Ah. I see

#22 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

Ah. I see

Buy do you see? Do you?

Ps Said boy is well, and has had a career change. I won't post details but he's a happier pirate.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#23 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

I definitely see. Deffo

#24 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

I suppose it helps in that job if you can laugh at defeat.

I nominate this as 'post of the year'

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

adc-79jhotd117_8.jpg

42? Isn't that the answer to life...the universe...everything?

only go self employed if you really can't get a job. Make sure you have cash in the bank to pay direct debits for many many months, get your invoices out asap and don't be afraid to chase payment.  

Having said that, I used to work closely with this guy for many year when he was an engineer/sales until this major change of direction  probably ten years ago. so it IS possible.

Edited by JohnM, 21 August 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#26 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,390 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Buy do you see? Do you?

Ps Said boy is well, and has had a career change. I won't post details but he's a happier pirate.

Just so long as he remains an Urban Dandy.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#27 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

15 years ago I was trudging along in a (at the time) steady, secure, but ultimately dull and ill paid job as manager of a stationary wholesalers. I knew I wanted more from my work life but didn't know exactly what. We had recently had a new computer system installed which I became heavily involved in and came to the realisation that I may have the aptitude for IT type work. However I left school with no qualifications (I left school at Easter and had to take time off work to go back into school to take my exams, so no real surprise that I didn't do too well :rolleyes:) so I needed to get onto the qualification ladder. Luckily my local college ran an access to higher education in IT course that gave you the equivalent of the necessary A levels in one year. So I packed in my steady, dull job and went back to school at the age of 38. I passed the access course with flying colours and managed to gain a place at the university of my choice,  Liverpool John Moores. There I did a sandwich course in computer studies and it was while on my placement year I got into my current career as a business intelligence consultant working at Heinz in Wigan. Once I left university I struggled to find work, but eventually managed to get regular work as a contractor, the contract market was pretty healthy at the time. Eventually I was headhunted by my current employer.

Jumping career was the best move of my life, even though I was pushing 40 at the time.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#28 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Just so long as he remains an Urban Dandy.

I'd add earthy to that.

#29 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

15 years ago I was trudging along in a (at the time) steady, secure, but ultimately dull and ill paid job as manager of a stationary wholesalers.

which firm?

#30 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

the one David Brent worked for? :D

#31 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

which firm?

Probably one you've never heard of, it being a local family run place. AEC Supplies, Formby. Sadly they went bust earlier this year. I say sadly, I mean that for those who worked there; I have little sympathy for the bloke who owned it. He was very dismissive and ungracious when I handed in my notice, saying my move would amount to nothing. Since then I've worked all over the country, and occasionally in Europe for a wide variety of clients. Oh, and I now pay more in tax each month than the 'wage' they paid me.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#32 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

15 years ago I was trudging along in a (at the time) steady, secure, but ultimately dull and ill paid job as manager of a stationary wholesalers.

Was it not going anywhere?

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

#33 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Was it not going anywhere?

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

There was a wholesaler that used a slogan along those lines...,

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

There was a wholesaler that used a slogan along those lines...,

Was there a big market in selling holes?

#35 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

Made redundant from the private sector manufacturing and chemical industry at 38. Went into school teaching. Love the jjob and the clients, hate the paper work, the holidays are good but in summer a little too long. There used to be a Spunk Trumpet on here who said how easy teachers have it. Having had 16 years in one and 9 years in the other sector, I know by far what is the hardest, but most fulfilling.

#36 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

Made redundant from the private sector manufacturing and chemical industry at 38. Went into school teaching. Love the jjob and the clients, hate the paper work, the holidays are good but in summer a little too long. There used to be a Spunk Trumpet on here who said how easy teachers have it. Having had 16 years in one and 9 years in the other sector, I know by far what is the hardest, but most fulfilling.

Spunk Trumpet! An apt description in some cases. :shout:

Also like the description "clients". :)

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#37 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

Well... I suppose an update to this one is in order now.  After a few months of negotiation, contractual stuff and scope setting, I'm starting my nice new role in the NHS on Monday.  Well under half my normal day rate plus a no-expenses contract helping them move to the new reorganised structure.  In summary, they're getting someone who has done this job for years in some of the biggest, nastiest and ugliest companies in the world, delivering everything on time, on budget and to the right scope for the rate of a very inexperienced and very junior project manager.

I decided to stop complaining about public sector maladministration from the outside by putting myself into the firing line and try to do the bloody thing properly, seeing if it's the people in the system or just the whole system that's broken.  I was specifically brought in because I had no NHS experience, I think that says enough as it is, all of those with NHS experience were binned in the first round.

The big positive for me is that it cuts my commute to 30 minutes each way from my typical 2.5 hours each way for London work.  4 hours of my life back from my working day is worth every penny of the reduced rate.

So.. that's it for my consultancy business and private sector work for a while.  Who knows, if I like it I may just close down that part of my business.  It won't be missed.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:15 AM

Good luck. I had worked in electronics and instrumentation for, up to my decision to quit, all my working life. I put my hand up and volunteered to take redundancy without a plan in mind as to what to do. I was sick of all the travel, going to japan for one day and then flying back the next day was the one that I think did it.

I then  finished up in local government doing something I am really interested in, writing software. 1 mile to work and back and very little other travel, less money, more relaxed. Its worth it.

Edited by Padge, 03 January 2014 - 01:16 AM.

• ckn likes this

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#39 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

Well... I suppose an update to this one is in order now.  After a few months of negotiation, contractual stuff and scope setting, I'm starting my nice new role in the NHS on Monday.  Well under half my normal day rate plus a no-expenses contract helping them move to the new reorganised structure.  In summary, they're getting someone who has done this job for years in some of the biggest, nastiest and ugliest companies in the world, delivering everything on time, on budget and to the right scope for the rate of a very inexperienced and very junior project manager.

I decided to stop complaining about public sector maladministration from the outside by putting myself into the firing line and try to do the bloody thing properly, seeing if it's the people in the system or just the whole system that's broken.  I was specifically brought in because I had no NHS experience, I think that says enough as it is, all of those with NHS experience were binned in the first round.

The big positive for me is that it cuts my commute to 30 minutes each way from my typical 2.5 hours each way for London work.  4 hours of my life back from my working day is worth every penny of the reduced rate.

So.. that's it for my consultancy business and private sector work for a while.  Who knows, if I like it I may just close down that part of my business.  It won't be missed.

Good luck, I've got lots of friends working in the NHS and I think they are all in need of some good news and 'positive change'.

May the Force be with you....

• ckn likes this

28m391z.jpg

#40 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,948 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

Good luck and hope it goes well.

• ckn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users