Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The complex issue concerning Amazon and VAT on e-books!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

Reading various topics on this, it seems very complex and not straightforward! Anyone had dealings with Amazon on this or are more knowledgeable? 

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Yes. The last two governments have stuck their fingers in their ears and refuse to listen to anyone who says that physical and electronic books should be given the same VAT treatment. It's an easy source of unexpected extra tax income.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Reading various topics on this, it seems very complex and not straightforward! Anyone had dealings with Amazon on this or are more knowledgeable?

I appreciate that with you being from St Helens that English isn't your first language.

Could you try again please, what is your question?
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#4 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

I appreciate that with you being from St Helens that English isn't your first language.

Could you try again please, what is your question?

I didn't want to disclose too much just yet but here goes. Football In Its Own Words is now finished and being prepared for Amazon. I'm looking at a price of £5.95 with a view to donating £1 to Armed Forces charity SSAFA. Reading about the Vat issue, it seems rather clouded. I read that some publishers could receive as little as 10% per book price. 

I do need to be clear so as not to end up out of pocket.  

#5 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

What VAT issue?

#6 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

What VAT issue?

Vat concerning donating to charity and why is it that some publishers receive less of a percentage per book sold! 

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,348 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Ray,  Do you sell your book to Amazon and they sell them on?   Is Amazon saying they must charge 20% VAT on top of your price? I assume you are not VAT registered. 

#8 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Reading  about Amazon, the company doesn't seem to get many plaudits!

#9 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Ray,  Do you sell your book to Amazon and they sell them on?   Is Amazon saying they must charge 20% VAT on top of your price? I assume you are not VAT registered. 

Hi John, at the moment I'm looking at the options having never dealt with Amazon before concerning e-books. Also, I am not VAT registered. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 20 August 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#10 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Vat concerning donating to charity and why is it that some publishers receive less of a percentage per book sold!

If you're donating to charity then don't let Amazon deduct it at source, you should receive it and then Gift Aid it to SSAFA. That way, for every £1 you donate it's actually worth £1.25 to them as they can claim the Gift Aid element back from HMRC.

#11 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

If you're donating to charity then don't let Amazon deduct it at source, you should receive it and then Gift Aid it to SSAFA. That way, for every £1 you donate it's actually worth £1.25 to them as they can claim the Gift Aid element back from HMRC.

Thanks for that. Also, I just wondered why some publishers receive such a low amount per price of a book?

#12 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for that. Also, I just wondered why some publishers receive such a low amount per price of a book?

I know one first time author who told me he got about 50p per book for hardbacks and ebooks for the first 6 months. After that he got a fixed price one payment offer for the paperback rights and reduced price ebooks after 6 months. He worked out that he got less than minimum wage for his effort.

Not many writers make a lot of money!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#13 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

I have no idea what the issue is. You've not told us. I hope you book is in clearer language.

#14 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

I know one first time author who told me he got about 50p per book for hardbacks and ebooks for the first 6 months. After that he got a fixed price one payment offer for the paperback rights and reduced price ebooks after 6 months. He worked out that he got less than minimum wage for his effort.

Not many writers make a lot of money!

Hi Craig, 

Not so much about making money, more about not being out of pocket, especially when donating to charities. As it stands, the book has cost me a lot of money and perhaps never recovered from sales. 

#15 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

I have no idea what the issue is. You've not told us. I hope you book is in clearer language.

Hmmm. I hope you book is in clearer language! At least some have understood and replied. 

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,348 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

can you e-mail me?  Still have my address? 

#17 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

can you e-mail me?  Still have my address? 

Hi John,

I'l send you a message because your email address went for a walk when changing computers.