Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

We averaged over. 1100 last season , this wev probably averaged 900

League matches:

2012      1095

2013        892

A loss of 200 (22%) which is significant and no doubt similar throughout the Championship. Most RL club supporters have been adversely affected by the downturn. Even Huddersfield, at the top of SL have struggled to attract 7000.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

League matches:

2012      1095

2013        892

A loss of 200 (22%) which is significant and no doubt similar throughout the Championship. Most RL club supporters have been adversely affected by the downturn. Even Huddersfield, at the top of SL have struggled to attract 7000.

Putting up the cost of the season tickets by a fortune didn't help.  Is the difference in average gate the same as the drop in season ticket sales ?

#23 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

892 as got be our lowest average in years???

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 26 August 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#24 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

Well il turn up Tuesday, where is the meeting? Clearly something as to change next season and marketing of the club needs to start before it gets too late!

It will be really good to see you there. We have lots of ideas, but need more help.

#25 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

League matches:

2012 1095
2013 892

Things need to change drastically, or in ten years time there won't be a professional club left in the HW area. Running a professional sporting club on sub-1000 crowds is unsustainable, and year upon year of 'robbing Peter to pay Paul' can't continue forever. The issue for both our clubs is that there doesn't appear to be any way to increase crowds on a long-term basis - not even relative success at our current level. The interest just doesn't seem to be there and hasn't been for many years now. Eventually, that lack of apathy will simply strangle the life out of us. The hands are loosely gripped around the throat as we speak. Its not just Batley and Dewsbury, but a whole host of Championship/Championship 1 clubs.

Posted Image

#26 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

[quote name="Flying 5" post="2775489" timestamp="1377556198"]

It will be really good to see you there. We have lots of ideas, but need more help.[/quote. What time and where??

#27 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

892 as got be our lowest average in years???

96                    1477

97                    1470

98                    1155

99                    1117

00                    1866

01                    1346

02                    1134

03                     950

04                     809

05                    1081

06                     878

07                    1369

08                    1196

09                    1263

10                    1145

11                    1048

12                    1095

13                    892

Analysis of such figures can prove much or little.

My personal opinion is that there is a combination or reduced discretionary expenditure (it isn't actually necessary to go to a game but it is to buy food) coupled with a breaking of habitual behaviour combined with an already ageing audience. However, simply because numbers are in decline doesn't mean that they must stay so, but the game as a whole needs to gain a higher profile somehow.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#28 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Was it 2004 we finished second bottom of championship 1, just above London Skolars ? Bad that that season, we averaged around the same as this

#29 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

Damn BSJ and his Vulcan Logic!

Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#30 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

[quote name="Flying 5" post="2775489" timestamp="1377556198"]

It will be really good to see you there. We have lots of ideas, but need more help.[/quote. What time and where??

Hanging Heaton WMC 7.30pm start.

#31 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Few other factors re attendances. Three Cumbrian clubs, TV fixtures and a shocking night weather wise/late kick -off for Fev game which probably cost us a few hundred fans. But yes most CC clubs are down which is worrying.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 27 August 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#32 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Plus a late Monday night kickoff after a bank holiday at home to batley probs cost us plenty too. Either way I think as a club wev been poor at promoting what we have and can't just blame the state of rugby league for this, we need to do all we can to get better crowds

#33 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

Plus a late Monday night kickoff after a bank holiday at home to batley probs cost us plenty too. Either way I think as a club wev been poor at promoting what we have and can't just blame the state of rugby league for this, we need to do all we can to get better crowds

Agreed, but the game needs to be perceived as attractive in the first place or, no matter how good the team only people with a deep-rooted interest in RL will attend in any case. Just look at cricket - very small crowds attending county championship games the along came one-day games, followed by 20/20; lots of TV coverage and presentation of the players as something special etc; sell-out crowds. Without that kind of exposure their game might still be in the doldrums.

And, before someone starts to say how things used to be, unfortunately that is irrelevant. The game and the clubs involved need to connect with today's audience - a Field of Dreams mentality will simply lead to further declines.

I would like to see an RLF strategy into which the Championship clubs could enter - it won't be easy nor a quick fix but a route forward needs to be devised.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#34 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Agreed, but the game needs to be perceived as attractive in the first place or, no matter how good the team only people with a deep-rooted interest in RL will attend in any case. Just look at cricket - very small crowds attending county championship games the along came one-day games, followed by 20/20; lots of TV coverage and presentation of the players as something special etc; sell-out crowds. Without that kind of exposure their game might still be in the doldrums.

And, before someone starts to say how things used to be, unfortunately that is irrelevant. The game and the clubs involved need to connect with today's audience - a Field of Dreams mentality will simply lead to further declines.

I would like to see an RLF strategy into which the Championship clubs could enter - it won't be easy nor a quick fix but a route forward needs to be devised.

I can not agree more!

As a family 2/3 seasons ago we had 2 adults and 2 kids season tickets, this year it was 1 adult and 1 child, next year it will be 1 adult for me!!!!!

There is nothing at Dewsbury to attract kids and families, all we offer is the match at 3.00pm, which is just not enough for today's kids.

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#35 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Again dewsburys poor marketing losing fans.... Abit of a theme here! No beer in south stand bars, no raffle tickets.. No marketing hence poorer crowds, no offers pre match on drinks, hence the club lose thousands a year in bar money that other clubs fans spend away from our own stadium. Mark and the board need to listen to its supporters and we all need to work together to get the best for the club!!! Ideas are here, now the club need to listen to these ideas and take them on board. If they don't all I say is expect a further decrease next year. I actually think all this needs paying urgent attention to because its about the clubs future and would be nice to get a reply from the club if possible to atleest acknowledge they the club are listening to the supporters concerns? Off course I doubt wel get a reply??

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 28 August 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#36 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

Again dewsburys poor marketing losing fans.... Abit of a theme here! No beer in south stand bars, no raffle tickets.. No marketing hence poorer crowds, no offers pre match on drinks, hence the club lose thousands a year in bar money that other clubs fans spend away from our own stadium. Mark and the board need to listen to its supporters and we all need to work together to get the best for the club!!! Ideas are here, now the club need to listen to these ideas and take them on board. If they don't all I say is expect a further decrease next year. I actually think all this needs paying urgent attention to because its about the clubs future and would be nice to get a reply from the club if possible to atleest acknowledge they the club are listening to the supporters concerns? Off course I doubt wel get a reply??

Who's going to implement them?

The Amber Ribbon could market the club fantastically well and take the fans' ideas on board, but not enough people are prepared to give up their time.

#37 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

We are taking it for granted that if we dont get a BP Town wont either.Could still end up playing the scummers.

#38 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Who's going to implement them?

The Amber Ribbon could market the club fantastically well and take the fans' ideas on board, but not enough people are prepared to give up their time.

Dewsbury Rams is a business, it is no longer a members club.

I feel sure in all the other businesses Mark owns he will have a plan, and a budget to achieve his targets, Dewsbury Rams is no different.

Marketing the club falls within these budgets and at the feet of the BoD's, not the supporters.

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#39 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Dewsbury Rams is a business, it is no longer a members club.

I feel sure in all the other businesses Mark owns he will have a plan, and a budget to achieve his targets, Dewsbury Rams is no different.

Marketing the club falls within these budgets and at the feet of the BoD's, not the supporters.

Very true HJ. After all we have no idea of the financial health or otherwise of the club, only the shareholders will know that.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#40 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Yeah but Tom, half the ideas we give the club don't take too much time or money. If the club appealed for help like the year we made season tickets cheap and handed out thousands of flyers then fans would help. The one season we did promote and market our club, the club reaped rewards with 1000 home fans per match yet we could still do a hell of a lot more!!! So many great ideas on here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users