League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fans of the future.. Increasing support!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

Don't take this offensive but if you look around the south stand half of the south standers ain't getting any younger and our support base doesn't seem to be bringing enough kids to matches while crowds have been poor all year. This got me and my dad talking earlier and we really believe that if the club do nothing to get new fans in, especially kids we reckon in the next 5 years our support base will continue to decrease and we can't afford to lose any more support because before long our fan base will end up 400 esoecialy if we do nothing and continue to undermarket. Poor crowds wont help attract new fans too especially if they get any lower. people want to be in a ground with an atmosphere and feel the passion with people around them so I think nows the time the club acts before its too late . Heres what we need to do to get fans in but the club need to take note and act! Listen to the fans.. We know what people want and what's needed obviously on top of a decent team! :) Firstly, getting into local amatuer clubs and schools ext and dish out free season tickets to all kids in dewsbury and i mean all!!! If we don't employ a development officer this year then insure Glenn Austin or roger could quite easily go around schools and local clubs to dish them out?? Also need to get new local community groups or bands involved which could also improve our match day experience, wether its local dance groups or things like letting local bands play on match days prematch and also bring back pre match curtain raisers again. Again insure austin and glenn could easily explain to the local amatuer teams when delivering tickets that they can play in curtain raisers if they ring the club and sort it in advance?? All these will help the match day experience and should increase the support whilst not losing the club money??? The clubs under marketing itself yet we have the best Mascot in the league whos always at events, why not give him some free tickets to dish out on his travels to new untried supporters?? Why not bring back bring a mate for free next season to afew games for season ticket holders to matches against 2 sides who won't bring no fans? Again we won't lose money on this!!! maybe next season could be a good year to make season tickets cheap again like 40 and 60 quid, like the year we won every game! imsure the majority of rams season ticket holders won't mind paying the same price for a season ticket as this year for next season, if this is the case and current season ticket holders agree to pay it if you explain to them in an email and at the popular fans forum the reason the clubs making them cheap is to get fans interested in the club again but explain the club would be greatfull if supporters still paid the standard season ticket price, insure the majority would pay the standard price! I know I would and many more of the hardcore support would so again the club won't lose out? If we did all these then next season insure we'd smash the 1000 home support barrier every week just like we did in championship 1 the year season tickets was cheap? Discuss and feel free to add ideas?? What will improve your match day experience? The south stand bar with a better variety??? Anything else to add for the club to read feel free to add and discuss??????

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 23 August 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#2 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

As a family our two lads would love it if the club would sort out the grass area in the corner near the badger bar. It's a small thing I know but I'm sure most who read this would have noticed the younger end playing their own games here during the match. Always at least a dozen or more and often the away kids would join in.
This allowed us as parents to enjoy the game while been able to keep an eye on the kids and often a small troop of them would wonder down to the fence to watch the action for a while, before resuming their own game..
In comparison I assume this would be a fairly cheap and easy thing to do.
Sometimes the little things mean a lot.
Why not have a half time goal kicking competition for the kids. Really a bunch of 5 to 14 year olds ain't going scuff the playing surface doing this. Roger could take the helm and adjudicate.

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#3 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

We need to discuss these ideas and put them all forward to the club. Maybe we could arrange an amber ribbon meeting meeting in the next week or so for fans to discuss ways to improve our match day experience and improve crowds??? Could we do this Charlie and then put them forward to the club or even invite a club representative along to the meeting? After all its a big part of the clubs future? All the above ideas cost very little and would improve crowds and match day experience

#4 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

Also been mensioned previously as the south stand bar having a bottle bar like at batley.

#5 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Also nobody updates the rams twitter or official Facebook page which again is poor marketing as it costs nothing and advertises the club for free. The clubs crowds will only get worse if zero marketing continues next season and we lose any more fans I can't see how the club will survive because the majority of our fans ain't getting no younger the younger generation of rams fans coming through isn't large at the minute.

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 25 August 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#6 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

It's a shame because at the beginning of the season the communications coming out of the club were excellent.

Admittedly some were overhyped but it seemed to create a bit of a buzz about the club.

Perhaps when Tom's commitments with the RL World Cup are over the club could be in a position to offer him a job?

I'm sure his involvement on the marketing, PR and all round running of the club would more than cover his salary?
Posted Image

#7 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

I agree mate!

#8 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 879 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

Certainly this forum is alot quieter than a few years ago. I don't seem some posters on here at all.
Could we look into a leaflet drop for next season's tickets like Bradford did.I think there is about 20k households in Dewsbury. Could we do half ? Some rough maths .It's about £150/200 for the leaflets plus the design and another £250/300 for delivery. Hit rate for leaflets is poor maybe 0.5% but it could potentially bring in 50 Extra season tickets and let people know there is a pro rugby team in the town.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#9 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

Sure this has come up before, but how about 1/2 price entry to super league season ticket holders. Quite often you see Wakefield, giants & rhinos shirts at our games. Ok these few come already, bit it might encourage them to tell their fellow supporters about it on Friday night at the respective super duper league games. Surely this would be relatively cheap & easy to implement?

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#10 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

So many things the club could try but instead this season wev done a big fat zero marketing. People ain't guna just turn up from reading the reporter! Takes more than that to get fans to games!

#11 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Really think we should be getting more out of our relationship with the Bulls,half price for season tickets holders of each clubs when one tam isn't playing.Maybe we could get a mention on the bulls. website or in their matchday programmes,when our upcoming games are on.That is if we still have duel-reg next season.

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Duel regs at half-time - that'd bring in the crowds.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

It's a shame because at the beginning of the season the communications coming out of the club were excellent.

Admittedly some were overhyped but it seemed to create a bit of a buzz about the club.

Perhaps when Tom's commitments with the RL World Cup are over the club could be in a position to offer him a job?

I'm sure his involvement on the marketing, PR and all round running of the club would more than cover his salary?

Think Tom might be going on to bigger better things after he has made the world cup a massive success,hope he's got a bit of time for the rams.

#14 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Ive had a year out but i will be back next season with John (6) and Jack (5) and as long as the the junior season ticket is still in place ill be happy.

marketing is a science in its own right. I have a feeling that the bring a friend offer basically resulted in non-season ticket holders saving £13 for a game last season.

I would like to see more entertainment for the kids but i dont mind paying for them to enjoy it.

Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#15 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

On thing that will bring back the speckies next season.A good result in the play offs and the prospect of a good team next year.

#16 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

On thing that will bring back the speckies next season.A good result in the play offs and the prospect of a good team next year.

I wish that were true Equalizer, but if it were then Batley would be pulling 1000+ for every home game (not knocking, simply observing). Clubs and the game in general need to create a very positive buzz around the sport and individual games (events?) DTID's original point is key - we need to create interest amongst the youngsters otherwise the future will be bleak.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#17 dog80

dog80
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

Youth is the answer because their tomorrows adults. All rugby league teams should give under 12 s free entry. Everyone has a niece,nephew,grand kid they could take.

#18 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

I wish that were true Equalizer, but if it were then Batley would be pulling 1000+ for every home game (not knocking, simply observing). Clubs and the game in general need to create a very positive buzz around the sport and individual games (events?) DTID's original point is key - we need to create interest amongst the youngsters otherwise the future will be bleak.

I think you are right. Other lessons to be gained from us are that it is easier to lose supporters than gain them and any kind of negativity will hit you hard. Both Dewsbury and Batley are fighting similar circumstances  in just trying to survive and at the moment both clubs are simply keeping their heads above the water I reckon.

#19 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Might be the only way to go to let. kids in for free,when with a paying adult,think this happens at Giants game,but i might be wrong.

#20 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

I really miss doing the Dewsbury Rams media stuff, but it isn't that I don't have time to do it any more. It's a conflict of interests as I am technically an employee of the RFL. I probably shouldn't even be posting this for that reason, but hey - I can't stop being a Dewsbury fan!

I don't know what I'm doing next year but I'd love to start doing it again if the club will have me. I don't want paying for it. I love the club and the fulfillment I got from helping the club be a bit better in an area was weak was reward enough.

There are a lot of good ideas on this thread. Some might work, some probably won't, but I don't think the club is short of ideas, just the staff and resources to carry them out.

When I 'started' last year, I didn't replace anybody, I created a role that didn't exist because the staff already at the club had important jobs to do, such as running the facility (function rooms etc.) and football administration.

I know first hand that the people at the stadium (and there's not many of them!) love the club and are motivated by that. If anybody there was just in it just for the money, then they wouldn't be at Dewsbury and probably not even in Rugby League!

Standing on the sidelines and criticising, and telling the club they should be doing this that and the other is easy. It's much harder and requires a much bigger commitment to actually help put some of the ideas into practice.

There is a small but unbelievably committed group of volunteers at the Rams who between them pretty much hold the place together. Some are more visible than others, but importantly each of them gives up their time to provide a service or offer a skill to help take the club forward.

There's another small group of people who are trying to make things better at the club, and again, they are not short of ideas - they are short of people to help put them into motion.

There are literally dozens of responsibilities The Amber Ribbon could take from the club and do well, but they simply do not have enough man power to do it.

Marketing the club, communicating with fans, updating the website, organising away trips, booking pre-match entertainment, liaising with local amateur clubs, organising fans forums/functions - we could create roles for each of these areas, which would require a couple of hours a week, but can we find people willing to fill them?

I'm sure the club would be delighted to receive some help in these areas and, in The Amber Ribbon, we have an umbrella organisation that can provide any willing volunteers with a little backing and structure.

You'd be amazed how much difference a small commitment a week can make, but that dreaded C word is the key - and it really has to be fans of the club that do it.

When I had to step down from my role at the beginning of this year, I put together a small media team. I had to find people outside of the club as nobody who supported the club stepped forward. They've since moved on into paid roles, and unfortunately nobody else has stepped up to fill the gap.

I've just received a message on Facebook from somebody who's offered to update Twitter, and I'm sure she'll do a great job. Box ticked, job done! Who's going to join her and make a difference?

The other way in which we can all help without really lifting a finger is to become better ambassadors for the club.

Talk about the club at the pub, on social media, to your mates, to your colleagues, to other parents when you pick up your kids at school - and tell them what they're missing!

It scares me how much damage is done by people who incessantly talk down our club to anybody who'll listen. Let's turn people onto the club and not scare them off!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users