Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Featherstone statement of intent

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

http://www.featherst...le.php?id=12066

This guy is like Des Johnson with deeper pockets.

Have a feeling it will all end in tears.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#2 Mick Thornton

Mick Thornton
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Is that wishful thinking or just a tad envious that our club is attempting to achieve the status of competing in the higher echelons of The Rugby Football League.
Given your said feelings that it is likely to "End in tears" what are you basing your comments on ?.
M.J.Thornton

#3 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

Is that wishful thinking or just a tad envious that our club is attempting to achieve the status of competing in the higher echelons of The Rugby Football League.
Given your said feelings that it is likely to "End in tears" what are you basing your comments on ?.

You haven't won a title in the lower echelons of the RFL. Batley have won the Northern rail cup. You got to keep a plate for a few years.

Edited by Ackropj, 20 August 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#4 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

yes but the plate is for the whole season not just 2 or 3 games winning the plate should have more status than any knock out comp

#5 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Didnt we win the 2012 league and GF????
PROBIZ have chucked a lot of wonga at fev despite some from fax n cas stating across the fora that we'd never see the money.
Folks have predicted a cataclismic collapse from the implosion caused by FN immediate withdrawal from fev for the last three years.... so far he remains involved at fev.
I don't know what motivates the bloke nor do I know why he chose fev .... tho I suspect that's in no small way down to the tenacity of the chairman.
But for now at least he's still here..... as are the continual predictions of armageddon fev style!
Ah well.... another day another dollar etc etc etc
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#6 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

Lol, nope Sheffield won, were you on holiday that day ?.

#7 olddoggy

olddoggy
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

http://www.featherst...le.php?id=12066

This guy is like Des Johnson with deeper pockets.

Have a feeling it will all end in tears.

Are you expecting him to become Feisal Nahaboo-hoo  then?

Not sure why we bother to analyse the possible outcomes when financial "benefactors" get involved in sport.  They only hang around as long as they can see some personal advantage - it's the nature of the beast.   If, however, they bring genuine, if short-lived, benefits to the clubs they latch onto why knock it.  Anyone got a couple of million quid to spare for the Bulldogs?  Come on in and welcome.  The only danger is in believing there is altruism involved.   

Edited by olddoggy, 20 August 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#8 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

I'm really intrigued as to Mr Nahaboo's motivaton for being involved with Fev. It's always a little suspicious when someone rocks up from out of the blue and starts throwing money around. Thank the Lord that Kev didn't sell the club to that 'millionaire' clown who made a bid to buy is a few years back. There wouldn't be a club for us to support in 2013, as the guy turned put to be a big-time fraudster who left a long trail of hefty business debts around Leeds. No doubt we'd have been another casualty.

Edited by TheTerminator, 20 August 2013 - 11:14 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

we can pledge a seven figure sum in an escrow account

An Escrow account no less, that worries me.

Featherstone deserve their shot on the big stage and i hope they get there on merit but i have a feeling the RFL and other Super League Clubs still class then as a small pit village and will put obstacles in their way

#10 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

Lol, nope Sheffield won, were you on holiday that day ?.

Ooops. .. I was stuck in the 2011 time warp!! :lol:
Where's thunderclap when I need him? :lol: :lol:

#11 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

Good luck to them.  To be fair, if any team currently in the Championship go into SL it should be them.  They have been to most consistant club for a few years now.

SIGNATURE

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

It's a wonderfully political statement isn't it? All bluster and boasting with no danger of the bluff being called.

The cash injection is dependent upon a place being made available for Fev in the 2014 SL, whereas it is obvious that this would never happen. The current franchise round runs its course through to 2014 so there is no option to make such a place available in any case. The league structure for 2015 onwards is still under review so no major change would be made to interfere with that. In other words, it ain't going to happen, but it allows this boastful statement to be made without the chips ever being called in.

On a different tack word is that unless the leadership at Fev do stop behaving like Des Johnson did there may be tears before bedtime in any case. Sheridan's sacking and subsequent recourse to a tribunal will reveal more details I hear.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

It's a wonderfully political statement isn't it? All bluster and boasting with no danger of the bluff being called.

The cash injection is dependent upon a place being made available for Fev in the 2014 SL, whereas it is obvious that this would never happen. The current franchise round runs its course through to 2014 so there is no option to make such a place available in any case. The league structure for 2015 onwards is still under review so no major change would be made to interfere with that. In other words, it ain't going to happen, but it allows this boastful statement to be made without the chips ever being called in.

and what's the problem with this bsj?
It got fev on sky news... gets us good column inches in the press. Loads of folk (incl thi sen) are discussing it across facebook twatter and on these fora....
No bad thing there matey..
The premise being if london go #### up fev are happy (and ready) to step up.....
I really don't see a negative there.

Different tack.... not going to comment here.... if it becomes a legal issue then its naff to do so... tho I'm told it won't!

#14 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

I guess that as long as Mr Nahaboo hasn't got a controlling stake in Featherstone Rovers then it's not that much of a risk for the club if they don't make SL and he decides to walk away having not handed over the promised 'cash injection'. However, as we at Batley found out to an almost perilous cost, problems might arise if he decides that he wants to reclaim any investment (aside from the promised 'cash injection') made from the time he arrived at the club. When he left us in 1997, Mr Hobson decided that - despite having been chairman and club owner, he wished to recoup a large sum of money that he had previously pumped in from his own pocket to pay wages/transfer fees etc.   

Posted Image

#15 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Ooops. .. I was stuck in the 2011 time warp!! :lol:
Where's thunderclap when I need him? :lol: :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

I guess that as long as Mr Nahaboo hasn't got a controlling stake in Featherstone Rovers then it's not that much of a risk for the club if they don't make SL and he decides to walk away having not handed over the promised 'cash injection'. However, as we at Batley found out to an almost perilous cost, problems might arise if he decides that he wants to reclaim any investment (aside from the promised 'cash injection') made from the time he arrived at the club. When he left us in 1997, Mr Hobson decided that - despite having been chairman and club owner, he wished to recoup a large sum of money that he had previously pumped in from his own pocket to pay wages/transfer fees etc.   

You're right, of course, but, to be fair, Mr Nahaboo has put his £30000 in as ordinary share capital.  Can't speak for anything that's not required to be filed at Companies House, obviously.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#17 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

PROBIZ have chucked a lot of wonga at fev despite some from fax n cas stating across the fora that we'd never see the money.
Folks have predicted a cataclismic collapse from the implosion caused by FN immediate withdrawal from fev for the last three years.... so far he remains involved at fev.
I don't know what motivates the bloke nor do I know why he chose fev .... tho I suspect that's in no small way down to the tenacity of the chairman.
But for now at least he's still here..... as are the continual predictions of armageddon fev style!
Ah well.... another day another dollar etc etc etc

Agreed fella its a credit to how youve gone about it.Got the club in order and the grounds looking good.Crowd wise maybe you wont be able to compete with the best but you will be up with the rest.

#18 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Good on 'em, Featherstone have more right to a SL spot than the bottom 6 clubs currently in the top flight IMO.

Bradford have gone bust once and are struggling to pay players again. 

Castleford have had a game abandoned this season due to there ground being a sh!ttip and seem to be in a financial mess. 

Wakefield's ground development promises still haven't come in to fruition despite all there talk,

Widnes were not as consistent as Fev have been on the playing side finishing 5th or 6th the year they went up,

Salford nice ground, no fans and severe financial difficulties before Koukash came in.

London that shining beacon of light down in the Capital, who have never won anything or ever really looked like winning anything in all those years.

Let's be honest it was a big injustice they were relegated from SL in the first place, they weren't in a relegation spot when the powers that be decided to axe them, it was as tragic as us and Keighley not getting promoted despite winning the right to play in the top tier.

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

and what's the problem with this bsj?
It got fev on sky news... gets us good column inches in the press. Loads of folk (incl thi sen) are discussing it across facebook twatter and on these fora....
No bad thing there matey..
The premise being if london go #### up fev are happy (and ready) to step up.....
I really don't see a negative there.

Different tack.... not going to comment here.... if it becomes a legal issue then its naff to do so... tho I'm told it won't!

No problem at all Robin. You understand though, as do I, that it is just a clever publicity stunt, but an effective one at that.

I have no axe to grind with Fev nor any other Championship club but we all know that there will be many a slip etc before anyone gets into the golden halo of SL. Talk of London going belly up (which is quite possible) and another club taking their place is also mistaken. The current SL clubs would just decide to play with a reduced league and share out the excess Sky money between themselves.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

No problem at all Robin. You understand though, as do I, that it is just a clever publicity stunt, but an effective one at that.

I have no axe to grind with Fev nor any other Championship club but we all know that there will be many a slip etc before anyone gets into the golden halo of SL. Talk of London going belly up (which is quite possible) and another club taking their place is also mistaken. The current SL clubs would just decide to play with a reduced league and share out the excess Sky money between themselves.

blind side johnny or old mother shipton?

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image