TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

NWCL

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#21 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

In Merit Leagues the fixtures are definitely competitive, and it is still a league.

Tell the players from Derby and Leamington that it doesn't matter after the Midlands Merit final on Saturday - especially the 3 that were red carded for fighting.

I would agree that it's not a good long term playing season but it definitely has its place. The world is changing and rugby league must change to adapt.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#22 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

In Merit Leagues the fixtures are definitely competitive, and it is still a league.

Tell the players from Derby and Leamington that it doesn't matter after the Midlands Merit final on Saturday - especially the 3 that were red carded for fighting.

I would agree that it's not a good long term playing season but it definitely has its place. The world is changing and rugby league must change to adapt.

Not always for the better thou Tim and what is the thinking behind collateral damage and soon all the kids will only know is summer rugby at a time when we should be growing the sport, the problems that a lot of junior and youth leagues are facing at the moment will not go away after the collateral damage.

I fear we are going to fall into a much less participation sport with lower standards on the football field. 

Edited by Marauder, 22 August 2013 - 11:33 AM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#23 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

Not always for the better thou Tim and what is the thinking behind collateral damage and soon all the kids will only know is summer rugby at a time when we should be growing the sport, the problems that a lot of junior and youth leagues are facing at the moment will not go away after the collateral damage.

I fear we are going to fall into a much less participation sport with lower standards on the football field.

Sometimes there's not a lot you can do about things that happen in society generally. All sports are struggling, except football. Rugby League suffers from being a game played in limited parts of the country and with a modest, at best, media profile.

It's a great game but frankly it's in a terrible and potentially terminal state in terms of ever being able to grow. I feel I've somewhat wasted the best part of 10 years trying to help grow a game that seems riddled with politics and short term thinking.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#24 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 387 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

What your quoting is exactly the reverse of the situation 3 years ago so why given a good structure couldn't the drift back to a traditional season happen ?

You'll find I am agreeing with you. It could, the option is there...

The only point I added was that I don't think there are the presumed masses of sides wanting to switch back ( i might be wrong and I've nothing against it) but there might be plenty interested in the odd match and it'd be a good idea in my view to provide the option.  It's not my decision, and i'm not directly impacted by it (unless i decide to put my boots on) but it's just a thought!

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#25 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

From a conversation I have had this morning ,there seems to be some positive action to be proposed which will bring the four seasons concept back to the table and we will find a new and exciting competition emerging which will cater for all .

#26 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

It is a worry that established teams are struggling.   I don't think Blackbrook were one of them though

Lost their U14s this year and their 18s are struggling could not raise a team Tuesday night away to Leigh East ,Brook have always been strong at every age group .

Granted they have good numbers down at our level but when they start to lose sides further up the food chain then like I posted before the alarm bells are ringing .

#27 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Lost their U14s this year and their 18s are struggling could not raise a team Tuesday night away to Leigh East ,Brook have always been strong at every age group .

Granted they have good numbers down at our level but when they start to lose sides further up the food chain then like I posted before the alarm bells are ringing .

I was speaking from an OA point of view, both of their teams having strong seasons.  

#28 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

Sorry Spidey I was trying to highlight the food chain supply .

Interesting to note that Brook A have had four out of the last ten games given them as 24-0 s must be frustrating for the players.

#29 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

I was speaking from an OA point of view, both of their teams having strong seasons.  

In two, three, four years from now this situation with the under 14's and under 18's will impact directly on open age rugby

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 22 August 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#30 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Sorry Spidey I was trying to highlight the food chain supply .

Interesting to note that Brook A have had four out of the last ten games given them as 24-0 s must be frustrating for the players.

Same for Crosfields A over the season... Division Three is quite a messed up league.   I think by the end we'll have only played in 16 actual fixtures, including three friendlies

It is frustrating to say the least for the players, it has been hard to get continuity... it was far more competitive the previous season in a lower league

#31 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

I agree that summer rugby will only truly bed in once the juniors (many of whom have only played in 'summer' start coming through.

There are clearly some problems but the biggest one IMO is the fact that some people (particularly east of the Pennines) seem to be willing the whole enterprise to fail.

#32 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

I agree that summer rugby will only truly bed in once the juniors (many of whom have only played in 'summer' start coming through.

There are clearly some problems but the biggest one IMO is the fact that some people (particularly east of the Pennines) seem to be willing the whole enterprise to fail.

That's a wrong assumption in my opinion Pottsy, I think that you're locked into the Yorkshire Mafia conspiracy theory on that one pal.

From where I'm sat it looks as though in Yorkshire there wasn't the desire for a summer game, while over here in the NWC it looks as though everybody was pushed and jumped to the summer. Hence the problems particularly in the lower end of open age and sadly rife throughout the younger leagues. 

And your "summer start" players may find very little ahead of them as, clubs/teams/players peel away from the game at an alarming rate - that is unless they inhabit, "Gar-Gar land" and play for one of the many thriving, teams that he supports.

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 22 August 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#33 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

Same for Crosfields A over the season... Division Three is quite a messed up league.   I think by the end we'll have only played in 16 actual fixtures, including three friendlies

It is frustrating to say the least for the players, it has been hard to get continuity... it was far more competitive the previous season in a lower league

Have players from the more competitive lower leagues been recruited or drafted to fill places in first teams and if so are we seeing the result of this lower down the food chain with cancellations . (Like squeezing the toothpaste)

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#34 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

So, ignoring the existence of the Yorkshire Men's Rugby League and the various junior leagues underneath it, "nobody in Yorkshire wants summer rugby."

So far, so good.

Ok, and all of the teams in the NW were 'forced' to switch (have they got bigger sticks on the sunny side of the Pennines?) other than the nine or ten plucky clubs who've remained 'loyal' to winter.

Right, still with you.

Far be it from me to question the consistency of your logic here, but aren't you being a tiny bit melodramatic here?

It strikes me that one or two of the winter diehards are a little bit miffed that not everyone shares their firmly entrenched views.

Surely it's down to the clubs and the players to decide which option suits them best and for everyone else to butt out?

#35 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Have players from the more competitive lower leagues been recruited or drafted to fill places in first teams and if so are we seeing the result of this lower down the food chain with cancellations . (Like squeezing the toothpaste)

div 3 was/is a nightmare, spread out the teams who are completing fixtures to div 2 & div 4 and overall there would have been less cancellations

Yes some have struggled but not all

#36 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

It strikes me that one or two of the winter diehards are a little bit miffed that not everyone shares their firmly entrenched views.

Surely it's down to the clubs and the players to decide which option suits them best and for everyone else to butt out?

Dear me Mr Potts a coflicting opiion to your own and you're told to butt out - ouch,

#37 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Dear me Mr Potts a coflicting opiion to your own and you're told to butt out - ouch,

Poor comprehension. You're entitled to your own opinion and your own choices but you really should 'butt out' and allow other individuals and clubs to make theirs without the constant childish sniping.

Ps, don't assume you know where I stand on this issue.

Edited by Pottsy, 22 August 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#38 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Poor comprehension. You're entitled to your own opinion and your own choices but you really should 'butt out' and allow other individuals and clubs to make theirs without the constant childish sniping.

Ps, don't assume you know where I stand on this issue.

Individuals are making their own choices and not been swayed by any opinions. But come on Mr Potts you shouldn't act like an overlord and order individuals where to get off in a debate You've had a bad day mate

#39 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Question if we all butt out how do we take the game forward ?

Clubs left the Nwc on the understanding that the standards would improve , less cancelled games etc, etc etc .

It seems on reflection the opposite as occurred so if we don't debate these issues / facts how else can we put corrective action at various forums ?

We don't move forward by burying our heads in the sand , we face some tough challenges to keep our game from collapsing I see worrying trends developing and come across many disillusioned volunteers who are all thinking of leaving the game , but lets ignore it shall we ?

#40 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

Of the hundreds if not thousands of posts on the issue this one hits the nail right on the head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users