days!

On the "wedding" whatever, I'd rather repeatedly punch myself in the nuts than work in that industry, too many bridezillas and miserable sods with unrealistic expectations.  I attended one wedding last year where the bride was in tears because her cake was on a normal table instead of a special cake table, apparently that "ruined her entire wedding day" ... no thanks.

#10 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,890 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

I enjoy job interviews and have changed jobs a few times over the 13 years since graduating. I always look for something new that offers me something different and most of the time I have been happy with the move I made. On a bad a day I look back and think the grass was greener before, but every job has new challenges and it's a matter of assuming the right mindset and finding ways to deal with it.

I started off working in my chosen industry and spent almost 11 years there in various roles. I saw that a lot of the companies in this line of work were outsourcing to contract research organisations for their project management so I jumped ship and moved to a CRO. It was a bit of a culture shock at first, some new challenges but a lot of it not that different to before (apart from a pay rise and I can now work from home 100%).

I always keep half an eye on the job market for my next move, I am happy enough at the moment but if things change or I get bored then I may start looking again. Not sure there are many jobs for life these days and employees are seen as being fairly disposable so I try to be pragmatic about the whole working situation.

Good luck for your move should you make one Craig.

• ckn likes this

28m391z.jpg

#11 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Pervert.

#12 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

I enjoy job interviews and have changed jobs a few times over the 13 years since graduating. I always look for something new that offers me something different and most of the time I have been happy with the move I made. On a bad a day I look back and think the grass was greener before, but every job has new challenges and it's a matter of assuming the right mindset and finding ways to deal with it.

I have read this thread with interest, but putting a downer on it, I'm sure it's much easier switching job sectors when you are younger (I'm not sure how old CKN is), but as you get older it's much harder to find employers who will retrain you. I am 51, and I have been unemployed for 15 days, & I'm already beginning to realise that unless you find an employer who is wangling for a equal age opportunities badge, they don't want to know somone who will retrain & then retire just as they are becomming useful.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#13 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Have you tried touring with your band? I have found it liberating.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 20 August 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#14 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

One things for sure if you get this job you won't be able to laud it over these boards as much as you do now.

#15 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

I have read this thread with interest, but putting a downer on it, I'm sure it's much easier switching job sectors when you are younger (I'm not sure how old CKN is), but as you get older it's much harder to find employers who will retrain you. I am 51, and I have been unemployed for 15 days, & I'm already beginning to realise that unless you find an employer who is wangling for a equal age opportunities badge, they don't want to know somone who will retrain & then retire just as they are becomming useful.

Packed my business in aged 56 in 2005 and found a job within one week. Following redundancy two years ago, I went self-employed as a landscape gardener. One door closes and another one opens. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#16 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

Pervert.

Me too!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

I suppose it helps in that job if you can laugh at defeat.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#18 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

I suppose it helps in that job if you can laugh at defeat.

I've reported this to the other mods.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

I've reported this to the other mods.

What other mods?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan