TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Stack

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

just hope town can make him a good offer.

Town have made him an offer,it is upto acton which is the better one.I would expect the offer from Leigh which i have heard(hearsay)would be the better one which included a house and 5 miles away his present home,but you never know town might up there offer especially with thackery moving on to aussie they might give him what he was earning?.I would go to the top to keep jamie acton has i think he will be one of the top props in the country sooner rather than later.
Posted Image

#22 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

I don't think it can be stressed too much how important the 2014 season is to clubs like Town due to the re-structuring. With upwards of 4 or 5 clubs being relegated to Championship 1 it is imperative that we finish in the top 9 to retain our place in the new SL 2. Of course every other Championship club is thinking the same and good recruiting has never been more important. I see Jamie Acton as a good recruit and if it is correct that Thacks is going down under then Acton should be a definite recruit worth paying for.

Edited by Keith T, 22 August 2013 - 11:50 AM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#23 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

I don't think it can be stressed too much how important the 2014 season is to clubs like Town due to the re-structuring. With upwards of 4 or 5 clubs being relegated to Championship 1 it is imperative that we finish in the top 9 to retain our place in the new SL 2. Of course every other Championship club is thinking the same and good recruiting has never been more important. I see Jamie Acton as a good recruit and if it is correct that Thacks is going down under then Acton should be a definite recruit worth paying for.

I agree with what you say Keith, but is it worth bankruting the club to make the top 9?

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#24 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I agree with what you say Keith, but is it worth bankruting the club to make the top 9?

certainly not. getting relegated wont finish the club. seen as though we would have the chance to bounce straight back up. everyone said if we didnt go up last year we would be finished but the likes of oldham are managing just fine.

Edited by wonky, 22 August 2013 - 01:37 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#25 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Who's talking about banrupting the club? At the end of the 2014 season when up to 5 current Championship will drop to Championship 1, it will be much harder to get back up especially if there is only 1 team promoted from that league. All SL2 clubs from 5th to 12th will be receiving between £200k and £150k, whilst Championship 1 clubs will receive about £75k each. With all the extra travel and players losing more time at work,etc, I think there's more chance of a club going bankrupt in that league.

Being really ambitious a team finishing in the top 4 of SL2 picks up either £650k, £600k, £550k or £500k!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#26 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

Wouldn't pay big money for a prop

#27 Port Stephens Sharks

Port Stephens Sharks
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

The pom we have playing for us at the moment thinks it'd be a good idea to have a pre season warm up game early next year... 

#28 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

Who's that?

#29 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Fat dobbo

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#30 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

What would he know he's useless

#31 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

Peter Dobson?