Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Town v York match thread

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

We got out of jail tonight. A fairly error ridden performance where we just and so did enough. Probably the result of fatigue again so well done I bet theres a few sore bodies in the changeroom

#22 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 851 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

Where was carter tonight?
And no forber at all in the last few games?

#23 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

Work for either or both maybe?

#24 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

That was a very courageous performance , and you could tell we were pretty determined to end our home season with a win . We make the top 8 and that's heroic at the end of season one . Two maligned players by some of us at times were the standouts tonight - Mossop and Dowes . Matty was on empty but gave everything . I find Red frustrating . He does good things then shows why he is in this league . Thacks got hooked and never reappeared ? Maybe my eyes but I thought I saw Carter in the warm up , maybe not ? I thought they were unlucky not to win . They were slick , made good yards , had good kicks and their shift to the fringes was excellent . Two of our tries the York fans thought were dodgy ? So a win to finish a solid first season , but looking ahead next year is massive ... We need to improve our error rate which is chronic and kills us . The start of the second half encapsulated it . And we must find more zing , pace and dimensions in attack . Many other teams look livelier with the ball , and so often we look ponderous and a bit lost , as shown by sideways play and basic obstructions . If we smarten up the basics , and find some key personnel to inject some fizz in offense , we have a solid foundation already to build on . Excellent first year foundations , lets build a strong fortress on that next year . Well done under difficult circumstances .

#25 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

That was a very courageous performance , and you could tell we were pretty determined to end our home season with a win . We make the top 8 and that's heroic at the end of season one . Two maligned players by some of us at times were the standouts tonight - Mossop and Dowes . Matty was on empty but gave everything . I find Red frustrating . He does good things then shows why he is in this league . Thacks got hooked and never reappeared ? Maybe my eyes but I thought I saw Carter in the warm up , maybe not ? I thought they were unlucky not to win . They were slick , made good yards , had good kicks and their shift to the fringes was excellent . Two of our tries the York fans thought were dodgy ? So a win to finish a solid first season , but looking ahead next year is massive ... We need to improve our error rate which is chronic and kills us . The start of the second half encapsulated it . And we must find more zing , pace and dimensions in attack . Many other teams look livelier with the ball , and so often we look ponderous and a bit lost , as shown by sideways play and basic obstructions . If we smarten up the basics , and find some key personnel to inject some fizz in offense , we have a solid foundation already to build on . Excellent first year foundations , lets build a strong fortress on that next year . Well done under difficult circumstances .

the york fans need to look at their first try which consisted of forward passes galore.

#26 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

I did mention that !

#27 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

I did mention that !

and rightly so david they were blatant.

#28 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

Phew another hard fought game and well done to the lads for seeing it out successfully. I thought York looked like a good little team and their passing movements was sharp and crisp and they always looked dangerous with ball in hand. We gave away some silly penalties which cost us points and position several times. I thought their number 6 (Brown?) had an excellent game with his organising their team and all their plays came from him.

I don't think the York fans, and well done to the handful that made the trip, could complain about our tries after their first try which had at least 2 forward passes in the move but it was a good inter-passing play and looked good.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#29 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

you could do with a couple of younger forwards and a half back ( 6 ) with a bit of pace to compliment Callum - Lupton has been immense but he would be equally affective at 13 and could interchange with Olstrum. We have spoke about outside backs and the need for a strike centre etc etc but fix the middle up and get rooney back to full fitness and its an all different ball game. 

#30 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

First of all, well done lads on getting a well deserved win and giving us supporters a winning end to the season at home.

York played very well and you could see they were up for this match and could have sneaked the three points at the end.

MOM for me was Declan, with Luppy, Mossop, and Dowes playing well.

Carter I heard was injured from the Barrrrra match. From the conversation Thacks was having in the car park, I very much doubt we will see him again, wasn't to happy about being taken off again ! I would love him to stay but I cant see it.

So again well done everyone, great season, wev had some highs, wev had some lows, but we have done what we had to do STAY UP!  now to get ready for Wembley, come on Wigan :)

Oh nearly forgot, hard luck shaven underneath us again. Town the Real Pride of Cumbria :)  :)

#31 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

Definitely wouldn't even consider resigning Thackeray waste of time - if only he was as good as his ego - last year very good - this year pap

#32 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Well done to all the players that have played in these last couple of weeks, it's been a great first season now lets kick on and do the best we can in the play-offs and started signing and resigning for next season.
Ps first player I would sign is Declan Hulme on 12 month loan .

#33 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

I thought dowes was outstanding yesterday also made some pile of yards

#34 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

A superb victory by the lads who gave their all again. The RFL need a good kicking the way the end of season has fallen for us. The players have put in a heroic stint playing with injuries etc.
We have had a superb season and to be in the play offs barring a couple of weird results is better than I hoped for.

Definitely wouldn't even consider resigning Thackeray waste of time - if only he was as good as his ego - last year very good - this year pap

What is the purpose of this post TF10? When you talk about his ego it sounds like you know the man - do you??
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#35 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

Noticed Olstrum looked like he couldn't run at full belt even if he wanted to yesterday. Wonder if thats him for the season now?

#36 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Noticed Olstrum looked like he couldn't run at full belt even if he wanted to yesterday. Wonder if thats him for the season now?

after seeing karls eye after the game i would be amazed if he could play again this season.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#37 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

after seeing karls eye after the game i would be amazed if he could play again this season.

It was like summat off a Rocky film wasn't it!!!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#38 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Well done to all the players that have played in these last couple of weeks, it's been a great first season now lets kick on and do the best we can in the play-offs and started signing and resigning for next season.
Ps first player I would sign is Declan Hulme on 12 month loan .

I know you would like him for 12 months but i feel he may get more first team games for Widnes next year.His dad thinks 3 months loan be best for him. A player i would think about is Tom Gilmore who is a halfback in our u19s, and is a Academy England International too.He is much better than Craven in ability just Danny Craven is more developed.

#39 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

It was like summat off a Rocky film wasn't it!!!

it was a shocker pal.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#40 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

the york fans need to look at their first try which consisted of forward passes galore.

Yeh all 3 of them, they had more flags than fans !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users