Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Syria and Obama

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#241 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Paddy Ashdown made a good speech that every military intervention ever in history has had fallout, both expected and unexpected.  That's the price of taking action.  What it will do though is make a bloody big statement, as with the first gulf war, that we're through with dicking around with countries that treat the most sacred bits of international law as toilet paper.

My thoughts are the same as those of Paddy Ashdown:

“In 50 years trying to serve my country I have never felt so ashamed.”

• ckn likes this

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#242 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Why I voted no

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#243 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Why I voted no

Lily-livered surrender monkey.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#244 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Ultimately I feel sorry for the Syrians and the lost generation of refugees and orphans which this conflict has created

#245 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

When are you deploying to Syria to fight the good fight?

#246 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

When are you deploying to Syria to fight the good fight?

Whoooosh

#247 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

I wish the media would F-off about the so called "special relationship", listening to all the talking heads you'd have thought that the UK had allied themselves with Assad and khamenei and declared war on the US! This was democracy in action with the prime minister putting his case forward and allowing MP's the right to vote on whether the UK should intervene militarily. Get over it please?

#248 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

I wish the media would F-off about the so called "special relationship", listening to all the talking heads you'd have thought that the UK had allied themselves with Assad and khamenei and declared war on the US! This was democracy in action with the prime minister putting his case forward and allowing MP's the right to vote on whether the UK should intervene militarily. Get over it please?

Well said that man

For all you war mongerers please read a copy of 1984 by George Orwell , and find out where the continuos war is located.

It seams like the governments of today are using that book as a text book

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 30 August 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#249 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,565 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

The opportunist Adam Afriyie has stuck his knife in.  This generation's Heseltine?  Stabbing people in the back then wondering why he never gets a sniff of the top job.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#250 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,565 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

https://www.facebook...151810017069604

:P

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#251 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

Talking of which, we Brits eat a lot of cheese...

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#252 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

1239653_958343467692_590352498_n.jpg

#253 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

Good point made by a Syrian lady on a Jeremy Bowen report this evening, to paraphrase -

'Give me a Martin Luther King, someone with a dream for Syria, and I'd be the first person supporting them.'

Lots of Syrian fear the demise of secular Syria as much as they fear Assad.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#254 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

Talking of which, we Brits eat a lot of cheese...

And we surrendered in 1783

#255 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

US set for Syria strikes, etc, etc

"Kerry referred to France as the "oldest ally" of the US, after President François Hollande pledged support for military action against Syria."

Ouch!

Edited by Methven Hornet, 31 August 2013 - 08:35 AM.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#256 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

US set for Syria strikes, etc, etc

"Kerry referred to France as the "oldest ally" of the US, after President François Hollande pledged support for military action against Syria."

Ouch!

How old is Kerry, 12? Utterly childish response from him. Dummy spitting petulance at its worst.

It has been pointed out elsewhere that the US did not exactly rush to our side at the outbreak of WW2 and only entered that war when their own interests were directly threatened, so the UK should take absolutely no lectures from them about the value of alliances.

Kerry's response reveals the true worth of the so called 'special' relationship. It is only special so long as the UK provide slavish support to the US administration. The moment you stop, they will find fast friends elsewhere and begin the insults.

It's also quite revealing that a country which claims to want to uphold democratic traditions around the world, cannot accept when another country disagrees with it as the result of a legitimate parliamentary democratic process.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#257 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,586 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Who needs the Yanks as allies. All they've ever done is try to drag us into wars that they started.

World War 2? they sat back and took our money for ships, armaments and food until 1942. This allowed Hitler to commit  a lot worse  genocide than Assad. If Japan hadn't bombed Pearl Harbour, they'd be still sat there.

Falklands War? Reagan said that the USA had to be "even handed" in its dealings with the UK and Argentina.

Gulf War 1. We were promised big reconstruction conrracts in Kuwait. I think we got fewer than Germany did.

Even now, they sell us their outdated nuclear weapon systems rather than sharing the technology.

For all his faults, Harold Wilson showed a lot of common sense by refusing for our troops to go to Vietmnam. If only Blair had shown the same over Gulf War 2 and Afghanistan.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#258 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,635 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Headline from Eastern Daily Press Norwich Tuesday June 10th 1941: British 40miles into Syria.

#259 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Who needs the Yanks as allies. All they've ever done is try to drag us into wars that they started.

World War 2? they sat back and took our money for ships, armaments and food until 1942. This allowed Hitler to commit  a lot worse  genocide than Assad. If Japan hadn't bombed Pearl Harbour, they'd be still sat there.

Tbf to the Yanks, they had proposed a far reaching peace plan that they hoped would settle European nationalistic squabbles for once and for all. Britain and France said "Sod that, we're going to ##### slap the Krauts". Twenty years later, the British and French then go running to the Americans because the Germans were starting another war. Unsurprisingly they didn't feel particularly co-operative.

#260 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

Who needs the Yanks as allies.

Quite, who wants the most powerful nation on earth to be their ally. We should team up with Chad or somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users