Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2014 Challenge Cup (when, who and how?)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Dessie O'Hare

Dessie O'Hare
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

I'm hearing 44 teams entered with 2 rounds on 1st & 22 feb, to not clash with BARLA Nat. Cup.
Top 2 divisions of NCL plus 3 Services plus a dozen or so regional clubs.
11 'community' clubs qualify to professional stage on March 15th.
"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

#22 billybison

billybison
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

I'm hearing 44 teams entered with 2 rounds on 1st & 22 feb, to not clash with BARLA Nat. Cup.
Top 2 divisions of NCL plus 3 Services plus a dozen or so regional clubs.
11 'community' clubs qualify to professional stage on March 15th.

Teams invited are on the rfl website, cant see a club from the Pennine ARL  on the list

#23 Norfolk

Norfolk
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

...but I do notice the Aberdeen Warriors  B)

#24 billybison

billybison
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

...but I do notice the Aberdeen Warriors  B)

If they draw South West London Chargers that would be one hell of a round trip for one of the clubs.

#25 Aberdeen Angus

Aberdeen Angus
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

The minimum distance for any of the teams to travel to Aberdeen, or for Aberdeen to have to travel if they get drawn away, will be 260 miles and if it is Aberdeen vs Royal Navy (Portsmouth according to their website) then it will be 580 miles.

Good job rugby league fans and players like a bit of a day out.

#26 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Teams invited are on the rfl website, cant see a club from the Pennine ARL  on the list

They will be busy playing each other in the  BARLA  Pennine National Cup.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#27 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:09 AM

They will be busy playing each other in the  BARLA  Pennine National Cup.

Nice petty dig.

The Barla cup is open to entries......

Those who do not enter is up to them. But you can enter.

Challenge cup? Well its an RFL cup so invite only. Those who want to enter and are not invited cannot.

Want to enter the BARLA national cup you can, but keep with the digs 'Once A ref' and do down those clubs that cannot enter a closed comp due to not being invited.

Like another dig????

Last time i checked this thread was about the Challenge Cup.

Why attempt to derail it by bringing other comps into it with your little agenda?

Have you not yourself closed threads that have been derail in the reverse situation?

Are you not a hypocrite for that?

Edited by Li0nhead, 20 December 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#28 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Bless

#29 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

well said lionhead I totally agree Adolf moderator seems to have his own agenda regarding the winter league clubs especially the Pennine league. Even super league is having to climb down on the closed shop system which nobody wanted .The Yorkshire and Lancashire Cups along with the National Cup are the most prodigious competitions in amateur rugby league and as such there should be a representative  from these as there always has been before  politics got involved. Teams that have eventually gone on to beat professional opposition in the Challenge cup have come from representatives of these competitions so to make snide remarks about them is not becoming of a moderators position.  

chappy

#30 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

As I have noted on the other topic, it is unreasonable to expect Winter teams to play in a Summer competition. It isn't an agenda it is is common sense.  

#31 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

well said lionhead I totally agree Adolf moderator seems to have his own agenda regarding the winter league clubs especially the Pennine league. Even super league is having to climb down on the closed shop system which nobody wanted .The Yorkshire and Lancashire Cups along with the National Cup are the most prodigious competitions in amateur rugby league and as such there should be a representative from these as there always has been before politics got involved. Teams that have eventually gone on to beat professional opposition in the Challenge cup have come from representatives of these competitions so to make snide remarks about them is not becoming of a moderators position.

Its shocking that winter based teams aren't in the Challenge cup poor from the RFL IMO!

Worth noting that there hasn't been a BARLA Lancashire cup for two years hope that can be resurrected one day
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#32 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

As I have noted on the other topic, it is unreasonable to expect Winter teams to play in a Summer competition. It isn't an agenda it is is common sense.  

and as a player in a winter team let me assure you, that if we were invited to play in this off season comp we would. also, we wouldn't moan about it being in our off season................unlike you seem to do with the BARLA national cup!

#33 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

My only problem with the BARLA National Cup is that it is no longer national and there is not much opportunity to watch it on my side of the Pennines.

#34 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

When one of the top 10 clubs in the country that won 5 top trophies last season doesn't get an invite then im sorry it has to be political what's the point of striving to be the best when you are not given the chance to play the best. I watch Sharlston Rovers beat Dewsbury Rams in front of a 2000+ gate and what a memorable night that was and for them not to have that opportunity as a top amateur club is a down right travesty the RFL and Barla committee want to get their head out of sand and sort this.
chappy

#35 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

I agree with you sussy Sharlston should be included  The Pennine league champions should be there. Don't think the National cup and county cup winners should because these comps no longer are anything other than regional comps. Even so I still think they are  great comps to win. 

#36 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

I agree with you sussy Sharlston should be included  The Pennine league champions should be there. Don't think the National cup and county cup winners should because these comps no longer are anything other than regional comps. Even so I still think they are  great comps to win. 

Er ... hang on a sec Paps ... isn't the Pennine ARL a regional comp or have they taken over BARLA already.

And what about the Cumbrian ARL champions and cup winners and the GMB Hull ARL entry.

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 24 December 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#37 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

http://www.therfl.co...itees-announced

I hope Aberdeen drawn Hull Dockers away. I'll certainly go to that. Early Challenge Cup games at community grounds are always well attended in Hull.

#38 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yes Nev they should all be included  also YML Champs if a non NCL reserve team did not win the title ie  Bramley, Kippax. etc

Edited by old papa, 24 December 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#39 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Draw is live on bbc radio humberside tonight 6:30 - 7:30

#40 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

Aberdeen are away to pilks I think.