Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NWCL

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#41 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Question if we all butt out how do we take the game forward ?
Clubs left the Nwc on the understanding that the standards would improve , less cancelled games etc, etc etc .
It seems on reflection the opposite as occurred so if we don't debate these issues / facts how else can we put corrective action at various forums ?
We don't move forward by burying our heads in the sand , we face some tough challenges to keep our game from collapsing I see worrying trends developing and come across many disillusioned volunteers who are all thinking of leaving the game , but lets ignore it shall we ?

Could it be the volunteers are leaving the game because of the negativity and doom and gloom that seems to affect some clubs and leagues more that others? Is it not down to the leadership to set an example and focus on the positives not the negatives?

#42 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

Edited by Pottsy, 22 August 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#43 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Question if we all butt out how do we take the game forward ?

Clubs left the Nwc on the understanding that the standards would improve , less cancelled games etc, etc etc .

It seems on reflection the opposite as occurred so if we don't debate these issues / facts how else can we put corrective action at various forums ?

We don't move forward by burying our heads in the sand , we face some tough challenges to keep our game from collapsing I see worrying trends developing and come across many disillusioned volunteers who are all thinking of leaving the game , but lets ignore it shall we ?

But you're not 'debating'; you're not offering solutions either. You're just sniping, and you're not on your own.

Total respect to the clubs that CHOSE to switch to summer. Total understanding of why some clubs preferred to stay in winter. Each to their own (is that too hard?).

If summer doesn't work for some clubs, they can CHOOSE to switch back. If others who didn't take the plunge initially now want to make the move, the door is still open. Each to their own. Make your own CHOICES and let others live by theirs.

Sadly, one or two people (including some who are old enough to know better) don't seem grown up enough to manage to abide by this simple principle. I'm sick of seeing people carping every time a fixture in one competition or other is defaulted or some scurrilous rumour goes around that club x is struggling for players.

Summer? Winter? Who gives a monkeys? It's all the same game.

Unfortunately, rugby league has been held back for 118 years by petty, small minded people with petty small minded agendas. It seems nothing much has changed.

Edited by Pottsy, 22 August 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#44 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Unfortunately, rugby league has been held back for 118 years by petty, small minded people with petty small minded agendas. It seems nothing much has changed.

+10 for the entire post but I thought that was a very good statement.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#45 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

Pottsy you are another ill informed individual I have offered a solution to the powers that be and a lot if it is being considered .
Being positive we moved all our game to the summer because the people we represent voted for it , we didn't throw our toys out of the pram we fully embraced the summer concept we have not put any obstacles in the way we have done exactly what was asked and the results so far are drop in participation more cancelled fixtures than ever before and good people walking away from the game because of it .
Now if drawing to people's attention the facts is deemed as being a negative sniper then I wear that hat .

#46 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

Pottsy you are another ill informed individual I have offered a solution to the powers that be and a lot if it is being considered .
Being positive we moved all our game to the summer because the people we represent voted for it , we didn't throw our toys out of the pram we fully embraced the summer concept we have not put any obstacles in the way we have done exactly what was asked and the results so far are drop in participation more cancelled fixtures than ever before and good people walking away from the game because of it .
Now if drawing to people's attention the facts is deemed as being a negative sniper then I wear that hat .

There is a big difference between not throwing toys out of a pram and having the drive to see something succeed. Can you honestly say you have fully embraced the summer concept or is it more like sitting back highlighting any perceived shortcomings with glee? If the people you represent voted for something you weren't prepared to give your support and dedication should you not have stepped aside? Maybe good people are walking away because they haven't got the right leadership to take things forward and are fed up with the negativity? I may be totally wrong but it's just a thought.

#47 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Yes you are totally wrong as again you seem to fail to comprehend what the Nw Juniors have been proactive in promoting playing the game in the better playing conditions we were the only league as I have said before to operate with a winter break ..

As for being committed to the cause as I also administer the fixtures for all six age groups ask all the clubs /coaches about all the phoning and emailing I do each week to ensure we get as many kids playing as possible , I could as you imply just simply say so your game as cancelled and not bother to get games on to back up your ill conceived theory ,but the people what matter most know different .

#48 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Yes but the fact remains you seem very upset that the rfl didn't adopt your exact model and it seems nothing else will suffice. that's certainly the way things come across anyway.

#49 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

Yes but the fact remains you seem very upset that the rfl didn't adopt your exact model and it seems nothing else will suffice. that's certainly the way things come across anyway.

His exact model was never on the board until summer started to fail, he went into summer rugby on the back of everything good that's has been said about it, he is now talking from his finding and pitfalls of the how summer season stands now , if you've not noticed he is for what is the best for the amateur game and the young players.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#50 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

There is a big difference between not throwing toys out of a pram and having the drive to see something succeed. Can you honestly say you have fully embraced the summer concept or is it more like sitting back highlighting any perceived shortcomings with glee? If the people you represent voted for something you weren't prepared to give your support and dedication should you not have stepped aside? Maybe good people are walking away because they haven't got the right leadership to take things forward and are fed up with the negativity? I may be totally wrong but it's just a thought.

And you don't know just how wrong you are Gar and that thought must be very lonely.

By your own admission your support consists of reading websites for info and listening to what committees say, haven't you ever been prepared to roll your sleeves up and fix the game. Are you aware of the work done and the thousands of players introduced to the game thanks to the efforts of Taxi and his very small group of helpers.

The NWC juniors are very well placed to gauge the participation and it must be soul destroying to see their efforts being reversed by the RFL's Lemming - like lunge into summer rugby in the overall sport plan to support the failing professional game.

As I said before, there'll be very little left for the "summer start" players if the figures continue to fall as they have for the last two years so let's all take Mr Potts' advice, butt out and watch the game waste away.

#51 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

What rot.

#52 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

What rot.

Participation at the age groups that Taxi is the fixture secretary of is well down from when they played with a winter break

NCL league having to rely heavily on 2nds and youth players.

NCL `A` teams have to postpone games and play mid-week

NWML 24 - 0 Increasing

Increase in teams travelling short

Edited by Marauder, 22 August 2013 - 10:59 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#53 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

Participation at the age groups that Taxi is the fixture secretary of is well down from when they played with a winter break

Time for a change of leadership? Sounds like a league in need of some fresh blood with energy drive and belief in what they are trying to sell.

#54 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

Jesus Christ! I'm getting really sick of Rugby League now. I just want to watch the game at any level, as often as I can. Everybody is suddenly an expert in all things except playing!

#55 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

Time for a change of leadership? Sounds like a league in need of some fresh blood with energy drive and belief in what they are trying to sell.

:drag:

#56 Stew R

Stew R
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

Here we are again looking at the whole summer/ winter move.

It's understandable that there are some teething problems but are we looking at this as a sport in a now larger market of sports due to the success of the Olympics. 

All the cancelled fixtures and lost players, have we considered why they left, was it the product, the time of year or the atmosphere in the sport

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

#57 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

NCL league having to rely heavily on 2nds and youth players.

NCL `A` teams have to postpone games and play mid-week

NWML 24 - 0 Increasing

Increase in teams travelling short

Its impacting some but not all, clubs need to decide what the best fit for them is, and where they see the future

Everything needs to be considered on club by club basis, Winter for some will work, Summer for others.   But neither side of the debate should criticize the other for the path they have chosen

#58 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

So hence the need to find an happy medium Spidey .
We will get there by taking in all the pros and cons but we can't ignore the negatives which ate impacting on the game. The thing all clubs want is regular meaningfull fixtures to promote the game no matter when we play at the moment IMO we are not reaching that goal on a regular basis some posters are saying lets sit and wait and do nothing that for me is wrong .

#59 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

It may be as simple as exchanging ideas from club to club, find out why it works for one club and not another. Share best practice and all that

There's never going to be a one size fits all on this at the moment, i'll repeat its up to clubs to decide what fits them

#60 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

some posters are saying lets sit and wait and do nothing that for me is wrong .

who's saying that?  No-one in this thread or any other is saying that.

Just because the clubs don't want to switch back on mass to winter isn't them saying they arent taking steps to modify hings to make them work better.

At some point in time the people of these forums need to except that CLUBS CHOOSE what their path might be. winter or summer or a bit of both if the option is provided...

Edited by mmp, 23 August 2013 - 11:01 AM.

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/