Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2014 Challenge Cup (when, who and how?)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 RichardJ

RichardJ
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

Anyone got any idea when the first rounds for next years challenge cup will be scheduled for and who is likely to be invited in??

#2 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

Haven't heard anything. Suspect all the Tier 3 clubs will be invited. I certainly hope so - we always enjoy being involved when asked, and usually get decent crowds/good media coverage locally. Being in a prestigious competition, with the "road to Wembley" angle, makes the game easier to sell than standard Conference League South matches etc.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#3 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 446 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

I asked the NCL administration the same thing. They have yet to hear from the RFL about the structure of next years competition and dates etc

My teams last league game is 21st September. I'd hate for us to be hanging around till Novemeber to play in the qualifying rounds

Hopefully they'll be at the start of next season

#4 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Our little village turned out in force and did us proud when we beat Thatto Heath

challengecup.jpg

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#5 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've heard that all Challenge cup games will be played in the same year of the competition, so no games until 2014?

#6 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 446 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

I've heard that all Challenge cup games will be played in the same year of the competition, so no games until 2014?

That'd suit us for sure so fingers cross that is the case

#7 Aberdeen Angus

Aberdeen Angus
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

Invited in? As Scottish champions I would hope Aberdeen have EARNED their place.... especially since we have only recently discovered we are not in the Harry Jepson Trophy and neither is any side from Wales.

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Invited in? As Scottish champions I would hope Aberdeen have EARNED their place.... especially since we have only recently discovered we are not in the Harry Jepson Trophy and neither is any side from Wales.

Don't hold your breath, we never got an invite after becoming RLC Champions.

#9 Aberdeen Angus

Aberdeen Angus
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

Marauder - that cannot be right and you have my sympathy. Will prepare for more disappointment just in case we don't get into Challenge Cup draw.

#10 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

Marauder - that cannot be right and you have my sympathy. Will prepare for more disappointment just in case we don't get into Challenge Cup draw.

It looks as though you may have to consider RLRatings' tongue in cheek post on the Harry Jepson thread and enter the BARLA National Cup where I'm sure that you'd be made most welcome.

However I wouldn't expect the competition organisers would contribute to your travel expenses

#11 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

Don't hold your breath, we never got an invite after becoming RLC Champions.

On wikipedia it says you won the regional comp but weren't the premier RLC Champions. Was it that they only invited teams from the RLC premier comp? How many teams were entered from that comp and why weren't you guys invited?

#12 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

On wikipedia it says you won the regional comp but weren't the premier RLC Champions. Was it that they only invited teams from the RLC premier comp? How many teams were entered from that comp and why weren't you guys invited?

The team we beat in the final got the invite so work it out yourself.

#13 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

The team we beat in the final got the invite so work it out yourself.

Ah, I see... That's a teeny bit unfair

#14 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

The Scottish and Welsh champions usually get invited so just wait and see before you complain? Ive watched both in previous competitions but the Welsh champions didn't play last season.

#15 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

I once saw Fife put up a decent show at Normanton in the Challenge Cup.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#16 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

I once saw Fife put up a decent show at Normanton in the Challenge Cup.

Yes, I remember the headline in the Wakefield Express.

Fife show life at the Graveyard

#17 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

I saw Edinburgh get slaughtered at Ince Rose Bridge, but Ive seen Welsh teams win.

#18 Aberdeen Angus

Aberdeen Angus
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Still no word on first round draw - I had heard draw was meant to be today but still no news.

Anyone know when the draw will be made and when fixtures will be publicised?

#19 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

draw early in new year, not heard a definite date, 1st round played 1st Feb.

#20 Aberdeen Angus

Aberdeen Angus
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

Not much time between now and 1st Feb - can't be that difficult to make a draw and give sufficient notice so that folks know what's happening and clubs can make plans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users