Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NWCL

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#161 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

But surely that's pre Super League so the sport as a whole was playing during the winter

The facts are the game under a unfunded BARLA and played in a traditional season along side union and soccer was as big as it is now at open age, in fact since the development officers have been withdrawn the whole development except in the midlands seems to have fallen apart at the seams, I could be wrong but it does look like it was the development officers who where acting as the chief chef and bottle washer at some of the clubs.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#162 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

The facts are the game under a unfunded BARLA and played in a traditional season along side union and soccer was as big as it is now at open age, in fact since the development officers have been withdrawn the whole development except in the midlands seems to have fallen apart at the seams, I could be wrong but it does look like it was the development officers who where acting as the chief chef and bottle washer at some of the clubs.

I think you're well wide of the mark there, on the whole.

#163 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

I think you're well wide of the mark there, on the whole.

I can only go on what guys have been saying on here.

#164 Stew R

Stew R
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

The facts are the game under a unfunded BARLA and played in a traditional season along side union and soccer was as big as it is now at open age, in fact since the development officers have been withdrawn the whole development except in the midlands seems to have fallen apart at the seams, I could be wrong but it does look like it was the development officers who where acting as the chief chef and bottle washer at some of the clubs.

That's around 20 years ago. The sporting landscape had changed massively since then. Rugby union has turned professional. The national lottery now provides huge amounts of funding. The Premier League has changed the face of football forever.
Using stats from that time is ignoring these and many other socio-economic as well as sporting influences.
We need to work with RLs current influences not those of a playing generation ago.

It made me think of these lines from Baz Luhrmann

Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who
supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of
fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the
ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen…

Edited by Stew R, 26 August 2013 - 10:20 PM.

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

#165 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

That's around 20 years ago. The sporting landscape had changed massively since then. Rugby union has turned professional. The national lottery now provides huge amounts of funding. The Premier League has changed the face of football forever.
Using stats from that time is ignoring these and many other socio-economic as well as sporting influences.
We need to work with RLs current influences not those of a playing generation ago.

It made me think of these lines from Baz Luhrmann

Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who
supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of
fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the
ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen…

We have to distrust each other. It is our only defence against betrayal.

Tennessee Williams

Or is betrayal the same as collateral damage?

#166 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

We have to distrust each other. It is our only defence against betrayal.
Tennessee Williams

Or is betrayal the same as collateral damage?

logic like this goes a long way towards explaining the reasons why the game is struggling to move on. Thankfully, numbers holding views such as these are in a rapidly diminishing group. Get a grip and get a life.

Edited by Gar, 27 August 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#167 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

Collataral Damage was the terms of reference used by David Gent hence Marauders quote .
And you are off the pace if you seriously think tMarauder holds a minority view .
The league this thread is supposed to be about is an example of the Collataral damage .

#168 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

I'm fully aware of the quote. Do me a favour and rank the following groups in order of importance to the game of rugby league going forward.

Juniors / youth
Professionals
Elite Amateurs
Amateurs

#169 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

logic like this goes a long way towards explaining the reasons why the game is struggling to move on. Thankfully, numbers holding views such as these are in a rapidly diminishing group. Get a grip and get a life.

I think you will find the numbers are actually growing as the amateur population wakes up to what and where they are being lead, what other reasons do you think the RFL have to try and force the operational rules through so quickly.

I'm fully aware of the quote. Do me a favour and rank the following groups in order of importance to the game of rugby league going forward.

Juniors / youth
Professionals
Elite Amateurs
Amateurs

chicken and egg springs to mind and it looks like you've made a list that you expect us to agree on.

I'm attending a meeting tonight Gar, and one tomorrow night Gar, what are you going to do today to make you feel proud.

Edited by Marauder, 27 August 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#170 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

Juniors / youth
Professionals
Elite Amateurs
Amateurs

Juniors / Youth

Amatuers

Elite Amatuers

Professionals

You see that,s how to answer a question , so now what is it your looking for ?

Edited by TaxiEgg, 27 August 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#171 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Humour me....Mauruder

If my original list was a list that people did agree on and lets assume for arguments sake it was can you answer the following:-

( 1 ) If there was / had to be some collateral damage which group do you think it would be least damaging to the game as a whole for it to occur in?

( 2 ) Which group has benefited most from the switch to summer rugby?

If the truth be known I'd bet my mortgage I put more hours in last week and will put more hours in this week and every week thereafter but this isn't about massaging ego's.

Edited by Gar, 27 August 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#172 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

Interesting Taxi

Edited by Gar, 27 August 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#173 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Humour me....Mauruder

If my original list was a list that people did agree on and lets assume for arguments sake it was can you answer the following:-

( 1 ) If there was / had to be some collateral damage which group do you think it would be least damaging to the game as a whole for it to occur in?

( 2 ) Which group has benefited most from the switch to summer rugby?

If the truth be known I'd bet my mortgage I put more hours in last week and will put more hours in this week and every week thereafter but this isn't about massaging ego's.

1/ professionals (only area that's in the red

2/ Super league clubs

Is that hours with or without pay?

#174 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

So interesting that you still can't answer a direct question ?

#175 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Just interested in what everybody's views are.

#176 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Just interested in what everybody's views are.

Well my view a few years ago would have been selfish and completely different to what it is today.

#177 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

So. the original question I asked was "Does anybody know what is happening with the NWCL this Winter"?

#178 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

So. the original question I asked was "Does anybody know what is happening with the NWCL this Winter"?

few snippets knocking around!

there's this: http://www.nwcl-win.org/clubs

and there's als this which is showing a league table and lists teams: http://www.ecclestonvikings.co.uk/

they dont match but suggest 10 - 15 sides.  There's one there who told me at wekeend they are not playing (although it could be a difference of opinion within the club) but I'd expect it to change more.

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#179 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

From that list MMP, just looks like the 11 who competed last year along with Eccleston Lions

May be wrong of course.   I know Irlam are recruiting at the moment also, so there's two definites

#180 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'm told there is quite a few considering their position .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users